Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

New Policy: Lights on for takeoff and landing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Policy: Lights on for takeoff and landing?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2010, 9:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UNITED863
+1.

The window shades up, I can understand for the reasons already given above.
Agree. A pilot once noted that they do this because in the event of an emergency evacuation, it's important for the passengers to be able to see and adjust to time of day. If it's a day flight, but all window shades are down, and you have to evacuate, you lost seconds having your eyes adjust to the sunlight upon evacuation.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 9:35 am

Location: The opinion expessed here are not necessarly those of United Airlines or any affiliates or subsidiaries of UAL Corp..
Per our last update Dec 3:

Cabin lighting requirements are in place for your safety and that of our customers. Please be sure to adhere to the following standards for cabin lighting outlined in the Flight Attendant Operations Manual (2.50.3). At points in the flight when cabin lights are dimmed for customer comfort, remember to use your flashlight to help you safely navigate the airplane.

Boarding
Turn on aisle, galley, and entry/threshold lights.

Takeoff
Dim cabin lighting and turn off entry/threshold lights for night departures or when weather conditions are dark.

Inflight Provide low-level lighting from at least one source (e.g., cove, sidewall, or ceiling) at all times for customer safety. When possible, dim galley lights to avoid disturbing customers but ensure there is sufficient light for customer and crew safety.

Pre-Arrival/Second Service
In UF and UB, keep lights dim to allow customers to sleep. In UE, additional lighting may be used if lighting is not sufficient for the service.

Landing/Taxi Dim cabin lighting and turn off entry/threshold lights for night arrivals or when weather conditions are dark.

Gate Arrival

Our FAOM's does say that there should be a lights on in the cabin during night flights. Some FA's will leave the side wall lights on per the book for the flight and others will turn them off after the service.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Aluminum tubing
Per our last update Dec 3:

Cabin lighting requirements are in place for your safety and that of our customers. Please be sure to adhere to the following standards for cabin lighting outlined in the Flight Attendant Operations Manual (2.50.3). At points in the flight when cabin lights are dimmed for customer comfort, remember to use your flashlight to help you safely navigate the airplane.

Boarding

Takeoff
Dim cabin lighting and turn off entry/threshold lights for night departures or when weather conditions are dark.

Inflight Provide low-level lighting from at least one source (e.g., cove, sidewall, or ceiling) at all times for customer safety. When possible, dim galley lights to avoid disturbing customers but ensure there is sufficient light for customer and crew safety.

Pre-Arrival/Second Service
In UF and UB, keep lights dim to allow customers to sleep. In UE, additional lighting may be used if lighting is not sufficient for the service.

Landing/Taxi Dim cabin lighting and turn off entry/threshold lights for night arrivals or when weather conditions are dark.

Gate Arrival

Our FAOM's does say that there should be a lights on in the cabin during night flights. Some FA's will leave the side wall lights on per the book for the flight and others will turn them off after the service.
Thanks for posting the update! I guess they feel as though more people will sleep in UF & UB, rather than UE?
Old Dec 8, 2010, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by TiredOfTooMuchTravel
Actually such a policy while you may find it annoying makes sense. Since take off and landing are the most critical phases of the flight, having the window shades open provide for a better view to the outside of the plane should an evacuation be necessary. Gives the QUICK and unobstructed ability to view the conditions outside of the plane.
Yeah I've heard the explanation before in addition to that pilots cannot see the aircraft and thus rely on pax to notify the crew of any visible problems. but, nonetheless, its annoying.

When you're landing at 530 AM and the sun's coming up, that last 30 minutes of sleep during descent and taxing is much needed.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 11:03 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by hellyea
have you ever flown and had the FA's instruct you to open the window shades on takeoff and landing? Now THAT is annoying when you're on a red-eye flight. just happened to me going from ORD / MEX / CUN on Aeromexico. How dumb and ridiculously bothersome when you're trying to sleep until you're at the gate (Departure out of Ohare was @ 1AM).
That's the SOP for non-US carriers. It's even in the safety announcement video on certain airlines (SQ comes to mind). I find it absurd that it's not enforced on US carriers since taking off and landing is the most critical part of the journey. Should anything happen to the plane, it gives rescuers a chance to see what's happening in the plane and more importantly, for the passengers to look outside the plane for any dangers while evacuating the plane.

I was on a non-UA redeye flight once and the FAs closed the ALL the window shades for the comfort of the passengers while they were turning around the aircraft!
Old Dec 8, 2010, 11:09 am

Per safety standard at United, cabin lights should match the condition outside during take off and landing. If it is dark outside, cabin lights should be off. If it is day flight and it is sunny outside, cabin lights should be turned on full. It is for your eyes to adjust between the lights in the cabin and outside just incase of an evacuation and you need to look out the windows, you won't be shock.
About the window shades, only the exit doors are required to be openned during take off and landing. Each exit should have atleast one FA station there and that is our responsibility to ensure the shade are openned during take off and landing.
Ofcouse it is only on United. UX flight is operating by other airlines and they have their own rules. Window exits are not required to be openned during take off and landing. It is up to the pax to decide to have it open or close for their comfort.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 11:23 am

Programs: SPG, HH, AA, UA, BD, Hyatt, TYP
i was on ORD-SFO last night as well and the announcement was made several times that it was a new UA policy for the lights to be on until the wheels were off the ground. The lights were turned off almost immediately upon wheels up.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 11:40 am

I have never heard of that "new rule". I don't know where those FA got that from. They must have missread it somewhere.

As long as the cabin lights and the outside light are matching, we are all good to go.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA Plat, Hertz 5*, Avis First, SPG Plat, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TiredOfTooMuchTravel
Actually such a policy while you may find it annoying makes sense. Since take off and landing are the most critical phases of the flight, having the window shades open provide for a better view to the outside of the plane should an evacuation be necessary. Gives the QUICK and unobstructed ability to view the conditions outside of the plane.
+1

I also remember reading somewhere that 1st responders are in favor of shades being open it allows them to be able to see into the aircraft if necessary. Open windows allow them to better judge the situation.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA PLT
Having the window shades open during take off and landing makes much more sense to me than keeping all the lights on. Everyone should be able to see outside during an emergency to determine which exit to use, and the first responders being able to see inside also makes a lot of sense. In this case, I think the USAir policy is a good one (requiring open window shades.)
Old Dec 8, 2010, 2:27 pm

Programs: Alaska-MVP100k; AA-Plat; HH-Diamond; Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by hellyea
Yeah I've heard the explanation before in addition to that pilots cannot see the aircraft and thus rely on pax to notify the crew of any visible problems. but, nonetheless, its annoying.

When you're landing at 530 AM and the sun's coming up, that last 30 minutes of sleep during descent and taxing is much needed.
Wear eyeshades then..
Old Dec 8, 2010, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA
[QUOTE=TiredOfTooMuchTravel;15405795]Actually such a policy while you may find it annoying makes sense. Since take off and landing are the most critical phases of the flight, having the window shades open provide for a better view to the outside of the plane should an evacuation be necessary. Gives the QUICK and unobstructed ability to view the conditions outside of the plane.

To restate it another way:

With an emergency exit, especially at night, the biggest risk to passengers is exiting into fire. Keeping the window shades up at takeoff and landing is a good practice - making it easy to evaluate the outside environment while moving down the aisle to the closest [safe] exit.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Exec Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Ritz Rewards
I genuinely believe that FA's make up the rules as the go. I do UA red eye every week LAX-JFK and was told window down lights on and window up lights down!!! On a red eye it should be window down lights down and leave the poor saps to sleep in peace.

This concludes my first post to FT.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by davewho??
I genuinely believe that FA's make up the rules as the go. I do UA red eye every week LAX-JFK and was told window down lights on and window up lights down!!! On a red eye it should be window down lights down and leave the poor saps to sleep in peace.

This concludes my first post to FT.
Welcome to FlyerTalk! I hope you stick around here

Personally, I think that window shades must be up for take-off and landing. If it's a redeye, the window can stay closed until it's time to land. That still gives you a good amount of time to sleep, in the dark. On some flights, with the windows closed the entire journey, it's amazing how hard it can be for your eyes to adjust to the sun light. I'd hate to have to deal with that during an evac..
Old Dec 8, 2010, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Exec Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Ritz Rewards
[QUOTE=FriendlySkies;15408945]Welcome to FlyerTalk! I hope you stick around here

Thank you. I've been visiting for a while and browsing the topics. I'm glad I joined up!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.