G is now a revenue fare for United

Old Jan 29, 2011, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Virgin America's last flights from YYZ are April 4 or 5th, I believe. And I guess that's a good reason why UA would have K fares in SFO/LAX - YYZ. I bet those fares are pretty much gone already now.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 5:34 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Superguy
UA allowing UDU on _CA fares? I haven't worked directly for the gov't for a few years now, and YCA fares used to be exempt from the comp upgrades.
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Not sure... Some airlines have changed the fare code to create one specifically for government contract that prevents instant upgrades for those fares and pushes them down in the fare order...

In the past, some airlines would book government fares directly into Y, which meant instant upgrades or puts government employees at the very top of the upgrade list... Now that is not the case anymore...

However, I do not know where UA puts those fares in the upgrade order and whether they are eligible for UDU or not...
UDU works on all gov fares and the upgrade order is based on the fare basis so an HCA fare will get upgraded before a QCA fare (with elite status being equal).

Back in the days of automatic free upgrades on UA for full Y fares the rules specifically excluded government Y fares. We had to use SWUs, CR-1s, 500 milers or miles to upgrade a gov Y fare.

The gov fare basis you get booked into depends on the contract for that route, the buckets that are available at the time of booking, and the current price. If the contract only stipulates a YCA fare for a particular route you always get a YCA. For other routes you can get just about any fare basis. So a flight that is being offered to the general public for cheap will probably book into a lower bucket (such as TCA). For higher priced flights you're likely to get booked into YCA but still at a much lower price than the current open market price since the YCA fare is capped by the GSA contract.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 5:27 pm

Cannot apply E-certs

Seems like E-certs cannot be used on the G fare Hopefully that just means they have not re-programmed the system yet, as the new G fare is also a published fare.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 5:43 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by UAFlyer
Seems like E-certs cannot be used on the G fare Hopefully that just means they have not re-programmed the system yet, as the new G fare is also a published fare.
Ugh, give web-support a ring and hope you get a good agent
Old Feb 3, 2011, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
1K agent that I spoke to last night mentioned how G was still listed as a travel agent fare in her system, and should not be showing up online. When I mentioned that it was there, she said something about UA & CO working towards common fare classes, etc..
Old Feb 3, 2011, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
Originally Posted by da1dan
I was told it will earn miles and is upgradeable.
Does anyone know if G will also earn EQMs? I booked an MR earlier today to Miami, and only just now realized that it was booked in G.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 11:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Mainliner
Does anyone know if G will also earn EQMs? I booked an MR earlier today to Miami, and only just now realized that it was booked in G.
if you booked it on united.com, it will
Old Feb 4, 2011, 6:52 am

G class use to be used for booking NRPS (positive space) bookings for employee travel.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Not so sure about that. I talked to a couple of people and the indication is G will give you regular miles but not elite miles.

Elite and regular miles fares: Y,B,M,E,U,H,Q,V,W,S,T,L,K

Only regular miles: X,I,O,G

Update: I now called Mileage Plus again any the lady told me G will get both regular and Elite miles. So who knows. I would hate to book a few flights for EQM's and find out I just got regular miles. If you do get EQM's, then Elite Silver status can be had for around $800. Doesn't seem too bad.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 4, 2011 at 3:10 pm Reason: merge
Old Feb 4, 2011, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
I booked a G-fare MR this past week (I didn't know about this thread or G fares in general) and at least my Upgrade is Waitlisted...

I'll report back if I get mileage credit or not, but this has got me mad for sure, since I've never had to worry about mileage credits before the merger!

-jeremy
Old Feb 4, 2011, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K SPG Plat HHonors Diamond
Clarification....booked 5 MR's phx-phl for 179.

Talked to mileage plus...at first he said no they do not earn EQM, but do earn RDM.

However after I mentioned all my flights were codeshared UA/CO...with CO metal in G fare...he stated those flights will earn 100% EQM/RDM.

edit- Called 2nd time and she also confirmed this for me.

Last edited by qoodoo; Feb 4, 2011 at 3:45 pm
Old Feb 4, 2011, 4:52 pm

I sure hope the G fare earns both EQM and RDM. I was about to book a trip just now, but saw that one of the legs were on a G fare... so now I'd rather wait and see what happens. Hope someone reports back soon with their experiences.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 10:37 pm

What if I booked on CO website (UA metal)? Just talked to the agent who said it will accrue miles but was dumbfounded when I asked about the distinction between EQM and RDM.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 11:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by GTHCGTH
What if I booked on CO website (UA metal)? Just talked to the agent who said it will accrue miles but was dumbfounded when I asked about the distinction between EQM and RDM.
See no reason this shouldn't earn RDMs & EQMs as any other discount economy fare. It is the practice of UA & CO (now) to have all paid published fares as mileage earning. (note occasionally UA has offered a Tware G fare that did not earn miles)
Old Feb 5, 2011, 12:00 am

See no reason this shouldn't earn RDMs & EQMs as any other discount economy fare. It is the practice of UA & CO (now) to have all paid published fares as mileage earning. (note occasionally UA has offered a Tware G fare that did not earn miles)
Perfect. Thanks. Will report after it posts. Fare just popped up yesterday within my 24 hour cancellation window and knocked my $650 trip down to $250.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.