Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

The 47,000 mile pre-christmas mileage run (report)

The 47,000 mile pre-christmas mileage run (report)

Old Dec 9, 10, 12:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Hertz 5*, National Executive, Hyatt DSC, HHonors/SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG PLT
Wow, makes my 15,000 MR for no other reason than earning another Elite Choice reward seem paltry. FWIW, I stayed at the Best Western at the HNL airport last month, was upgraded to a corner room, and it was very quiet and comfortable. I'd consider staying there next time. I'll echo my congrats on the upgrade. Here's hoping for one for you on the way back, and be sure to say hi to Annie!
Old Dec 9, 10, 1:12 am

Programs: UA: 1p, AA: plat 2MM
Originally Posted by dfreeman02 View Post
The itinerary appears to include 3 or 4 days of work in CGN and 4 days of weekend, so the OP is only taking 4 or 5 vacation days.

The real question is how he got his wife and kids to let him turn a 4-day business trip into a 12-day affair.
Simple! The wife (me) and the kids love that crazy guy and that's that! The kids are still at school and voted against a family vacation to Germany due to the bad weather there. We'll take a short trip to the local Hot Springs instead and wait until spring to see Europe and the grandparents again.

I've done the SEA-Mel-YYJ round-trip last summer and in E+ is wasn't that bad, but I am only 5'5" and ordering a special meal helped too.

For the latest travel update see below...
Old Dec 9, 10, 1:36 am

Programs: former {UA 1k // SPG Gold, HHonors Silver}, now starting up again
OP, if you miss the flight to SYD due to connection issue, can you just claim original routing credit/trip in vain and continue directly to Europe?

That would cut some serious wear-and-tear out of your mileage run while still getting you the credit!
Old Dec 9, 10, 2:48 am

Programs: UA Gold
Glad to see there's some other craziness going on out there. Last weekend, in the middle of an India business trip, I snuck in a DEL-MUC-SFO-MUC-DEL roundtrip over about 46 hours. It was just a bit fatiguing, luckily the lounges in DEL & MUC made the in betweens bearable, though I continue to really appreciate 1K status more in Europe than the US. No upgrades anywhere, coach the entire way in Lufthansa, but emergency exited. The interesting moments were few. When the head purser came back, introduced herself, said hi and asked if there was anything she could do to make my flight better. I guess there aren't many *G on DEL-MUC, that's a first for me in economy. The other when I worked through the entire SFO-MUC flight, and the guy next to me says "how did you stay awake that whole flight?" and I said "well, I left Delhi yesterday, and I'm still on India time, it's the middle of the day for me". He says "oh, where are you going now?" (we're in MUC) and I say "Delhi". He looked quite confused by what exactly I was doing.

The good news is that after my return to the US, I should be at 99853 EQM, and with my little jot over to Mammoth on the 16th, will go 1K again for next year (and might even make it earlier depending on how Lufthansa decides to treat my within-Europe flights).
Old Dec 9, 10, 3:19 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by bmir View Post
OP, if you miss the flight to SYD due to connection issue, can you just claim original routing credit/trip in vain and continue directly to Europe?

That would cut some serious wear-and-tear out of your mileage run while still getting you the credit!
One usually has to reach the destination before he/she can claim the original routing credit.
Old Dec 9, 10, 4:35 am

Programs: Hyatt, AA
Great TR so far, what a crazy itinerary! Makes my MR look like peanuts. ^^

<subscribed>
Old Dec 9, 10, 5:06 am

Programs: TG Gold, BA Gold
Hats off mate.. its hard work getting to 1K from circa 55k.

To follow on from the HNL thing, it is a great destination in terms of value from London as well.

I was at 55K a month ago and did LHR-LAX-HNL-DEN-IAD-LHR then LHR-LAX-SFO-LAX-SYD-LAX-ORD-LHR on back to back weekends for the sole purpose of getting to 1K. Not a bad deal for 1400 all in.

I look forward to the updates!
Old Dec 9, 10, 9:00 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Originally Posted by colonius View Post
I would have chained myself to the service desk across gate 70A if they would have tried to take that upgrade away from me.
LOL...

Originally Posted by colonius View Post

At first I thought he was offering a proctological exam (Butt Light....)!
!
Doesnt the TSA already do those exams for everyone for free??

Also, congrats again on getting the upgrade all the way on the outbound. Wow. !
Old Dec 9, 10, 9:40 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
I am not worthy.

Keep up the good work!
Old Dec 9, 10, 10:37 am

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
I can feel the pain reading your itinerary. That is a lot of BIS in a short period of time.
Old Dec 9, 10, 11:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, H.H. Gold, Hyatt GP Plat, SPG Gold, Enterprise Plat, Avis Pres Club
Great post! Looking forward to updates.

I did my first ever MR (of a weak 6400 miles) Monday. If I had a passport and would have known you were doing this trip I would have had to think long and hard about if 1K was worth it - would have been easy for me out of SEA.

Best of luck on upgrades and enjoy the ride!
Old Dec 9, 10, 11:28 am

Programs: UA: 1p, AA: plat 2MM
Originally Posted by bmir View Post

Not an issue here, because hubby was re-booked on the LAX-SYD and they actually gave him the C class seat all the way to MEL. So far, he is on track and I hope all will go well, because who do you think usually talks to UA and gets all those booking straightened out? I know I will talk to them again closer to his return from Germany, since the MUC-SFO is heavily overbooked and so there is no chance that his SWU will go through. But with the weather chaos in MUC, that can change any day anyway.

We should be able to hear from him in a couple of hours from SYD. He usually calls me right after touch down and he'll update this log from the Air NZL lounge, after he had that much deserved shower.
Old Dec 9, 10, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat., NEXUS, Amex, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Yes, that shower in the lounge feels great after a 14 hour flight! Please tell Annie hi from her FT friends!
Old Dec 9, 10, 11:41 am
In Memoriam

mr

I am jealous. Good luck!
Old Dec 9, 10, 11:47 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by Lady Mim View Post
Not an issue here, because hubby was re-booked on the LAX-SYD and they actually gave him the C class seat all the way to MEL. So far, he is on track and I hope all will go well, because who do you think usually talks to UA and gets all those booking straightened out? I know I will talk to them again closer to his return from Germany, since the MUC-SFO is heavily overbooked and so there is no chance that his SWU will go through. But with the weather chaos in MUC, that can change any day anyway.

We should be able to hear from him in a couple of hours from SYD. He usually calls me right after touch down and he'll update this log from the Air NZL lounge, after he had that much deserved shower.
Welcome to FT, Lady Mim, and thank you for being supportive of this MR. ^

We are all watching and praying and can hardly wait for the next update that should be due soon.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: