Wiki Posts
Search

When do you make your reservations ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2011, 2:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Premier Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
When do you make your reservations ?

So, here it is 0200 again and I'm searching .bomb, getting ready to call the 1K line and book some reservations. I find that for things that are more than just a simple shuttle flight and require "contemplating the ifs" as it were, are best done long after friends online have gone to sleep, after I've wrapped up work for the evening and Mrs. Jet'Dillo has gone to bed.

Then I have the time and bandwidth to actually pore through ExpertFlyer, Kayak, .bomb and everything else and figure out how to hit that intersection of schedule, miles and upgrade availability.

Other than "As soon as I have to", when do you find yourself making your reservations ?
Old Jan 21, 2011, 4:55 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Given that 90% plus of all my reservations are for long haul SIN to the West or East Coast, I always try and make them at least 4-weeks out. But I have booked them less than a week before (and still managed to clear all the upgrades!)

The SIN-HKG, SIN-NRT or SIN-ICN I will do most times within a week.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 7:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Jet'Dillo
Other than "As soon as I have to", when do you find yourself making your reservations ?
With NC as scarce as it is, we book as soon as possible. We've already booked Thanksgiving travel.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 7:34 am

Programs: UA 1MM Gold, Delta Gold, HH ◊, SPG Gold
For international business travel usually 2-3 months in advance. For family international award travel either on or pretty close to 330 days, otherwise your goosed!
Old Jan 21, 2011, 7:34 am
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Since I am retired I plan my years travel at the beginning of the year. Already have travel booked that will earn me 78,000 miles and that is through early November. Still have 6 months with nothing planned but will have that taken care of within the next 30 days.

Last edited by sfo; Jan 21, 2011 at 7:35 am Reason: info
Old Jan 21, 2011, 8:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
I'm also retired, but I don't have total flexibility since my husband and I own a small business, and now that I'm not teaching 1st grade, I spend more time at the store! That said, I can come and go a lot!

I have reservations that get me to 1P+ by early May. The rest of the year is not booked yet, but the trip ideas are on the calendar. I'm at about 90k by December, with the 'usual' travel miles. I'll need some extra trips to make it to 1K. But I'll get it done!

I usually book a couple of months out. The majority of my travel is int'l long haul, with Europe twice a year and Bangkok at least three, sometimes four, times a year. I try to watch fares, since I know where I'm going to be headed. When I see a fare that seems reasonable, I'll book it right then.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 8:10 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
As soon as I know I'm going someplace unless the fares are insane. I don't usually book anything else (lodging, car, etc) until the airfare, so to get the best deals there, the airfare has to be early. I don't pay much attention to time of day and day of week, have not seen any real differences there as some have.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 8:24 am

Programs: UA 1k
I’m stuck on the "as business needs" schedule. Therefore, I find myself at everything from 6 months to 4 weeks to the day before sometimes.

However, as far as actually booking go's, I’m with you. Obsessive compulsive in finding the best deal for the best route for the best possible chance at a comfortable seat on nearly 15 different “favorite sites”. If that takes 2-8 hours to do, at any time of the day that allows me to do so, then so be it. I don’t book until I have exhausted all options.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
With NC as scarce as it is, we book as soon as possible. We've already booked Thanksgiving travel.
+1

For domestic travel, I'll usually book one-two weeks in advance. For some times, I'll book within five days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.