FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   24 hour Refunds Through Orbitz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/1169449-24-hour-refunds-through-orbitz.html)

Cheerfulflyer Jan 7, 2011 11:32 am

24 hour Refunds Through Orbitz

Can someone with factual info kindly update us on Orbitz's current refund policy on UA and CO airfares purchased through them? Is it really refundable within (1) 4 hours; (2) 24 hours; (3) up to 10pm the next day; no refund at all. Lots of FALSE, incomplete, equivocal or outdated information floating on this issue. Thanks!

jhayes_1780 Jan 7, 2011 11:42 am

From Orbitz: https://faq.orbitz.com/app/answers/d...2425/related/1

How do I change or cancel my airline ticket?

Things to know if you want to change or cancel your ticket:

Many tickets can be cancelled or exchanged online. To change or cancel an airline ticket:

1.Go to My Trips
2.Click the "Change/cancel ticket" button
3.The "Change/cancel ticket" wizard will guide you through the process
Please Note:

•Expect to pay change fees and fare difference. Total change fees typically average about $180.00 per ticket. You also may be required to pay a difference in fares, if your new flight costs more than the original.
•You cannot change the name on an airline ticket or give the ticket to someone else to use. Also, you cannot exchange a ticket from one airline to another.
•Restrictions on validity of ticket after cancellation or deadlines for rebooking vary by airline. Please read the fare rules of your ticket for more information.
IMhO, I don't think it matters if it was UA or CO. AFAIK, Orbitz doesn't offer the 24 hr cancellation on non-refundable tickets.

Cheerfulflyer Jan 7, 2011 11:57 am

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780 (Post 15605428)
IMhO, I don't think it matters if it was UA or CO. AFAIK, Orbitz doesn't offer the 24 hr cancellation on non-refundable tickets.

This is incorrect. Orbitz infact does offer a "courtesy cancellation". The question is for how long since the ticket was purchased. There are some exceptions on airlines other than UA/CO but the courtesy cancellation certainly extends to non-refundable tickets bought on the latter airlines.

hellyea Jan 7, 2011 11:58 am

I never understand this. What advantage is there to buy tickets through Orbitz? Why intentionally use a middle man?

Cheerfulflyer Jan 7, 2011 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by hellyea (Post 15605586)
I never understand this. What advantage is there to buy tickets through Orbitz? Why intentionally use a middle man?

There are some, trust me ;). 200 r/ai US-EU is one of them. :D Anyway, the question in this thread is not the utility of booking through Orbitz but rather what the refund policy is when a (UA/CO) ticket has been issued.

jhayes_1780 Jan 7, 2011 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Cheerfulflyer (Post 15605578)
This is incorrect. Orbitz infact does offer a "courtesy cancellation". The question is for how long since the ticket was purchased. There are some exceptions on airlines other than UA/CO but the courtesy cancellation certainly extends to non-refundable tickets bought on the latter airlines.

Then why are you asking :confused:

cchuang1980 Jan 7, 2011 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Cheerfulflyer (Post 15605618)
There are some, trust me ;). 200 r/ai US-EU is one of them. :D

That's what I about to say :p

Cheerfulflyer Jan 7, 2011 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780 (Post 15605635)
Then why are you asking :confused:

Again the question (read the first post) is: How LONG is the courtesy cancellation valid? I know that Orbitz does offer it. I am just not sure what the time window is for cancellation.

Cheerfulflyer Jan 7, 2011 12:46 pm

Orbitz Update

Just called orbitz:

OR1: How can I help you today?

ME: I want to get some information.

OR1: OK Go ahead with your query.

ME: I want to know what Orbitz's "courtesy cancellation policy is". More specifically I want to know how long it is valid.

OR1: Great Question. It is 24 hours.

ME: Really? I 've also heard that one can refund tickets by 10pm of the next day. Could you please verify.

OR1: Yes that's also correct.

ME: Hmm...I am confused. So is it 24 hours or 10pm by the next day.

OR1: Let me check with your airline: CO & UA. Yes it is 10pm of the next day.

ME: So can you please kindly tell me specifically until when exactly I may cancel a ticket that was booked at 12:15am this early morning (Jan. 7th).

OR1: You have until 10pm tomorrow (Jan. 8th) to cancel. 10PM Central time. After that, your ticket will become nonrefundable.

ME: OK. Thank you.

Still confused but narrowed the field between 24hours AND 10pm the next day. I would love to know something definitive.

WineCountryUA Jan 7, 2011 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Cheerfulflyer (Post 15605986)
....Still confused but narrowed the filed between 24hours AND 10pm the next day. I would love to know something definitive.

local time or East Coast or ??

jhayes_1780 Jan 7, 2011 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Cheerfulflyer (Post 15605797)
Again the question (read the first post) is: How LONG is the courtesy cancellation valid? I know that Orbitz does offer it. I am just not sure what the time window is for cancellation.

Thank you for using the term "courtsey cancellation policy" in the 9th post.

A search of that term yields:
https://faq.orbitz.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12628

What is a courtesy cancellation?

Orbitz offers you the convenience to cancel your flights online through My Trips.

If you cancel your flight reservation by 10 p.m. CT the day after booking, Orbitz will issue a refund for the ticket cost to your credit card automatically. No airline penalties will apply. We call this a "courtesy cancellation."
Please note: The refund amount includes only the ticket cost, not any service fees. Cancellations are final, apply to all passengers and cannot be reversed. You will need to book a new reservation at current prices. Certain restrictions apply.

Don't know what the youtube video is all about :confused:

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 15606043)
local time or East Coast or ??

Central

Cheerfulflyer Jan 7, 2011 1:11 pm

Thank you Jhayes. ^ A second call to Orbitz also confirmed next day by 10pm (Central time) window for fully refunding UA/CO airfares bought through them.