Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

New Policy: Lights on for takeoff and landing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Policy: Lights on for takeoff and landing?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2010, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 323power
On a recent US Scareways flight, the FA instructed us that the window shades must be up for take off and landing...first time I had heard that. Never heard that on United.
I've had this a few times. I agree that its annoying if trying to sleep!
Old Dec 8, 2010, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by annerj
I've had this a few times. I agree that its annoying if trying to sleep!
Good golly we're talking about safety here.

If you're sleeping and the plane veers off the runway in an aborted takeoff, do you really want to be thrown around, wake up and look over at your window to see - oh, yeah, you wanted darkness for your tired eyes... so sorry you can't tell there's a fire on your side of the plane as you try to evac and the shade is stuck in the down position.

Stay awake, sit up and pay attention until the aircraft rotates, then lower your shade and pass out.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1mm Gold. Former 1K and GS.
Originally Posted by jetaway96
I have never heard of that "new rule". I don't know where those FA got that from. They must have missread it somewhere.

As long as the cabin lights and the outside light are matching, we are all good to go.
I thought that was the case. Tx and Tx to AD.

Originally Posted by halothane
i was on ORD-SFO last night as well and the announcement was made several times that it was a new UA policy for the lights to be on until the wheels were off the ground. The lights were turned off almost immediately upon wheels up.
Where were you sitting? Too bad I missed a visit.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by hellyea
Yeah I've heard the explanation before in addition to that pilots cannot see the aircraft and thus rely on pax to notify the crew of any visible problems. but, nonetheless, its annoying.

When you're landing at 530 AM and the sun's coming up, that last 30 minutes of sleep during descent and taxing is much needed.
Ever considered using eye shades?
Old Dec 8, 2010, 7:32 pm

Programs: SPG, HH, AA, UA, BD, Hyatt, TYP
Originally Posted by climmy
Where were you sitting? Too bad I missed a visit.
4A
Old Dec 8, 2010, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1mm Gold. Former 1K and GS.
Originally Posted by halothane
4A
Wow. I was the guy in 5A who kept grabbing your seat to get out .

Just kidding, I removed myself from the upgrade list about 3 hours before on MKE.

I ended up with a row to myself in 33.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 1:40 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Sad to hear this may be the case based on earlier responses; I hope it isn't true. My last night flight was 12/5 and the lights were off for takeoff and landing. Personally, I am all for window shades being up during these critical phases of flight. It helps passengers see what it happening if an emergency occurs, allowing them to make the right evacuation decision. With the lights on, however, seeing out becomes much more difficult and reduces the chance that passengers will make good choices. It is already silly enough that we need to prepare for landing on the double chime, but keeping the lights on goes one step farther in the wrong direction....
Old Dec 13, 2010, 8:49 am

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
I heard it for the first time last night. And I've been on a few flights since this thread started.

Purser announced something like, "Per our new policy, The cabin lights must be dimmed during takeoff and landing, if you need additional light..."

This was a night flight, so it was dark out. I also think we need the window shades open during takeoff and landing, day or night. And at night, as cmhua777 stated, its much easier to see out with the lights off. Makes sense to me.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 10:53 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K 1MM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UA777222
I was under the impression that during night flights the aircraft was dimmed so as to reduce the time it takes your eyes to dilate in the event of an evacuation.
As an ex-FA, this is correct. And the reason to keep the shades open is to quickly be able to identify the location of fire, debris, etc. in the event of an emergency evacuation.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 10:54 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by emanon256
I heard it for the first time last night. And I've been on a few flights since this thread started.

Purser announced something like, "Per our new policy, The cabin lights must be dimmed during takeoff and landing, if you need additional light..."

This was a night flight, so it was dark out. I also think we need the window shades open during takeoff and landing, day or night. And at night, as cmhua777 stated, its much easier to see out with the lights off. Makes sense to me.
Heard it on 4 flights on 12/11 with 3 of the 4 flights departing in darkness (6am, 7pm & 10pm)
Old Dec 14, 2010, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold, too many cruise programs to list
I'm always a little uncomfortable on takeoff and landing when not in the window seat and my seatmate doesn't open the shade.

Grew up having my 60s era flight attendant mom drill into me the safety importance of having the shade open during those periods. Having had a few flights where the FO came back (yes, in the old days when they could actually leave the cockpit) to check out a potential issue, it reinforced the reason for the policy.

I, for one, applaud the return to that standard. Even though I'm one who can sleep gate to gate and hate the early morning sun, I'd rather that than an unseen fire on the wing.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 7:42 pm

Flew ORD-SFO tonight and the FA made multiple announcements about a new UA policy requiring the interior lights to be on for takeoff and landing. Very annoying.

Is this for real or just an overzealous FA?
Originally Posted by emanon256

I am confused, so what is the new policy? Lights off or turned on during take-off and landing? In UA Express, it's always turned off at night.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA (ExecPlat.), UA, DL, Hertz (Club Gold), Avis, Hilton (Diamond VIP), Starwood, Marriott
Flew ORD-SFO tonight and the FA made multiple announcements about a new UA policy requiring the interior lights to be on for takeoff and landing. Very annoying.

Is this for real or just an overzealous FA?
Oh good gravy!!!! I hope not.

On a UX flight from LAS to LAX on 12/11 -- lights out after the safety briefing -- back on when parked at gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.