Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Switching Between SWU/CR-1/Miles-Supported/UDU for Upgrades" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Switching Between SWU/CR-1/Miles-Supported/UDU for Upgrades" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2011, 11:24 am

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
Used SWU for upg can i change to CR1

Hi everyone, need help please. I am flying LAX-JFK on 4-28. Very late booking, 4-22. Had to use SWU to guarantee upg to C. I have 8 SWU's and 4 CR1's. I'd like to swap out the CR-1's for the SWU's Does anyone know exactly what I have to do to accomplish that? IF I do it will I lose my UPG as they have to go back into the magic crystal ball, i.e. the computer, to change the upg instrument? That is my fear. C is full on the outbound and lots of seats on the return. Thx for any help and suggestions.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 11:34 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Check to see if your flight still has immediately confirmable upgrade space.. if so, then you're safe to cancel your upgrade online and re-do it with a CR1. If not, then just wait until you're at the airport.. don't checkin online or at a kiosk, go to the ticket counter and have an agent switch it for you and check you in.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 11:54 am

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
thanks

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Check to see if your flight still has immediately confirmable upgrade space.. if so, then you're safe to cancel your upgrade online and re-do it with a CR1. If not, then just wait until you're at the airport.. don't checkin online or at a kiosk, go to the ticket counter and have an agent switch it for you and check you in.
thank you so much for the answer. Have a nice day
Old Apr 27, 2011, 9:18 am

So, I admit, the u/g system now has so many moving parts I've lost track. Remind me of why I would want to use a CR1 at all if I ticket trips which are solely NF0 at the time of ticketing, on trips where no NF opens until a few days out? That is, if I waitlist for NF with a CR1, is my advantage over just waiting for UDU, assuming no NF is released until the GS window opens as now seems common, that when the GS window does open, my CR1 could get me an F seat then, before the 1K window opens, and thus I'm not competing with other 1Ks? I guess this is equivalent to asking "When the GS UDU window opens, is more NF space ever released other than that solely needed for GSs?"
Old May 31, 2011, 8:41 am
Suspended

Sorry if this has been answered, but I have a question regarding swapping a miles upgrade for an SWU. I have a reservation that is confirmed in United Business "NC" to Hong Kong. I used a mileage upgrade on this flight. A friend of mine said I can use one of his expiring SWUs for the flight. Can I call United, ask them to redeposit the miles and take the SWU instead?
Old May 31, 2011, 12:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by vjm58
Sorry if this has been answered, but I have a question regarding swapping a miles upgrade for an SWU. I have a reservation that is confirmed in United Business "NC" to Hong Kong. I used a mileage upgrade on this flight. A friend of mine said I can use one of his expiring SWUs for the flight. Can I call United, ask them to redeposit the miles and take the SWU instead?
What you are proposing is possible but very difficult.
-- switch miles for a SWU in the first place requires an experienced agent
-- you can not do this, only the sponsor can apply their SWUs (and since done on the phone will require the sponsor to go to an airport for the final authorizing step).

If the upgradeable NC is presently available, then this can be done but your original fare class must be available. This would be a cancel and then have the sponsor apply the upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.