Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Fewer VDBs and also higher loads this year?

Fewer VDBs and also higher loads this year?

Old Dec 23, 2010, 6:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by laxarrival
seems that would be better for them.
Originally Posted by hobo13
Why do you say this? It seems to me that the ideal situation is to continue selling full fare Y tickets for $1000 and then compensate VDB's $400 in 'play money'. The only reason you would want to stop this is if you don't believe you can get enough VDB's..... but I strongly doubt that's true.
One potential reason is that both IDB and VDB stats must be reported to the DoT and they are often used to rate airlines, similar to lost baggage or on-time arrival stats.

If the customer taking that $400 VDB every time is doing so with house money - either from a previous VDB or from a much cheaper fare - then the company does stand to lose, even with the breakage levels of those VDB credits. If they are losing last-minute PDX-(SFO)-NRT customers because PDX-SFO is full on APEX purchases then the response should be to limit that inventory in advance, not oversell it every time to "fix" the problem.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 8:43 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sbm12
One potential reason is that both IDB and VDB stats must be reported to the DoT and they are often used to rate airlines, similar to lost baggage or on-time arrival stats.

If the customer taking that $400 VDB every time is doing so with house money - either from a previous VDB or from a much cheaper fare - then the company does stand to lose, even with the breakage levels of those VDB credits. If they are losing last-minute PDX-(SFO)-NRT customers because PDX-SFO is full on APEX purchases then the response should be to limit that inventory in advance, not oversell it every time to "fix" the problem.
Please show me where VDB stats are reported. And then show me where they are cited by the media.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 9:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by hobo13
Please show me where VDB stats are reported. And then show me where they are cited by the media.
The BTS tracks both VDB and IDB stats by carrier. Here's the consolidated data report: http://www.bts.gov/publications/nati...ble_01_58.html. There are other links on the site that allow you to drill down per carrier and to more specific time frames.

The Airline Quality Rating is just one of several sources that rates airlines using those stats and from which many other news pieces are produced.

Did you really think I was just making all this up?
Old Dec 23, 2010, 9:16 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sbm12

Did you really think I was just making all this up?
Who said that? I've just never heard of anyone getting excited about VDB stats. Honestly, why should anyone (DOT, media, consumers) care how many people are VDBed? It's a game the airline gets to play to maximize profit. If United thinks they can oversell a flight by 20 (high fare pax) and then buy-back 20 seats from pax, why should our government care? Just makes no sense to me, but then again, I'm a free-market capitalist.

Sure, if United gets wrong, and only gets 5 VDB's on that flight, they should have to report 15 IDB's. And maybe it's a risk that just isn't worth taking. But my point is to say that inventory management should get the highest grade for maximizing profit, NOT getting a flight to go out even. As we all know around here, full flights don't equate to maximum revenue!
Old Dec 23, 2010, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Sure, if United gets wrong, and only gets 5 VDB's on that flight, they should have to report 15 IDB's. And maybe it's a risk that just isn't worth taking.
is about maximizing profit, hopefully long term profit. If they IDB a lot of people, those people will tend to be pretty pissed off and may swear off that airline.

When they have oversold flights, people end up without seat assignments. That also impacts customer service.

Personally, I like VDBs what am I saying.. I LOVE VDBs! I had a string of 4 on one ticket a few months ago. I had several this year, but the last 2 months has been pretty dry...
Old Dec 23, 2010, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by entropy
is about maximizing profit, hopefully long term profit. If they IDB a lot of people, those people will tend to be pretty pissed off and may swear off that airline.
Yes, we agree on this. But the point is that if they oversell by 20, and get 20 VDB's, so be it. No harm, no foul. In fact, they end up making a lot of extra revenue and they make 20 people happy. (If they are not happy about VDBing, while, then they shouldn't VDB!)

If United doesn't think they can get 20 VDB's on the flight, then sure, they shouldn't oversell by 20.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 1:10 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I've averaged 1 VDB a year on UA in 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 so nothing out of the ordinary for me at least.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 1:39 pm

I have seen flights oversold by five and ended up with no VDB needed quite for quite a few times in the past a few months. It is really amazing to see such a precise/conservative/? operation/reservation strategy this year.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 11:18 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
I actually did pretty well on getting bumped this year; I don't take that many in general but I think I got one or two more than I did last year.
Make that three.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
My SO took a bump this afternoon on her DEN-SFO segment, flight 733. She called to ask if I thought she should do it for $400 in vouchers, and she would be put on 735, leaving two hours later. Her UDU on her 757 had already cleared, so I told her to make sure they confirmed her in F on the next flight.

They did - and that aircraft get upgauged at somepoint from a 757 to 767 (I was surprised to hear she had a "J" seat - then realized why). She's on her way now. For a 2 hour delay, I don't think $400 is too bad at all. It's her first VDB.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
using more tools

In the last two years or so I have noticed a lot more deplaning of non-revs. I heard this announcement at my gate at ORD on UA: "all non-revs must deplane. we know who you are. if you don't leave we will come get you". This was not the first time I have heard such harsh words in pulling non-revs off a flight.
Perhaps they have not used this tool so much in the past.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.