Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

The 47,000 mile pre-christmas mileage run (report)

The 47,000 mile pre-christmas mileage run (report)

Old Dec 11, 10, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat., NEXUS, Amex, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Thor3 View Post
One cannot expect ORD to have the same weather conditions as HNL- especially in December.

I love your writing style and enjoyed your explanation of "Flying the Friendly Skies". Safe journeys.
You rang?
Old Dec 12, 10, 12:08 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
at some point, wouldn't it be wiser to skip the MR and just outright pay for C/F tickets?
I think Intl C ticket must be at least equal to 1K (you would be 3 star for meal choice anyways), lounge access, arrivals lounge access.

Intl F ticket >>> UGS.
Old Dec 12, 10, 7:35 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by bniu View Post
at some point, wouldn't it be wiser to skip the MR and just outright pay for C/F tickets?
I think Intl C ticket must be at least equal to 1K (you would be 3 star for meal choice anyways), lounge access, arrivals lounge access.

Intl F ticket >>> UGS.
I think I understand your point.

May be you should start another thread to let all those 1k MR runners who need to run more than 50,000-mile true MR (i.e., immediate turn-around from the destination) to reach 1k status to express their reasoning. If 50K is too high a number, adjust it to fit what ever level you think would not justify for a 1K-run.

Last edited by lax2010; Dec 12, 10 at 7:49 am
Old Dec 12, 10, 8:44 am

Programs: UA

Intl F ticket >>> UGS.
I think everybody needs to do their own math and there is no stereotype mileage runner. Some people (e.g. Lucky) do it as a hobby and to pay for expensive trips abroad. Do this type of mileage runners need to take those trips ? No but they like to. Plenty of people that spend money on other hobbies like cars or other things.

Others have to travel a lot for business but their company only pays E and then the upgrade certificates and miles have a value that you can use to calculate the costs vs. gain.

I disagree on F always being better then UGS. If things go really bad then a UGS in C will beat a paid F passenger almost all the time getting rerouted or accommodated.
Old Dec 12, 10, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2M
Day 1: SEA - DEN - HNL
Day 2: HNL - LAX - SFO - SYD - MEL
Day 4: MEL - SYD - SFO - LAX - HNL - SFO
Day 5: SFO - ORD - MUC
Day 6: MUC - CGN
Day 10: CGN - MUC - FRA - SFO - HNL - SFO
Day 11: SFO - SEA

This is a very entertaining thread, and like everyone, I am rooting for colonius with a mixture of horror and fascination. But I am concerned about his risk of developing a blood clot in his legs and returning to his wife and two kids after having thrown a pulmonary embolus. Colonius, I hope that, with your doctor's advice, you are taking low-dose aspirin, and are staying well hydrated and working those calf muscles.

Good luck and safe travels!
Old Dec 12, 10, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, HH Silver
NO

Intl F ticket >>> UGS.
Absolutely not.

MR are almost always done on personal funds in order to achieve status at a reasonable cost. International C/F tickets are rarely low cost, although some C fares are not bad. Anyone who flys a lot and cannot afford to pay for international C/F fares, which is most FF, having status is of considerable value.
Old Dec 12, 10, 2:19 pm

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
Originally Posted by TurtleFlyer View Post
Day 1: SEA - DEN - HNL
Day 2: HNL - LAX - SFO - SYD - MEL
Day 4: MEL - SYD - SFO - LAX - HNL - SFO
Day 5: SFO - ORD - MUC
Day 6: MUC - CGN
Day 10: CGN - MUC - FRA - SFO - HNL - SFO
Day 11: SFO - SEA

My toosh hurts just thinking out this, yet I'd do it in a heartbeat.
Old Dec 12, 10, 4:57 pm

This is a herculean effort. I bow to him.

I can only imagine how Colonius is feeling about now. Actually, no I can't. The man should be inducted into the Mileage Runners Hall Of Fame.

And then committed to an asylum...

Last edited by eightblack; Dec 13, 10 at 6:54 pm
Old Dec 12, 10, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, H.H. Gold, Hyatt GP Plat, SPG Gold, Enterprise Plat, Avis Pres Club
When will you be back to SEA?

There should be some sort of welcome party/coronation ceremony when you do.
Old Dec 12, 10, 9:37 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by CIT85 View Post
Absolutely not.

MR are almost always done on personal funds in order to achieve status at a reasonable cost. International C/F tickets are rarely low cost, although some C fares are not bad. Anyone who flys a lot and cannot afford to pay for international C/F fares, which is most FF, having status is of considerable value.
I'm not saying I don't understand MRs, I do understand them and I do partake in them as well. I recently did SFO-BOS-SFO on AA to keep my Gold status (equal to Premier).
My point was the OP was doing an almost 50K MR to keep 1K status, which seems a bit excessive to me as a MR. My threshold for MRs is if the next tier is doable w/ 2 transcon runs, I'll go ahead and do it, otherwise, I'll just let my status lapse.

Anyways, I'm rooting on the OP, maybe one day I'll raise my threshold for MRs. One of my cousins might be moving to Australia soon, it'd give me an excuse to MR down there to hang out with her for a few days
Old Dec 12, 10, 9:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP, BW Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Plat
I'm not saying I don't understand MRs, I do understand them and I do partake in them as well. I recently did SFO-BOS-SFO on AA to keep my Gold status (equal to Premier).
My point was the OP was doing an almost 50K MR to keep 1K status, which seems a bit excessive to me as a MR. My threshold for MRs is if the next tier is doable w/ 2 transcon runs, I'll go ahead and do it, otherwise, I'll just let my status lapse.

Anyways, I'm rooting on the OP, maybe one day I'll raise my threshold for MRs. One of my cousins might be moving to Australia soon, it'd give me an excuse to MR down there to hang out with her for a few days
It is important to remember that for MANY of us (especially those like myself who earn elite status based 100% on personal travel), MRs are a hobby in and of themselves...the journey (MRs) can be as much fun (or more) than the destination (obtaining elite status)....my wife and I look at our mileage runs as dates...we even did a 8 segment run one time for our anniversary
Old Dec 12, 10, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA MM
good work!

Ouch. colonius! I thought I had it tough with 33k in Sep and 43k in Nov. The only upgrades I got were my ZRH MR; most of the rest was OZ coach on their rock hard seats and full flights. At least I got 1k after such a slow start (20k by Aug). I love the customs people asking "you were there for one day?".
Old Dec 13, 10, 1:02 am

Programs: UA: 1p, AA: plat 2MM
Originally Posted by CIT85 View Post
Absolutely not.

And then there is the fact that Colonius does not always fly alone. He and I try to maintain status (I usually stop at 1P) so the whole family gets lounge access and at least E+. If things go wrong one of us having 1K is usually enough. Since I did not manage to fly at all this year, I will start running in January to make 2P and then again in July or so, to get back up to 1P and have it until Jan 2012.

Originally Posted by TurtleFlyer View Post

This is a very entertaining thread, and like everyone, I am rooting for colonius with a mixture of horror and fascination. But I am concerned about his risk of developing a blood clot in his legs and returning to his wife and two kids after having thrown a pulmonary embolus. Colonius, I hope that, with your doctor's advice, you are taking low-dose aspirin, and are staying well hydrated and working those calf muscles.

So far so good.. he is in Cologne and after sleeping for 12 hours, he is doing well. Thank you for your concerns, though, but as a FF he is constantly making sure he is well hydrated and moving whenever possible.

I'll expect him to write an update later today, after he had made his plans for today. I expect him to drop in at my parents' for some serious pampering and great food first.

Originally Posted by SEABrad View Post
When will you be back to SEA?

There should be some sort of welcome party/coronation ceremony when you do.
The 11:59pm red-eye from HNL to SFO then to SEA, coming in around 10:30 am, I think. I can find out....

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 13, 10 at 1:14 am Reason: merge
Old Dec 13, 10, 9:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5*, IHG RA, Hyatt Diamond, Amex Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by colonius View Post
First off, my apologies that it took so long for me to report back but either my connections were too short or the internet less than stellar (flaky at SYD Koru Lounge, non at MEL RCC).

I am now sitting in the HNL RCC, with a bit less than four hours to kill. I have just completed the LAX-SYD-MEL-SYD-SFO-LAX-HNL portion of my mileage run, with only minor mishaps to report.
Were you on UA78 on 12/10? I was on UA79 from SFO and did the turnaround on UA78. Delayed in SFO 2 hours because the flight from DEN was delayed. Got into HNL at 1230 and departed 45 min later and in the penalty box for 30 min.
Old Dec 13, 10, 10:00 am

Programs: UA Gold
Colonius, I feel your pain in the emergency exit row. I can't believe Good Samaritan gave up the extra seat to refill the row!!

If I had a FFM for every person that's stepped on my tows in the EE row without even an apology, I could make 1K on that alone.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: