UA 842 GRU-ORD re-route.

Old Jan 14, 11, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold after slowing down; former UA GS/1K
UA 842 GRU-ORD re-route.

UA 842 from Sao Paulo to Chicago. Mechanical problem prevents ability to load baggage. Rather than cancel the flt, UA put the bags on a DC bound fight scheduled to leave one hour later. In order to satisfy the FAA condition that all passengers travel with their bags, UA 842 is re-routed to DC, effectively tailgating the DC flight and keeping us with our luggage!

everyone to clear customs and immigration in DC, claim and re-check bags and then back on to Chicago or wherever their connections re-route. Writing this from the DC RCC, so we'll see how it turns out but its looking like a 4 hour delay for those traveling to ORD and a lot of confusion for connectors.

One lucky winner: a woman who's final destination was DC but had to connect thru chicago to use miles. She got a non-stop out of the deal.
Old Jan 14, 11, 6:51 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum, LATAM Platinum
Oh boy!

They could just re-route passangers with connections, right?

Or would they actually make one fly GRU-IAD-ORD-LAX?

I wonder why they could not fix the problem. The plane sits at GRU for several hours before going back to the US.
Old Jan 14, 11, 7:01 am
Original Poster

I believe they didn't have a part in GRU hence the decision. Everyone had to go to IAD. From there I believe many were re-booked on a more efficient connection if there was one.
Old Jan 14, 11, 9:05 am

Programs: UA Plat
I prefer the ORD connection because it gets me more miles. I'd be annoyed with going through IAD more efficiently, LOL!
Old Jan 14, 11, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Silver, A-Club Plat, CBP Global Entry
I was on UA 991 from IAD to ORD this morning. I think a majority of the crew from that diverted flight ended up on this plane so they could get to ORD for whatever other flights they had to work.

I was wondering what happened, but I fell asleep so quickly I never got a chance to talk to any of the FA's.

Was a weird sight, seeing about 20 FA's milling about.
Old Jan 14, 11, 10:49 am

Programs: United GS
Two lucky winners.

As soon as it was announced as delayed for departure I called in and found out about the reroute. I had them hold me a seat on GRU-IAD, when the gate agents showed up I had them uncheck me from GRU-ORD and add me to GRU-IAD and IAD-ORD.

I ended up at ORD 40 minutes earlier than I would have on the direct flight, and more importantly swapped out old style 777 C for the new style 777 C.
Old Jan 14, 11, 11:33 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum, LATAM Platinum
Originally Posted by in_27D View Post
Two lucky winners.

As soon as it was announced as delayed for departure I called in and found out about the reroute. I had them hold me a seat on GRU-IAD, when the gate agents showed up I had them uncheck me from GRU-ORD and add me to GRU-IAD and IAD-ORD.

I ended up at ORD 40 minutes earlier than I would have on the direct flight, and more importantly swapped out old style 777 C for the new style 777 C.
I had been told that IAD-GRU has been seeing the new style 777 from time to time, but never ORD.

So, keep that in mind when booking your [email protected]:-)
Old Jan 14, 11, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Well done, in_27D. I considered catching that earlier flight from IAD-ORD, but would have had to give up my 1st class seat. Instead, I relaxed a bit and caught another 60 minutes of shuteye on the old plane.

Good to hear though that they are starting to fly 777s with the new config! Now if they would just put them on the ORD-GRU route, my life would be alot better (and my upgrade balance less depleted -- hate those old C seats!)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: