Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PHL-AMS F Award. Route through ORD or IAD?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2011, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
PHL-AMS F Award. Route through ORD or IAD?

Planning a trip in August with my GF on an F award and me in C, upgraded from Y. We'll trade so we each get F one way.

All the flights would be on 777s so nothing to compare there, plus I don't mind the greater distance through ORD.

Interested in folks opinions on which gateway to choose outbound and returning.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 4:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
Returning through ORD is a pain as you will land in T5 and clear customs then have to get on the train to T1 which is where all of the UA flights depart from. At IAD there is a seperate customs area for connecting pax in the midfield area where you will land. If you fly via IAD plan a decent layover on the PHL-IAD leg as those flights can often be delayed.

Also, I thought ORD-AMS was a 767
Old Jan 19, 2011, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Benny8444
Returning through ORD is a pain as you will land in T5 and clear customs then have to get on the train to T1 which is where all of the UA flights depart from. At IAD there is a seperate customs area for connecting pax in the midfield area where you will land. If you fly via IAD plan a decent layover on the PHL-IAD leg as those flights can often be delayed.

Also, I thought ORD-AMS was a 767
ORD-AMS switches to a 777 for the dates we're considering. I was surprised as well.

Agree that the return might be better through IAD. The timing works better and while the customs situation at IAD is apparently not great it might be beter than the terminal change at ORD.

I'm very (very, very!) familiar with the PHL<>IAD flight issues and will plan accordingly.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 5:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I prefer ORD-AMS because it's longer and I can get more sleep.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I was pondering that difference also. Plus the return through IAD arrives home earlier than via ORD.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
The other issue is that if you are in C or F you should be able to get a seat in the F cabin between ORD and PHL which of course is not even an option IAD-PHL.
Even though transiting through ORD certainly has its issues, it doesn't (in my mind) compare to the let down of waiting in the IAD A terminal "ghetto gates" for the UX flight to PHL.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 6:19 pm

Programs: United GS 2MM,, Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Platinum
I agree. I also love the architecture of the O'Hare United terminals. And the United First lounge there is better (better views, better daylight, more intimate). So I would favor ORD on the outbound at least.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
Planning a trip in August with my GF on an F award and me in C, upgraded from Y. We'll trade so we each get F one way.
Never tried this before. Do the FA's allow trading of seats between cabins assuming both parties are agreeable?
Old Jan 20, 2011, 4:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by mander
Do the FA's allow trading of seats between cabins assuming both parties are agreeable?
It sounds like the OP is not talking about switching during flight, so it shouldn't be an issue. For people who want to switch, some FAs are OK with it as long as you only switch once, and after the meal service.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mander
Never tried this before. Do the FA's allow trading of seats between cabins assuming both parties are agreeable?
It sounds like the OP is not talking about switching during flight, so it shouldn't be an issue. For people who want to switch, some FAs are OK with it as long as you only switch once, and after the meal service.
Most likely I would take the F seat for the US to AMS leg and she would take the Biz seat. For the flights returning to the US she would get the F and I the Biz.

I'm tall so I'm thinking that the F seat would be best for me on the overnight flight where I can get a little sleep.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K; HH Gold; *Wood Gold
I do this flight from IAD often and always regret it's not an hour or two longer going over so there would be time to both eat and sleep. Any chance of going over via ORD and home by IAD?
Old Jan 22, 2011, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fly16
I do this flight from IAD often and always regret it's not an hour or two longer going over so there would be time to both eat and sleep. Any chance of going over via ORD and home by IAD?
I'm starting to think that this would be the best plan. IAD-AMS gets in very early which will complicate checkin at the hotel even more. Plus we'd be operating on less sleep than routing through ORD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.