Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Why were you compensated and what did you get - 2011 Edition [Compensation] (Merged).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why were you compensated and what did you get - 2011 Edition [Compensation] (Merged).

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2011, 12:35 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Wow, e-certs for no coffee and for a 50 minute delay! ^ to those who received them.

I'm batting .000 of late on getting a skykit, for things like preordered meal having been given away ("Sorry, it doesn't show on here that you ordered it.") or busted IFE on a transcon ("Go to the website and complain.").

You win some, you lose some.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 8:53 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, BA EC Gold, TK Elite, KL Silver
18 hours delay-customer service?

Hi everyone,

on Nov 27th I was supposed to fly PIT-IAD-FRA in Y. I arrived on the 27th at 6.30pm at PIT for a 8pm departure. The layover in IAD was just 50 minutes, short but doable and they let me book it in the first place.
However, long story short, the flight to IAD was delayed by 1+ hour, so I was rebooked to PIT-ORD-FRA for the next day. I received a hotel voucher only after asking the Check-In Agent for it and she dealt with the whole situation in general in an irritated and stuck-up way.
Next morning I flew to ORD and had a 6 hour layover, which was alright using the lounges @ ORD. Nevertheless, I arrived in FRA on the 29th at 5.30am, instead of the 28th at 11.30 am. Almost 18 hours later than planned.

I went to the customer service counter @ ORD and was told to write an email to UA, which I did right away. Tried to call them, but no phone # available. What compensation, from your experience maybe, can be expected, as I missed a good 7 hours of work? It's not all about the compensation, but more about the fact that even *A Gold Members are apparently non-priority at UA Customer Service. If you DO now a phone # please post it here

Thanks for your help. Cheers,
sebblum
Old Dec 14, 2011, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by sebblum
What compensation, from your experience maybe, can be expected, as I missed a good 7 hours of work?

Thoughts and expierence can be found here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...on-merged.html

If you DO now a phone # please post it here
UA only does post travel issues via e-mail (no phone service).
Old Dec 14, 2011, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
on Nov 27th I was supposed to fly PIT-IAD-FRA in Y. I arrived on the 27th at 6.30pm at PIT for a 8pm departure. The layover in IAD was just 50 minutes, short but doable and they let me book it in the first place.
Sorry about your missed flight, but... just because an airline sells you a ticket with a tight connection does not mean you should take. I would never, ever accept a 50 minute connection to a once-a-day international flight.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by SFO777
Sorry about your missed flight, but... just because an airline sells you a ticket with a tight connection does not mean you should take. I would never, ever accept a 50 minute connection to a once-a-day international flight.
Especially with UX, which is most likely between PIT-IAD.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 3:18 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, BA EC Gold, TK Elite, KL Silver
Originally Posted by SFO777
I agree, an airline offering a ticket does not mean it should be booked. However, this does not mean that this releases the airline from taking proper care of accomodation and compensation. And fyi, IAD-FRA is operated by UA alone three times daily. Nevertheless, thanks for the comment!
Cheers, sebblum
Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:34 am

Programs: AA PLAT (2.8MM), DL Diamond, UA*S, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTE, Hilton DIAMOND, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Appreciation card compensation seems to be down to $200 (from $250) for 1Ks on transcons/int'l flights.

Bummer. Still much, much better than CO, though. Should have entered in those cards earlier...
+1 redeemed one skykit last night (just became 1K a week ago)... $200 domestic e-cert, 10% off Int'l or 9000 miles
Old Dec 19, 2011, 12:58 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, United MM, Marriott Gold
Sent an email to 1Kvoice complaining about the UDU system and how I miss the days of e500s + quarterly CR1s. They're giving me 9,000 miles I didn't ask for. I wasn't looking for any kind of compensation, but it's a nice gesture.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA, Qantas
I was on a 6am SFO-ORD flight and they switched out the planes for a smaller one last minute, leaving 48 people without seats.

They rebooked me into a 10am flight 4 hrs later and gave me $400 (4x $100) ecerts to use systemwide.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
12/10 SFO-SAN Diverted

Two failed attenpts at landing, and a eventual diversion to LAX got me a $150ecert, hotel for the night, and a $15 meal voucher.

Not bad seeing that the whole trip only cost a $120 ticket. As a FTer I was also happy to recieve another 1EQS for the LAX-SAN hop the next morning
Old Dec 19, 2011, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by Madone59
Two failed attenpts at landing, and a eventual diversion to LAX got me a $150ecert, hotel for the night, and a $15 meal voucher.

Not bad seeing that the whole trip only cost a $120 ticket. As a FTer I was also happy to recieve another 1EQS for the LAX-SAN hop the next morning
I believe it should have been $400 if it was their decision to put you over to the next day. And unless it was due to weather. In the latter case, you came out way ahead of what's required.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA 2P, SPG Gold
E+ bump - Compensation?

A few weeks ago, a friend and I were flying ORD - DCA and volunteered for the list as the flight was way overbooked. After some discussion, we then decided to remove ourselves from the list and just get home as quickly as possible. I asked the GA to remove our names since we changed our minds.

My friend's name was removed, mine was not, probably due to the fact that the GA was very busy in seat reassignment, standbys, etc, and made a clerical error.

As a result, my E+ seat was given to someone else. To fix the oversight, they put me in 37A on a 319.

I emailed premiervoice and I got a "we're sorry" email but no compensation.

I figured I'd be offerred something since to no fault of my own, my seat was given up.

Should I email back requesting compensation? I think this would at least be worth an e-cert. They charge $39 for E+ for ORD - DCA route so it'd at least be a worth that much, and probably more in e-cert value.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Tru Dat
A few weeks ago, a friend and I were flying ORD - DCA and volunteered for the list as the flight was way overbooked. After some discussion, we then decided to remove ourselves from the list and just get home as quickly as possible. I asked the GA to remove our names since we changed our minds.

My friend's name was removed, mine was not, probably due to the fact that the GA was very busy in seat reassignment, standbys, etc, and made a clerical error.

As a result, my E+ seat was given to someone else. To fix the oversight, they put me in 37A on a 319.

I emailed premiervoice and I got a "we're sorry" email but no compensation.

I figured I'd be offerred something since to no fault of my own, my seat was given up.

Should I email back requesting compensation? I think this would at least be worth an e-cert. They charge $39 for E+ for ORD - DCA route so it'd at least be a worth that much, and probably more in e-cert value.
Not due any comp for this, but a GA shouldn't give up your seat just on volunteering... only upon accepting the offer.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kb1992
Non-status pax.

Mechanical delay SFO-ORD caused misconnect, 4 hour total delay, also lost NF on the connecting flight ORD-BOS.

$250 e-cert which seems fair.
I agree.

But, I am a 2P, had mechanical delay LAS-ORD, caused misconnect, just over 12 hour total delay (overnight at ORd). I got $75 initially, then they sent me another $150, and only after some significant whining did they agree to combine the 75 and 150 into one $225 e-cert.

UACO really needs to get consistent with how they compensate folks. When I read posts like kb1992's, I get really annoyed at UA.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 6:06 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PATRLR
I agree.

But, I am a 2P, had mechanical delay LAS-ORD, caused misconnect, just over 12 hour total delay (overnight at ORd). I got $75 initially, then they sent me another $150, and only after some significant whining did they agree to combine the 75 and 150 into one $225 e-cert.

UACO really needs to get consistent with how they compensate folks. When I read posts like kb1992's, I get really annoyed at UA.
Be careful what you wish for. PMCO was very consistent, they never gave you anything. Most likely post merger UA, given their management structure, will adopt the old CO rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.