Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Need availabilty to book award XC SYD - LAX? I'm cancelling my booking soon

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2010, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Plat Ambassador, National Executive Elite, Hertz Five Star

I'm currently holding a reservation for 2 one way award XC from SYD to LAX on UA for 12 Jan 2011 on UA826. I'm going to cancel because I found availability to return later. If you want to book these seats, please PM me to co-ordinate me cancelling so you can book. Please PM me so we can sync up on my cancellation. If I don't hear from anyone by tomorrow 10PM PST, I'm just going to cancel it.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 3:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
It might be worth a shot, but there's no guarantee that your cancellation will leave any XC open. They could (and probably will) leave it at zero.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Plat Ambassador, National Executive Elite, Hertz Five Star
Very true, but like you said, worth a shot, and I'm willing to help someone try
Old Dec 26, 2010, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA Plat-2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, Hyatt something
Award seats are not separate inventory on UA (that has been the case on some foreign carriers).

The only time I have found the inventory goes back is when it is canceled soon after booking (and well before the flight). Even then sometimes it goes back right away, sometimes it takes overnight.

Let us know what happens.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Will do. We'll see if anyone wants it, and their success if any when they try to book.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DJ, QF, SQ, SPG.
i have done something similar to this before and it has worked. (with UA)
also tried it with SQ and it didnt work.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 6:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by LAX UA 1K
Award seats are not separate inventory on UA
Sure they are (for saver awards). They have separate buckets for each award type (XF, XC, XY, NY) that are all managed by Inventory Management.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA Plat-2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, Hyatt something
What I meant was UA doesn't decide once up front that 4 of the C seats on the flight will be for awards and the rest for revenue. Award buckets, like revenue buckets, are adjusted dynamically by IM based on sales and expectations of sales over the period the flight is offered for sale (normally 330 days on UA).

There are (or were) carriers that simply segregated (e.g.) 4 C seats on each long haul flight for awards. On those carriers, canceling an award would release the award seat back into inventory directly. By the same token, once the 4 were booked, no more would be allocated, although they may have had manual adjustments during the last few days or weeks.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Sure they are (for saver awards). They have separate buckets for each award type (XF, XC, XY, NY) that are all managed by Inventory Management.
What's NY? I thought UA only had NF and NC for upgrades.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by fly747first
What's NY? I thought UA only had NF and NC for upgrades.
NY is special Y inventory only available to 1K/GS
Old Dec 28, 2010, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LAX UA 1K
What I meant was UA doesn't decide once up front that 4 of the C seats on the flight will be for awards and the rest for revenue. Award buckets, like revenue buckets, are adjusted dynamically by IM based on sales and expectations of sales over the period the flight is offered for sale (normally 330 days on UA).

There are (or were) carriers that simply segregated (e.g.) 4 C seats on each long haul flight for awards. On those carriers, canceling an award would release the award seat back into inventory directly. By the same token, once the 4 were booked, no more would be allocated, although they may have had manual adjustments during the last few days or weeks.
I guess we'll never know now. No one wanted to try it. I'm going to cancel now.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 2:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by siricepick
I guess we'll never know now. No one wanted to try it. I'm going to cancel now.
Why don't you check after cancelling and see if they come back?
Old Dec 28, 2010, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA GS
I cancelled 3 one-way LAX-OGG economy saver awards on December 15th and immediately, 3 NY award seats became available. NY has been non-existent since July.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Interesting, it shows XC1 now, not sure if he canceled yet...

Originally Posted by LAXOGG
I cancelled 3 one-way LAX-OGG economy saver awards on December 15th and immediately, 3 NY award seats became available. NY has been non-existent since July.
You don't happen to have any SFO-OGG you want to cancel for 1/6 - trying to get my nephew and his wife on (they have SFO-LAX-OGG now)
Old Dec 28, 2010, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Very interesting. I spoke to the 1K desk to cancel the return, but they said they would have to cancel the whole itinerary, and rebook the outbound as a one way. Having been screwed over once before doing this going to Europe (granted a *A itinerary). I was very hesitant to do this fearing there would be no inventory when rebooking. The agent said she would soothe over my worries by booking the ow LAX-SYD first, then cancel the rt booking I have. Maybe there was extra XC inventory as she was able to do it. The weird thing is that I checked Expert Flyer this morning, and LAX - SYD was XC 0. I'm not sure if the 1k agents have some way of opening up XC seats, but it was done, and my heart is no longer racing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.