Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Award ticket seats got changed at check-in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2010, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

I booked two SFO to HKG one-way award tickets for my parents using my United miles. Since it's a 14+ hour long flight, I made sure two seats are together and one is aisle seat. In united.com's "My Reservation" I can see that these seats are confirmed.

However, when I helped them check-in at SFO's United counter, I noticed that seats were changed to two middle seats, none is aisle seat. I brought this up, counter agent told us to talk to gate agent, but my parents don't speak English and I'm not going with them.

This is the first time that such thing happened to me. How did this happen? How common is such seat-change?

If I check-in online one day earlier and print out the boarding pass(OK for international flight with checked luggage?), I should be able to get the aisle seat?

Thanks

Last edited by chespeak2002; Dec 24, 2010 at 12:06 am
Old Dec 23, 2010, 11:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Has the aircraft type changed? Equipment changes can create this issue.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Has the aircraft type changed?
Absolutely no way. SFO-HKG-SGN is always using a 3-Class Boeing 747. No alternative.

The problem is maybe UA makes the seat available to GS/1K which failed to upgrade by any instruments.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 6:08 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by garykung
Absolutely no way. SFO-HKG-SGN is always using a 3-Class Boeing 747. No alternative.

The problem is maybe UA makes the seat available to GS/1K which failed to upgrade by any instruments.
What cabin were they originally seated in and I cannot conceive of upgrading a G/S over someone who is confirmed-miles or otherwise as that seat has been paid for either by earning the miles (or applicable u/g instrument. See here for a G/S's comment and with that, my guess is a FAM
Old Dec 24, 2010, 6:35 pm

Programs: Delta PLAT + 1K United for 2011, ????? for 2012
I have had my seats changed in the computer somehow in the last day before flying , when I got to the airport all the window seats were gone, and I had reserved them 6 months before !

Somehow they "found" a window seat but when we took off there were at least 10 more,

Somehow the computer program blocked them, I am glad this computer is not flying the plane

RB

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.