Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Information/Discussion of the Seating Updates to UA's International 777 Fleet [2011]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Information/Discussion of the Seating Updates to UA's International 777 Fleet [2011]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2012, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, CX GR, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by profhoff
I'm traveling LAX- FRA in Sept with my husband and will purchase business class seats. I've read these forums and checked the seat maps and it looks like my best options could be UA 932 through IAD or UA 901 through SFO.

Since 932 is the 777 and 901 is the 747, which is better? Are they both lie flat? either route works time-wise so it's just a matter of where my dollars will buy the most comfort.

Any advice?

Also, once I choose, can you point me to the forum where I can read about which pair of seats will be best for me and my husband?

Thanks!
Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
I would vote for 901, the 747 from SFO; I prefer one longer flight that I can sleep somewhat well on and IAD-FRA's just a bit too short for me. As well, all 747's in service have lie flat business seats, while not all 777s do. Plus, the upper deck on the 747 is great for a pair of seats.
Very small point to make...I would pick UA 900 SFO-FRA. UA 901 is FRA-SFO.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 9:30 pm

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by USFdonWill
Very small point to make...I would pick UA 900 SFO-FRA. UA 901 is FRA-SFO.
Right, westbound from FRA, probably less significant to have lie flat seats. If it were me, I would do UA eastbound with lie flat with a connection if necessary and then on the return, LH nonstop from FRA to LAX to avoid having to connect in SFO and because having lie flat on the westbound, daytime return isn't a high priority for me. I find it hard to sleep on the long westbound flights from FRA or MUC, but do like the daytime service on LH even though the seats aren't as good for sleeping.

Last edited by SFOTurtle; Jun 24, 2012 at 9:36 pm
Old Jun 25, 2012, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Pity, though I guess that's an upgrade from the "ghetto birds"...
We'll call 'em Barcabirds.......................
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by SFOTurtle
Right, westbound from FRA, probably less significant to have lie flat seats. If it were me, I would do UA eastbound with lie flat with a connection if necessary and then on the return, LH nonstop from FRA to LAX to avoid having to connect in SFO and because having lie flat on the westbound, daytime return isn't a high priority for me. I find it hard to sleep on the long westbound flights from FRA or MUC, but do like the daytime service on LH even though the seats aren't as good for sleeping.
Along these lines, if I have a choice in I awards FRA to SFO, which business class seat is better (not for sleeping necessarily) - 777 on UA 927 or the 747 on UA 901?
I assume that if the LH A380 is available, that would the best choice.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 12:10 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by Paulchili
Along these lines, if I have a choice in I awards FRA to SFO, which business class seat is better (not for sleeping necessarily) - 777 on UA 927 or the 747 on UA 901?
IMO, UA 901 747 has the best seats because they are full flat with great AVOD. After that somewhat of a toss-up, but probably the LH A380 as that has the slanted seats which are difficult to sleep in, but are modern. UA 927 on the 777 has the old lounger style seats. I find these to be quite comfortable as seats*, but not so good for sleeping. Catering will be similar on all, with a slight edge to LH for the simple reason that LH actually tries to cater while it is an afterthought on UA.

* if everything works properly! If on an old style UA 777, test every feature of the seat as soon as you board to make sure it operates correctly.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 11:22 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by 1kBill
* if everything works properly! If on an old style UA 777, test every feature of the seat as soon as you board to make sure it operates correctly.
What do you do if something doesn't work? Will they call maintenance to fix it pre departure?
Old Jul 3, 2012, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
What do you do if something doesn't work? Will they call maintenance to fix it pre departure?
At least it gives them a chance to respond. On the old C seats, the most common malfunction, IME, was the failure of the leg rests to remain fixed in the up position. I believe that it is a fairly simple fix as long as you have the right tools. The old F seats are more problematic if something doesn't work right, so your chances of getting that fixed pre-flight are less.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Paulchili
LH-C on the 380 is a bit better than the old 777 seats, but a major step down from the new, lay-flat C seats on UA.

The soft product in no way makes up for it.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 8:06 pm

IAD -LHR

Do the IAD - LHR 777's have the new F suite?
Old Aug 1, 2012, 8:50 pm

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by 1kBill
UA 927 on the 777 has the old lounger style seats.
And also the new C. Just roulette when it comes to this flight, you might get new C on an XQ, you might get old on an XI, no way to know for sure.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 10:12 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by bizorbetter
Do the IAD - LHR 777's have the new F suite?
918 often has an IPTE aircraft. I believe that the other 777 services lack the IPTE.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 2:22 pm

Hello,

I'm flying SFO-LHR tomorrow on a 777-200 with the new config (well, it's still the case so far from UA.com's seat map). I booked 2K. 1K and 2A are also available, can someone confirm I have the "best" of these 3 seats? I'm worried about galley light and noise in 1K but on the other hand I'm not sure how close I'll be to C and related noise (crying babies?) in row 2.

Thank you,

Nicolas.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 3:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nicolasj
Hello,

I'm flying SFO-LHR tomorrow on a 777-200 with the new config (well, it's still the case so far from UA.com's seat map). I booked 2K. 1K and 2A are also available, can someone confirm I have the "best" of these 3 seats? I'm worried about galley light and noise in 1K but on the other hand I'm not sure how close I'll be to C and related noise (crying babies?) in row 2.

Thank you,

Nicolas.
The thread you are looking for is http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...nal-cabin.html
However very unlikley you will encounter crying babies in row 2.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
LH-C on the 380 is a bit better than the old 777 seats, but a major step down from the new, lay-flat C seats on UA.

The soft product in no way makes up for it.
+1 Am I the only one that doesn't appreciate LH 3-hour meal service, particularly when I want to get to sleep? Or the 1-hour wait for beverage service (though at least they serve decent beer on LH)

Originally Posted by SFOTurtle
And also the new C. Just roulette when it comes to this flight, you might get new C on an XQ, you might get old on an XI, no way to know for sure.
Yes, just won the roulette game on 926 from SFO, as always a big sigh of relief as it won't matter now if my upgrade to F clears. The config did not change until 3 days before ETD.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 9:49 pm

Confused about UA 200 GUM-IAH on 2/14. Plane stops in HNL before continuing to IAH.
UA site doesn't show Business, only Global First and economy.
Seat guru has it as version 5 leaving GUM and version 4 leaving HNL.
Any thoughts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.