CO states UA ticket is out of sync

Old Jan 15, 11, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA Platinum Pro, CO Gold, Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond VIP
CO states UA ticket is out of sync

I was unable to check in online through continental.com tonight for my flight out tomorrow. I purchased the ticket through .bomb and my first segment is a CO flight IAH-SFO, then UA SFO-EUG.

I was upgraded on my SFO-EUG by UA and I'm being told that when this happens it throws my ticket "out of sync". This disables me from performing any check-in with CO. It has also happened to me plenty of times when I start with UA and upgraded, my 2nd leg which is a CO operated fly will not check me in, or add me to Upgrade standby list.

This issue happens to me everytime I have a CO and UA operated ticket.

I just spent over 1 hour on the phone with UA and CO and I'm told that this is a problem I can do nothing about.

Does anyone else experience this? I am now told I must go to the airport to check-in since CO does not show my ticket as being in-sync. Doesn't this issue prevent me from having priority against those with the same status as me who get to check-in before me? I find this issue to be so frustrating and I battle it each week I fly. I try to only fly UA metal but these next two months allow for only CO flights out of IAH.
Old Jan 15, 11, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by blklabluvr View Post
I was unable to check in online through continental.com tonight for my flight out tomorrow. I purchased the ticket through .bomb and my first segment is a CO flight IAH-SFO, then UA SFO-EUG.

I was upgraded on my SFO-EUG by UA and I'm being told that when this happens it throws my ticket "out of sync". This disables me from performing any check-in with CO. It has also happened to me plenty of times when I start with UA and upgraded, my 2nd leg which is a CO operated fly will not check me in, or add me to Upgrade standby list.

This issue happens to me everytime I have a CO and UA operated ticket.

I just spent over 1 hour on the phone with UA and CO and I'm told that this is a problem I can do nothing about.

Does anyone else experience this? I am now told I must go to the airport to check-in since CO does not show my ticket as being in-sync. Doesn't this issue prevent me from having priority against those with the same status as me who get to check-in before me? I find this issue to be so frustrating and I battle it each week I fly. I try to only fly UA metal but these next two months allow for only CO flights out of IAH.
I had this same experience a few months ago, and as you mentioned, it's frustrating. I missed my upgrade at that time, but don't know if the check-in time tie-breaker came into play at all.

It is even more frustrating that people at CO and UA already know about it (as reported by other FT'ers), and can't solve it.

My only suggestion, call the electronic support desk (1.800.300.1547), and hopefully someone will solve it, but don't get your hopes too high.
Old Jan 15, 11, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt explorist
I noticed that problem when I was doing a MR. 4 segments all in one day, only able to checkin for 3 online or try again at the airport but nothing accomplished. First 2 segments on CO, last 2 segments on UA. The routing was SFO-IAH-TPA-ORD-SFO.

As I couldn't checkin for ORD-SFO, so I went to a CO agent at SFO, and she kept insisted I am going to ORD not SFO, even though the fare was for SFO-TPA and TPA-SFO, the itnerary cleared showed I am going back to SFO. Until her supervisor came to help, then she finally back out from the argument and manually imput the checkin for ORD-SFO.

I have something similiar coming in a week, I will see it act the same like last time.
Old Jan 15, 11, 11:45 pm

Had an itinerary out of sync when flying IAD-SFO-LAS on UA and LAS-IAH-BWI back on CO (same day MR). Couldn't get CO boarding passes via CO OLCI and at IAD, but when I checked again at SFO, the UA customer service counter agent printed out the CO flights as paper tickets. My CO upgrades cleared too.
Old Jan 15, 11, 11:56 pm

Programs: UA1k, AA EXP, PC Plat, Club Carlson Concierge, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Had a similar situation flying four CO legs then 1 UA leg, the CO legs were B fares and were upgraded, the UA leg which was the last of the 5 flights somehow ended up in front of all the CO legs on the E-ticket preventing check-in, called up CO and they didn't want to touch the ticket as it involved UA, and said to have it fixed at the airport, then did the tried and trusted method of hanging up and calling back, second agent was more helpful and was able to move the UA flight back into position and I was able to complete online checkin.
Old Jan 16, 11, 12:25 am

Timely thread...

I have a UA-coded, CO-operated B-class res that I have upgraded in advance as a UA elite.

On .bomb, the reservation is a mess, with some segments out of order and others gone completely.

On CO.com, I have duplicate segments, with one line item in B, and the other in ZE (upgraded business).

I don't really care about OLCI as I have the seat I want, but should I be worried about my upgrade in this situation?
Old Jan 16, 11, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA Platinum Pro, CO Gold, Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond VIP
Thumbs down

It's odd how some folks are able to get this reolved, yet when I was on hold with UA web support he said his supervisor and a supervisor from CO were both working on my reservation.

45 mintues later, he came back on to say the only solution was for me to check in at the airport.
Old Jan 16, 11, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, FM Prem, SPG gold
Same problem for me

Book on CO:

tpa-iah CO UDU cleared
iah-sfo CO UDU cleared
sfo-koa UA UDU cleared

koa-lax UA UDU cleared
lax-iah CO (B fare)
iah-tpa CO (B fare) UDU cleared

No problems on way out. On return, CO canceled their two segments. UA didn't see anything canceled. CO didn't know why but rebooked me in B fare.

