Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Pricing ticket on ual.com cost more using SWU?

Old Dec 27, 10, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM EXP 2015, SPG Gold, PC Plat, HH Diamond Marriott Silver Alamo Budget Hertz

I was pricing out a simple RT ticket on *Bomb. trying to find a TATL trip to use two SWU on and get a little miles in.

ORD-AMS Jan 28 UA 908
AMS-ORD Jan 30 UA 909

Using the normal search without specifying any upgrades I get a price of

When I specify "Systemwide Region 2" - 852.20

Any idea why I might get such a price increase?

Baffled and confused.
Old Dec 27, 10, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Angust View Post
I was pricing out a simple RT ticket on *Bomb. trying to find a TATL trip to use two SWU on and get a little miles in.

ORD-AMS Jan 28 UA 908
AMS-ORD Jan 30 UA 909

Using the normal search without specifying any upgrades I get a price of

When I specify "Systemwide Region 2" - 852.20

Any idea why I might get such a price increase?

Baffled and confused.
Were they both the same fare bucket? Remember SWUs require a W fare or greater.

Edit to add: that appears to be it - without specifying an upgradeable fare it returns an S fare vs a W fare.
Old Dec 27, 10, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM EXP 2015, SPG Gold, PC Plat, HH Diamond Marriott Silver Alamo Budget Hertz
I am not sure of the exact fare bucket....I do not see it directly using *bomb
Old Dec 27, 10, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Angust View Post
I am not sure of the exact fare bucket....I do not see it directly using *bomb
You have to click to the next page after you select your flights:

With SWU:

Without SWU:

Old Dec 27, 10, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Thanks makes complete sense now.
Old Dec 27, 10, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
As goes everything in the airline pricing and IM world, huh?

If only it were so easy.
Old Dec 27, 10, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, AA Lifetime Platnium, Delta PM, Marriott Gold, IHG Embassador
Originally Posted by TechnoPagan View Post
Were they both the same fare bucket? Remember SWUs require a W fare or greater.

Edit to add: that appears to be it - without specifying an upgradeable fare it returns an S fare vs a W fare.
Also from the recent "Success using SWU" thread, there is absolutely no gurantee the OP will get the upgrade. This is one the reasons why I have SIX SWUs sitting in my account that will expire come Jan 31, 2011.

Why swing for the fences and do a MR on a W fare and above and then not get the upgrade?
Old Dec 27, 10, 4:36 pm

Programs: Last 1K flight 1/21/11; fun while it lasted, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 &
Might not be a bad idea to call reservations too- (no charge for a 1K)

For what it's worth, when I was researching my SFO-LHR trip and looking for SWU-compatible fares, I finally ended up having to call the reservations line for some more info, and they were able to find a fare about $100 less than what showed on ua.com, in the same fare bucket. Weird, I tried to duplicate it via multi-city and could not.

Oh, one more thing. Don't get nailed by the dreaded SWU-wasted-on-domestic-leg situation. On an international itin with a domestic segment, have the SWU applied only to the international leg. When/if the international leg clears, you can call and have it applied to the domestic as well, although that may not put you in any better standing than UDU would.

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; Dec 27, 10 at 4:49 pm Reason: added info
Old Dec 27, 10, 4:43 pm

Programs: United/Star Alliance - 1K
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky View Post
For what it's worth, when I was researching my SFO-LHR trip and looking for SWU-compatible fares, I finally ended up having to call the reservations line for some more info, and they were able to find a fare about $100 less than what showed on ua.com, in the same fare bucket. Weird, I tried to duplicate it via multi-city and could not.
I had a similar but sort-of-opposite occurrence where the phone could not give me a booking that had showed up on .bomb and which was both SWU-able and several hundred $ cheaper than the phone.
Old Dec 28, 10, 1:10 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Javan69 View Post
I had a similar but sort-of-opposite occurrence where the phone could not give me a booking that had showed up on .bomb and which was both SWU-able and several hundred $ cheaper than the phone.
Had a somewhat similar situation myself last year for SEA-NRT-PEK-NRT-SEA for a W fare. I could price it .bomb for $3k, on the phone for $2k, and on Expedia for $2k. Booked it via Expedia, got the upgrades, and saved myself a thousand bucks!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: