Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Cheapest way to obtain 1K using Z fares for 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2010, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus

I'm a 1k yet again for 2011. Going forward most of next years travel will be on my nickel. I'd like to remain 1K and do so without having to fly 120 segments. In addition, I'd like to do it in Z class so that I can realize the 150EQM bonus.Also if possible, I'd like to do legs/segments where I can apply my 8SWU's for upgrade into F. With that in mind, I'd like to ask FTers for routes/fares and suggestions on how to achieve this in as few flights as possible. I'd like to keep fares sort of in line. Thanks all in advance for your help and suggestions.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by tomj888
I'd like to do it in Z class so that I can realize the 150EQM bonus.Also if possible, I'd like to do legs/segments where I can apply my 8SWU's for upgrade into F.
Just a reminder, for intl travel (on UA metal)... Z cannot be upgraded using SWU's (However, it can be upgraded using miles).
Old Dec 23, 2010, 3:03 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Incidentally, if you fly enough to make 1K on Z fares, methinks you will skip right over and be GS.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 3:31 pm

Programs: HH Silver, Marriott Silver, SPG Plat, Fairmont, UA GS/1K, Amex Platinum
Been there Done that

I did 8 or 9 flights to Europe in Z and A (domestic) this year but still on GS for 2011. A Z fare guarantees a seat in business, but it's otherwise pretty useless in my opinion (no use of SWU, no bonus EQM).
Old Dec 23, 2010, 3:57 pm

Programs: United GS 2MM,, Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Platinum
Z Fares to Seoul seem fairly affordable from my perspective. I was looking at some today for $4,000 R/T A/I from SAN. And the advance purchase seems short, 14 days or less? Quite a few miles.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
incorrect

Originally Posted by tclem001
I did 8 or 9 flights to Europe in Z and A (domestic) this year but still on GS for 2011. A Z fare guarantees a seat in business, but it's otherwise pretty useless in my opinion (no use of SWU, no bonus EQM).
Z fares DO offer 150EQM. You can't use SWU's but I have a zillion miles to use for upgrade to F in desirable metal.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Keep in mind that you need not fly UA to max out on EQMs. Flying Z (and I believe other fare codes), you accrue just as many EQMs on LH and of course CO, and possibly some other partners. These partners sometimes can offer cheaper Z deals than UA--or at least I know that LH does.

Plus sometimes a code share flight can working out cheaper than if the flight numbers such as are not the same as the metal--e.g., at least occasionally flying UA metal as an LH code share (that is, with LH flight numbers) can cost less than if you buy the same flights as UA flight numbers, and vice versa. Kayak.com and occasionally the online travel agency Vayama.com can be good for finding these deals.

Another advantage of LH in Z (though I believe this only applies to LH metal with LH flight numbers, not UA code shares) is that you can use your SWUs to upgrade Z on LH (but not, as has already been pointed out, on UA). It does require a process of getting paper SWUs, waiting for the day of the flight to see if LH has F availability, and, I believe, being able to upgrade only one flight with one SWU (as opposed to the entire itinerary, though this can be an irrelevant consideration, since most trips only have one long-haul that one can upgrade from J to F anyway). There's a thread here in the UA forum that explains the ins and outs of this.

Happy trails!
Old Dec 23, 2010, 4:24 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Z fares DO offer 150EQM. You can't use SWU's but I have a zillion miles to use for upgrade to F in desirable metal.
Yeah, but don't you also have to pay a co-pay?
Old Dec 23, 2010, 4:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by N1120A
Yeah, but don't you also have to pay a co-pay?
yup -- $500 Z-upgrade copay for internaional travel

Incidentally, if you fly enough to make 1K on Z fares, methinks you will skip right over and be GS.
maybe not
Z fare SFO-FRA can be in the low $3K and yields 17,098 EQMs, easy 1K with 6 trips -- but $20K isn't going to get you GS
Old Dec 23, 2010, 4:47 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
As has been noted, Z fares will get you 150 EQM bonus, just no RDM fare bonus.

They do get you a seat in the C cabin, which is handy if there are irrops.

You won't get arrivals on a straight Z. However, if you upgrade with miles + copay or UFC, you will get into the IFL (at least, that has always been my experience). And IIRC, NF will get you an arrivals invitation.

I've upgraded Z's with UFC, miles + copay, and a SWU on LH. You'll want to check prices for D/C/J/A fares, to see how that stacks up against the Z + copay prices.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

maybe not
Z fare SFO-FRA can be in the low $3K and yields 17,098 EQMs, easy 1K with 6 trips -- but $20K isn't going to get you GS
Interesting point, but it would be 100k premium EQMs, which has to influence something. Plus, I doubt you can always find that kind of price.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 5:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Interesting point, but it would be 100k premium EQMs, which has to influence something. Plus, I doubt you can always find that kind of price.
Pretty standard Z fare -- when Z is available -- requires 50 day advance purchase
Do this monthly and you might get some GS interest but certainity not 6 trips.

[KVS Availability Tool 6.0.2/Diamond - Sabre: Fares/DotRes/US]
Code:
SFO  San Francisco Intl CA US [KSFO]
FRA  Frankfurt Metro / Frankfurt Intl DE = FRA HHN [EDDF]
SUN  20 Feb 2011 | SUN  28 Aug 2011 | R/T | Business

Carrier    From    To    Fare      Cur                      Fare Basis/TD
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  -------------
UA         SFO     FRA      3171   USD                      ZXNC50E
UA         SFO     FRA      3371   USD                      ZWNC50E
add $400-500 for taxes & fees

SFO-ICN is another $500
Old Dec 23, 2010, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA Plat-2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, Hyatt something
In terms of GS qualification, I don't think buying a lot of Z fares is attractive to UA. UA considers Z a deep discount on business. I think they are much more interested in flyers who purchase YB and JCD. Of course if you get your spend over $50K, you'll be in the running.

They added the J bucket in part to have four fare levels in business and push Z down to the bottom of the ladder.

I think after UA and CO consolidate programs we may well see a published threshold for GS (like CO's published $30K for Presidential Platinum). I presume the threshold will lie somewhere in the range of 30 to 50K.

In terms of distance, Z fares to India can be a good value: 70-80 percent more miles (via FRA on LH or EWR on CO) for maybe 20-30 percent more in fares and the Z fares are less restrictive. 3 round trips would get you almost to 1K. You can choose from DEL, BOM, CCU, HYD, and MAA (at least) for variety.

CPT is even farther, but the cheapest Z fares are around $1300 above India.

If you can do a one-way initially, you can pick up even cheaper Z fares round trip or open jaw originating from some of these cities (plus CAI).

Last edited by LAX UA 1K; Dec 23, 2010 at 5:54 pm
Old Dec 23, 2010, 5:51 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

EQMs are not RDMs, they cannot be used for upgrades.

I would say the most bang for your buck in Z entirely on UA would be either SEL, HKG, or SIN. Z fares are generally available with less advance notice than 50 days from consolidators, especially to Asia.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
On UA Z fare gets you 150% EQM, it's RDM where you lose the bonus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.