B fare cleared for iah-tpa 4 days out via elite Y/B upgrade. 48 hours out UA udu cleared for koa-lax. There was one F seat available for lax-iah and I asked to be upgraded. Said it wasn't NF but i was first on WL. F0 next day. 24 hours out could not check in and called, she said im 17th on UDU list have no chance and didn't check me in. At gate in LAX, I was not on list still so I asked gate agent and he checked me in and told me I was 2nd on list.

Very strange, and I guess I dropped the ball by not forcing the point of checking me in, but 5/6 udu for a 1P is good enough for me.

As an OT note, I only received 100% eqm/rdm from UA for my account. I feel since these flights (lax-iah + iah-tpa) were flown as B fares (even though orig booked as M/W) I deserve the B fare mile bonus. UA claims their system sees M/W still, while CO shows B since they had to rebook my tickets after randomly canceling them. Thoughts?
Old Jan 16, 11, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by rivlinm View Post
As an OT note, I only received 100% eqm/rdm from UA for my account. I feel since these flights (lax-iah + iah-tpa) were flown as B fares (even though orig booked as M/W) I deserve the B fare mile bonus. UA claims their system sees M/W still, while CO shows B since they had to rebook my tickets after randomly canceling them. Thoughts?
You deserve what you booked. Anytime you get something more from a rebooking is a bonus (because the agent was sloppy/lazy), not a right.
Old Jan 16, 11, 6:58 pm

I had the same issue when trying to check-in online for LGA-CLE-MKE-ORD-LGA. Mixed CO/UA itinerary with a same day return. CO UDU (LGA-CLE) and UA UDU (ORD-LGA) cleared in advance. I was on the phone with a CO rep for almost an hour and nothing was resolved. The agent was very nice and was willing to call UA and try to get it figured out, but to no avail. Ultimately it was no problem when I checked in the next morning, and lucky for me the F Cabin went out 3/12, no danger of losing the upgrade.
Old Jan 17, 11, 2:56 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

I have a similar issue here... I booked a trip on CO.com and the first two segments is on CO and the last two is on UA.

Everything shows fine on CO's side, but on UA's side it is all messy...

First segment UDU cleared and am in 12H on the 777 and the site states upgrade confirmed, but when trying to change my seat assignment it only shows me the economy cabin

For the last flight, UDU did not clear at T-72 hours, but the upgrade pending text disappeared, and I do not see the upgrade waitlisted text either...

What should I do?
Old Jan 18, 11, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

I finally got personal phone calls from both UA and CO supervisors.

CO believes when I'm upgraded on my UA segments its throwing my ticket out of sync. This means I'm not even being considered at the 120,96,72hr etc sweeps for CO flights and am not on the upgrade standby list until I check in. Which by the way, I am unable to even check in online with CO when my ticket is out of sync. This means I am not added to that list until I am forced to check in at the airport, which by that time is too late in many cases.

The UA rep stated they have recognized this issue and are working to resolve it. They did offer me some miles as a nice gesture for having to go through this. I told them I appreciate the gesture but what I really want is to not have to worry about this issue.

This has been happening on flights I have to take as codeshare since the summer/fall of last year.

It's very frustrating to go through but I encourage anyone facing this to continue calling and emailing until you get a response. I listened to the blame game go back and forth all last year and I finally had enough this last month. Demand to understand why your ticket continually goes out of sync if this is happening to you. Not being considered for CO upgrades at the selected time intervals is not fair for what we've worked/paid to obtain.

I am not asking to be upgraded, I'm asking to be included fairly in the process of the systems. The sad thing is I am sure many people do not even recognize this issue is happening to them. A true test is if you are originating with a CO flight and it won't let you check in online. Or, if you are originating with a UA flight going to a CO flight and its not checking you in or you are unable to get your boarding pass for the CO segments when you check in with UA. You can also call CO a few days in advance and inquire to if you are on the upgrade standby list.

Good Luck
Old Jan 19, 11, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Crap, this just happened to me --- flying out on CO tomorrow and UA home on Friday. UA upgrades cleared and CO says I'm not on the upgrade list for the CO flights and I cant check in because tickets out of sync! GRRR!!!!
Old Jan 19, 11, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Paul,

I'm not sure you can do anything about it. I got another call from United today to say they know about it and there is nothing we can do as passengers until it is fixed. She even went as far to say it probably wont be fixed until the two systems are finally one, Horrible answer IMO

You might try contacting UA's technical website division through the 1k line. I will warn you though, make sure you have speakerphone because you will be on hold a long time.
Old Jan 19, 11, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Suffering the same issue.
Booked IAH-SFO-SGN all UA metal, all upgraded with SWU.
UA cancels IAH-SFO some days, dumps me on CO codeshare in E-.
No confirmed upgrade. No EUA (it's a codeshare!). No OLCI due to ticket sync issues. No position on waitlist until I checkin.
Options offered: UA reissues ticket and I lose longhaul upgrade or checkin at the counter at IAH.

Tomorrow morning will be interesting.

Search this Thread