Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who else prefers the rear-facing C seats?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2011, 7:36 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Silver, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Calmday
Thanks for the responses. I did a little more searching and found loads of info on the topic. Mostly saying exactly what you guys did.
Hopefully you read somewhere that once up in the air rear facing seats fully extended put your head above your feet as opposed to the opposite in forward facing seats.

I find it difficult to sleep in forward facing seats. Happy travels!
Old Mar 11, 2011, 7:43 am

Programs: UA1K - SPG Plat
Originally Posted by cocaine
Hopefully you read somewhere that once up in the air rear facing seats fully extended put your head above your feet as opposed to the opposite in forward facing seats.

I find it difficult to sleep in forward facing seats. Happy travels!
yup - i went to SYD in the rear facing seat and returned in the forward facing seat - i slept much better in the rear facing seat. i am not sure why, but the forward facing seat does have your feet higher.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 8:02 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Originally Posted by OMAguy
yup - i went to SYD in the rear facing seat and returned in the forward facing seat - i slept much better in the rear facing seat. i am not sure why, but the forward facing seat does have your feet higher.
I believe that aircraft generally fly at about a 3 degree "up" angle to get proper airflow on the plane and wings. As a result, the nose is always slightly higher.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 8:08 am

Programs: UA1K - SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Vulcan
I believe that aircraft generally fly at about a 3 degree "up" angle to get proper airflow on the plane and wings. As a result, the nose is always slightly higher.
that makes total sense - thank you for that explanation. it is like the old DC10s that used to fly at an even higher of an up angle...
Old Mar 11, 2011, 8:48 am

Programs: EK Gold, UA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold
A bit strange on on take off and landing as you are doing opposite of what is normal but overall no difference.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 10:03 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP (LT Pt)
I concur with cocaine - I prefer the rear facing as I find it much easier to sleep. The only time they might be worse is on takeoffs as you have a few minutes where you're leaning forward against the belt and your legs can dangle somewhat... but that's never been an issue for me.

I find rears work better to see flight attendants too, if you need to get their attention.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 10:06 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA, HH Silver, MR Platinum
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Tour: BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.732 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Obviously a small sample size here, but my one and only rear-facing trip to date was noteworthy for being (a) the best I've ever slept on an airplane, and (b) the queasiest I've ever felt on an airplane.

Takeoff and landing felt strange, but were not unpleasant.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, RCC, PreChk , Hertz 5* Gold, HH Silver, SPG Gold thx to Amex Plat
The only quibble I have with this configuration is, the seats across the aisle face your direction. Not to say in the normal configuration, people across the aisle can still look at you. But it feels odd when they face you.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM , Marriott Amb, Hyatt D, HH D, Hertz PC
I will take 13J upstairs on the 747 anytime! I also find rear facing seats much more conducive to a good sleep, especially upstairs.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Plat
I enjoyed the rear-facing seats on a RT recently. It almost reminded me of riding in the rear-facing station wagon seats back in the day...it was fun because you were facing the opposite way of what you're used to.

Old Mar 11, 2011, 3:27 pm

Programs: United 1K, Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Exec. Elite
I recently did this on a domestic flight. I enjoyed it. Prior to take off a woman sitting near me called the FA over and said "I don't like riding backward, I can't believe you would do this to a 1K" The FA asked if anyone would trade and someone did. Aparently she had never done it this way.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I lve the rear-facing seats! I remember the rear-facing ones on WN years ago -- with a table. I always went for those t.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by xyzzy
I lve the rear-facing seats! I remember the rear-facing ones on WN years ago -- with a table. I always went for those t.
Ahhh, the party seats, as one WN FA advised me.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 1kBill
Ahhh, the party seats, as one WN FA advised me.
+1

PHX-LAX, 2003!

---

I have never been on a re-configured 763 in a forward facing C-Class seat. It has always been rear-facing! I flew home from SYD as well in a rear-facing seat upstairs and slept like a baby.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
My only ride in C was a rear facing 744 new config. It was the last row window seat in the upper deck, which I find somewhat significant for this reason: I fell asleep and then woke up near landing time, had no frame of reference (can't see any other people except seatmate) and half asleep looked out the window and saw the wing pointing the "wrong" way. I had about a 1 second panic attack until I realized I was in rear facing seats. I like them. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.