Award Waitlist Clearance

Old Jan 30, 11, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Award Waitlist Clearance

I booked two one way award seats in Biz SFO-HKG-SIN last May for travel this April. My husband has since changed jobs and we are now able to set our own vacation time. I called UA last Nov. to try and get the tix changed to depart four days earlier and have been waitlisted for the flights since then.

My question...when does UA start clearing waitlists for award tix? We want to fly to Bali for a few days before boarding our ship in Singapore, but I'm not comfortable buying air and hotel assuming the waitlist will clear, and if it doesn't clear until a couple of days beforehand it will be too late to get decently priced tickets. The flights are wide open right now, but realize anything can happen. We are both 2P so are on some sort of priority list.

I just got off the phone with a supervisor and was told that "Predicting when a waitlist will clear is like trying to predict one's own death." A bit dramatic I thought.

Anyone have any experience or insight?

Many thanks!
Old Jan 30, 11, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by Fogmalkin View Post
"Predicting when a waitlist will clear is like trying to predict one's own death."
Except that only one of those things is inevitable, and I wish the other one were instead.
Old Feb 2, 11, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Bumping this up to say that our connecting flight from Hong Kong to Singapore cleared yesterday. Hoping that the long haul flight SFO-HKG will clear the date change waitlist "relatively" soon so we can buy our air to Bali.
Old Feb 2, 11, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
Is award waitlist clearance even likely?

To partly hijack the thread, do we even believe that IM or whoever will release additional award seats just because a flight is lightly loaded? I would think not, at least for international flights for reasons similar to not "freely" upgrading internationally just to fill premium cabins.

I do have a dog in the hunt though, as I have a award date change on waitlist for my dad. Intra-asia connector is waitlisted, but NRT-IAD already confirmed.
Old Feb 2, 11, 9:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by fanger View Post
To partly hijack the thread, do we even believe that IM or whoever will release additional award seats just because a flight is lightly loaded? I would think not, at least for international flights for reasons similar to not "freely" upgrading internationally just to fill premium cabins.....
if the question is, will C (international) or F domestically go out empty if there is a waitlist --- no, the GA will/should empty the waitlist if there is available space independent of the amount of NC/NF. However, UA will not move folks from C into F just to make space in C for upgraders.

If the question is award seats in C, IM will not necessarily open enough XC to fill a cabin close to flight time (and the same caveat as above about C-> F moves) -- however it is not usually to see XC close to flight time for lightly loaded flights
Old Feb 3, 11, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
if the question is, will C (international) or F domestically go out empty if there is a waitlist --- no, the GA will/should empty the waitlist if there is available space independent of the amount of NC/NF. However, UA will not move folks from C into F just to make space in C for upgraders.

If the question is award seats in C, IM will not necessarily open enough XC to fill a cabin close to flight time (and the same caveat as above about C-> F moves) -- however it is not usually to see XC close to flight time for lightly loaded flights
Mainly I was interested in XY. If one waitlists for an economy saver award on a given date, will it clear near the date of departure if for example the flight is <80% full? My sense is not necessarily; the saver award inventory decision is only partly, but not totally coupled to actual capacity. But I don't really know.

thanks for your response.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: