Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Switching Between SWU/CR-1/Miles-Supported/UDU for Upgrades" Thread

Consolidated "Switching Between SWU/CR-1/Miles-Supported/UDU for Upgrades" Thread

Old Jul 17, 2010, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, HHonors Diamond

Is it possible to 'change' an upgrade instrument? IE. If I would use a SWU now, but swap it to a CR-1 later?

Is it possible to 'cancel' an upgrade prior to flight (and get the upgrade instrument back?) I did a few searches, and only found where if you used miles, you could get it back before travel (if same fare bucket open) or day of travel (any bucket in same class as original seat)... does this work the same w/ SWU and CR1s?

Thx

Moderator's Note - Older posts may be found here.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 8, 2010 at 2:12 pm
Old Jul 17, 2010, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, NW forever
Originally Posted by psubill78
Is it possible to 'change' an upgrade instrument? IE. If I would use a SWU now, but swap it to a CR-1 later?
If the upgrade is not confirmed this is easy. If the upgrade is confirmed you may be able to do this if you get the right agent.

Is it possible to 'cancel' an upgrade prior to flight (and get the upgrade instrument back?) I did a few searches, and only found where if you used miles, you could get it back before travel (if same fare bucket open) or day of travel (any bucket in same class as original seat)... does this work the same w/ SWU and CR1s?

Thx
Yes, same with all upgrade instruments (including UDU).
Old Jul 17, 2010, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
I have done it, with the help of good CS, please stay away from ICC.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 8:00 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
I was able to switch out a SWU I used for a domestic transcon to the UDU since it's within 100 hours, NC was open and my original ticketed booking class ("H") still had availability. Took all of 4 minutes ^
Old Aug 10, 2010, 8:51 pm

Programs: Lawl COVID
Swapping WLed SWU for Miles+Copay: Doable?

Have some waitlisted SWUs on an upcoming TATL, my last two. Was thinking about pulling them and using them on another, longer TPAC I have planned later this year. (I could have sworn you could do that on the older .bomb but it's not giving me the option now, at least not that I can see) and upgrading with miles+copay. I'm Q on the outbound, W on the in. I realize NC space is the ultimate factor, but

#1. Is it possible? I'm assuming the 1K desk can help, but unsure.
#2. Is it a bad idea?
Old Aug 10, 2010, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
Presumably some useful info here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ts-merged.html
Old Aug 11, 2010, 12:24 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FiveMileFinal
Have some waitlisted SWUs on an upcoming TATL, my last two. Was thinking about pulling them and using them on another, longer TPAC I have planned later this year. (I could have sworn you could do that on the older .bomb but it's not giving me the option now, at least not that I can see) and upgrading with miles+copay. I'm Q on the outbound, W on the in. I realize NC space is the ultimate factor, but

#1. Is it possible? I'm assuming the 1K desk can help, but unsure. ....
Assuming upgrade has not cleared then cancel old request and replace with new. Should be able to do all this online
#2. Is it a bad idea?
Other than reseting the time on waitlist, there should be no difference on waitlist with SWU or miles -- it is assumed there is no difference in priority based on upgrade method.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 5:19 pm

Programs: Lawl COVID
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Assuming upgrade has not cleared then cancel old request and replace with new. Should be able to do all this online
Where? When I go into the fruity new Upgrades page, there's no option for me to yank them. They're definitely waitlisted, so I know that's not the issue.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 5:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Where? When I go into the fruity new Upgrades page, there's no option for me to yank them. They're definitely waitlisted, so I know that's not the issue.
never has been in the upgrade summary section, always has been in the upgrade part of MyItineraries / My Reservations
However, it appears you can only cancel pending upgrades now
I have an upgrade on United that I want to cancel. Can I cancel it online? You may cancel a pending upgrade online via My itineraries; however, in order to cancel a waitlisted or confirmed upgrade, please contact 1-800-UNITED-1 or the Premier desk.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
yes, changing is a bit of a pain. Strangely, I have a reservation domestic, which is of course in the UDU pipeline. When I go to the upgrade pages on ual.com, it shows that I can only upgrade this with a SWU? I have many regionals, which I would prefer to use, or even miles. So, I am thinking that the requirement is to "CANCEL" the upgrade request and then more options will appear?
Old Dec 8, 2010, 12:38 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
SWU vs Co-pay with miles and money

Will be returnig from DXB in early February, booked W class, have my confirmed outbound business class seat with my last SWU for this year, won't have my new ones unitl Jan 1. At that time I can request an upgrade using a new SWU for the return flight, or rather than take the chance so close to the return date Feb 10, do a copay with dollars and miles appreciate suggestions.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5*, Emerald Executive, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by sfo
Will be returnig from DXB in early February, booked W class, have my confirmed outbound business class seat with my last SWU for this year, won't have my new ones unitl Jan 1. At that time I can request an upgrade using a new SWU for the return flight, or rather than take the chance so close to the return date Feb 10, do a copay with dollars and miles appreciate suggestions.
afaik, isn't using either instrument identical in every respect?
Old Dec 8, 2010, 12:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by tlawrence85
isn't using either instrument identical in every respect?
A SWU requires a W fare and no co-pay.

OP, if you want to lock in the upgrade, use the miles. Just don't count on being able to swap it for a SWU later, because it really isn't fair.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 3:58 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
A SWU requires a W fare and no co-pay.

OP, if you want to lock in the upgrade, use the miles. Just don't count on being able to swap it for a SWU later, because it really isn't fair.
I would either do the SWU or the copay and miles, I would never have thought of doing what you suggest. I agree it would not be fair to the others. But now that I think about it.........just kidding@:-)
Old Jan 1, 2011, 6:27 am

Programs: UA GS
Converting miles upgrade to SWU?

I recently acquired a SWU from my employer and intend to use it on a long upcoming series of flights to SE Asia. But it happened after I put in for miles upgrade, some segments of which have cleared and some segments of which haven't.

Will United disturb my cleared upgrades if I call in the SWU? I ask because I recently had to alter the front end of the itinerary to a full fare Y and that would only cost me 12,500 miles up upgrade, so I want to upgrade the return with the SWU, get back the upgrade miles and cash spent on the non-full-fare Y return.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 1, 2011 at 6:52 am Reason: moved into existing thread

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.