Wiki Posts
Search

Can anyone make sense of this?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2010, 12:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: ex-DL FO, what a pedigree
Can anyone make sense of this?

Good evening...I'm reaching out to FT, as the UA helpdesk was not helpful in solving this vague email from my wife:
Hi this is julie from another account, please go to www.united.com/appreciation and upgrade my flight. Code is wz xxxxxx.
I want business class if you can, otherwise use it for my italy trip.

Sent from my Blackberry
This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential and
privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient,
please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, delete this
e-mail and destroy any copies. Any dissemination or use of this
information by a person other than the intended recipient is
unauthorized and may be illegal.
She is in China at the moment, without access to her own email, but I trust that it is from her. The "upgrade my flight" request makes me thing that code could be used to upgrade her seat on her return flight. I went to the web site, it didn't have anywhere to enter a code and just gave me choice of e-cert, 10% off, or miles. I called, and was told "not to worry about that right now" which didn't really help me much. I might call back in the AM and see if I can talk to someone closer to home...but if in the meantime any of you might know what she wants me to do, I'd be obliged.

Cheers~
PrineSwine

Last edited by l etoile; Dec 31, 2010 at 5:15 am Reason: Making sure code not real
Old Dec 31, 2010, 12:23 am

Sounds like she thought she was getting more than she actually got.

Those customer appreciation emails and items are oferred for just about anything that goes wrong during a trip and sometimes just if you complain about something. Sounds like the link she sent you had the information encoded in it the URL already.

She'll have to sort it out.

-David
Old Dec 31, 2010, 12:30 am
Original Poster

The link didn't have any code within it, so I am not sure why she thought that a code was needed. Mysterious. Well, unless someone else knows anything else about the matter, I guess I can sleep easy.
~thanks~
Old Dec 31, 2010, 12:35 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PrineSwine
The link didn't have any code within it, so I am not sure why she thought that a code was needed. ...
sounds like a skykit code
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html
Old Dec 31, 2010, 12:54 am
Original Poster

I wonder why it didn't ask for the code, it looks like in some instances it routes to a second series of questions. Oh well, thanks for the tip on the skykit thread. I didn't really know what I was looking for when I searched. She can mess with it when she returns.
Thanks for the quick info.
~cheers~
Old Dec 31, 2010, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Just FYI, you should edit your original post to XXXXXX out the code you posted. There are some people on the internet that can not be trusted, and I bet they would not hesitate to redeem the code you posted.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 4:42 am

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Just FYI, you should edit your original post to XXXXXX out the code you posted. There are some people on the internet that can not be trusted, and I bet they would not hesitate to redeem the code you posted.
Surely UA can track who redeemed the code and then ban them for life for stealing...
Old Dec 31, 2010, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
if you look closely at the code you'll notice the sequence of numbers is already 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13, unless a Mod changed this I'm sure the OP realized what he was doing.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
THAT e-mail came from your wife?

"Hi this is julie from another account..." ? Seriously? She introduced herself to you in the e-mail? She didn't just say call UA and upgrade me? The whole thing doesn't make sense.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Originally Posted by PrineSwine
this vague email from my wife:
Hi this is julie from another account,
This is what I find strange .... your wife has to tell you who she is???
Old Dec 31, 2010, 9:16 am
Original Poster

I'm thinking she had someone send it for her, but I agree...after 10 years together, I don't really need the introduction. The account it came from looks like a work email from the company she is meeting with there, so I assume she asked one of the employees there to fire an email off my way. Mysterious. Mod, thanks for the code change...I wonder how many of the nefarious ne'er-do-wells on the internet tried in vain last night to redeem wz 1-2-3-4-5-6-8-9-10-11-12-13. There may be people on the internet that cannot be trusted, but surely none here.
~cheers~

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.