Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Carry-on in overhead bins on UA/UX aircraft

Old Jan 9, 2011, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

I am about to buy a new rollerboard and am almost ready to buy a 22" (TravelPro Platinum 6 is specifically what I'm looking at). I understand this is at the UA size limit, but wanted to know about the ability of a bag of this size (22" x 14" x 9") to fit in the overhead bins on UA, wheels first.

I know there are specific problems with the 767 bins being too small for many carry on bags within the size limit. And I know it won't fit in the RJ's and will have be gate checked (maybe the E70's or CR7s will work, though). What about other UA mainline aircraft? I usually am flying domestic, non-hub to hub routes, so am normally on narrow body airbus or 757.

I'm sure there are many with experience bringing on 22" rollerboards, so any advice would be appreciated.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MPVG
I can't speak to the bag you're considering, but my Brigg's and Riley 22" won't fit in the overhead bins of either the UA A319 or A320. It does just fine in the UA 757, however. My sense from the luggage forum is that 22" bags can be risky as a general rule; for my most recent luggage purpose I opted for a smaller (20") alternative.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 7:25 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
The bins on the 767, especially the ones over the window seats, are going to be problematic.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
My Costco Kirkland 22" fits nicely (wheels in) on 777, 757, 747, 320, UX E-170 first class. I have not flown 319 for a while.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
The bins on the 767, especially the ones over the window seats, are going to be problematic.
They are problematic for almost any reasonably sized rollaboard anyway.

I think the OP is trying to make sure they get a bag they can fit wheels in on UAs aircraft that are configured to handle that. Most travelpro 22" bags can do that just fine. I'd be surprised if that one doesn't.

-David
Old Jan 9, 2011, 7:37 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I don't have that particular bag, but looking at screen shots of it and several reviews, it's going to be a tight fit.

For larger rollaboards, one with a tapered shape works best IME. I have a couple of different models from Samsonite and have seen another Kirkland knock-off at Costco before which are 22" yet are tapered to fit into the bins head-first. They do so fine on all but the 767. (I actually prefer the Samsonite "spinner" models with four wheels over higher-quality 2-wheeled bags simply for ease of dragging them through the airport.)
Old Jan 9, 2011, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
I anguished over this for a brief while last year and ultimately went with a 22" model. I regret it - wish I had gone with something a little smaller.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Go "soft"!

If you really, really want to make sure your carry-on makes it with you on a regional or 767 (assuming you and others are elites with earlier boarding) get into the cabin with you, I'd suggest having a soft-sided bag - harder on the shoulders because you're doing the carrying but it gets into and out of the overheads on all UA planes. If you're prone to regionals and live where UAX forces you to go outside - even in crummy weather, this is a better way if your items fit in the smaller bag/short hop type of traveller.

David
Old Jan 9, 2011, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K
One of my pet peeves is watching people clog up the aisles and delaying boarding because their carry on that is bigger then my checked bag wont fit in the over head bin. I wouldnt go over 20 inch just to be safe.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 8:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
My Costco Kirkland 22" fits nicely (wheels in) on 777, 757, 747, 320, UX E-170 first class. I have not flown 319 for a while.
Mine as well. Works in all the planes, but it is tight on the 319's but the door closes. those are great bags
Old Jan 9, 2011, 9:01 pm

Programs: United 1K, SPG Platinum
go with the 20". i bought a 22" and returned it after finding that it wouldn't fit wheels first on many UA planes. 20" just fits (for reference, the bag was a tumi alpha), which really comes in handy.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold, 1MM, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by booch
go with the 20". i bought a 22" and returned it after finding that it wouldn't fit wheels first on many UA planes. 20" just fits (for reference, the bag was a tumi alpha), which really comes in handy.
I've got the 22" and it almost always fits, but you have to go handle first and let the wheels face the opening. Just a little trick a UA FA once showed me.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA Plat-2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by ZRH2SFO
I've got the 22" and it almost always fits, but you have to go handle first and let the wheels face the opening. Just a little trick a UA FA once showed me.
+1

I have had the earlier Travelpro Platinum 4 22" for 8 years - it is large but I can fit it as other posters said. FA showed me the same trick, handle in first works if you need an extra inch or two. On a few planes, I have placed something small (e.g. a book, blanket) under the edge of the bag by the door to angle it up slightly to allow the door to close (since the door bulges out). This can buy you a bit more space.

Foreign airlines don't like to let it on (hello, LH), so I check it when traveling overseas and take a small soft tote on board plus my computer bag. I also expand it if I'm going to check it and it's basically a full-size suitcase at that point.

After 8 years of 160-230K BIS miles per year (a lot of checking on the overseas flights) it's just starting to show wear. If I'd mostly been carrying it on, it would be in even better shape.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond, National Executive, Starwood Gold
I love my victorinox rollerboard. It's a "swiss army" bag and it just fits on all the planes, wheels first. It also has a zipper that you can unzip to expand the bag in thickness if you are driving around in a car and don't need to squish it down to plane size. It also comes with the ubiquitous swiss army tweezers and that sort of stuff. My laptop can slide right into the pocket on the front.
It has a tiny pocket perfect size for the TSA liquid pouch.
Love the bag and it comes in bright red so it's easy to spot if I have to check it.
I believe it's a mobilizer and I think it's 21" rather than the full 22. I think it comes in black and blue as well. Just the right amount of mesh pockets inside. Perfect for a week long business trip.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 10:23 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver, UA (no status, but lots of miles!)
I got a new hardshell 21 inch recently. I want to take no chances that it won't fit. Hardshell because I will stuff my bag as big as it will expand to, and often I had problems, not fun. I also go for the ultralight models.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.