Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United Airlines' Boeing 777s Painted with New Livery (Sightings, Experiences, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Airlines' Boeing 777s Painted with New Livery (Sightings, Experiences, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2011, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by Grace B
No, much later than that!

Now here's a little question for everyone. How many UA FF'ers who like the new UA (ie CO) paint scheme are self-funded flyers? Very few I imagine.

Anyone can be big and brave (and possibly even stupid) when flying on someone else's dime.

Nothing personal to anyone in my comments!
I am self-funded and I like the livery. Just flew on my first flight with the new livery, a320 SFO-SEA.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brasila
It is really not about the paint....it is about the branding....
You object to the United painted on the side of the plane?
Old Feb 15, 2011, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by colpuck
You object to the United painted on the side of the plane?
Branding is much, much, much more than just a logo
Old Feb 15, 2011, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA EXP, VS (silver-for-life revoked), DL, WN, AS, Hilton diamond, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
1992, when CO was coming out of bankruptcy. I was a college student then, flying between home (LAX) and school (ALB) every six weeks or so for $239 roundtrip (I think), using coupons from AMEX that required only 7 day advance purchase (I think).
They were cheaper than that, at least most of the time. I'm certain they were $129 some of the time. I seem to remember a wide variety of different prices -- they may have gone up to $199 or $219 or even $239 at some point, but definitely for a while were $129 or $179. Kept my multi-year LDR going.

And did I repay them with loyalty? No. By the time I started doing LOTS of travel for work, they really weren't an option for where I was going.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Branding is much, much, much more than just a logo
So you object to the United brand a whole, I take it you would have preferred something else.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 8:01 am

Location: KFST (Nrst=KMAF) or wherever the airplane just took me from there.; PWP Botmaster
Programs: Pre Merger - CO Plat/1MM/STAR. Post Merger - UA 1K/2MM.
Saw what appears to be the first 767-300 in new colors in DEN on 2/14.

Picture quality was sorely lacking, otherwise I'd post it.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
So you object to the United brand a whole, I take it you would have preferred something else.
If you mean, do I object to the "new United" brand overall (aka slap a generic, not custom, font logo onto an existing, fairly dated livery), yes, I would have much preferred something else.

I like the name - just not the JV approach to branding it.

While I (and many other UA loyalists) are sad to walk away from the Tulip, I do believe we would have more accepting of an entirely fresh new look, which is what any smart, F100, leading global corporation would/should have done were they in the same position.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by COFreqFlyer
Saw what appears to be the first 767-300 in new colors in DEN on 2/14.

Picture quality was sorely lacking, otherwise I'd post it.
From our CO "brethren"...

Originally Posted by CO777DAL
Here is the first United 767-300 in Continental Livery.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/flydolc...l-1489853@N25/

Shes looking good! Sharp plane. Now if only the inside can look as new as the outside...
Old Feb 16, 2011, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you mean, do I object to the "new United" brand overall (aka slap a generic, not custom, font logo onto an existing, fairly dated livery), yes, I would have much preferred something else.

I like the name - just not the JV approach to branding it.
So you don't object to the name or the paint, but you want a new livery. What livery do you want on the plane?

You say dated, but it is the 2nd most well established livery among US carriers (AA being the most well established). Even if you think the look is dated, at least it wasn't the inconsitent livery that UA adopted. Most of the F100 CEO's will tell you as well, you don't mess with what works, and the globe has worked.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, AAdvantage, Alaska, BAEC, Marriott, Hawaiian, Hilton HHonors
Some say simplicity is the key to beauty...but in regards to UA's new livery I think it's the case of a lazy mind.
No doubt this is an easy and inexpensive paint job, which I believe was the instructions from the bean counters.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by atanac
Some say simplicity is the key to beauty...but in regards to UA's new livery I think it's the case of a lazy mind.
No doubt this is an easy and inexpensive paint job, which I believe was the instructions from the bean counters.
The CO livery is well established and the brand is respected as well as reasonably well known. I am not sure what else you want from a brand/livery.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So you don't object to the name or the paint, but you want a new livery. What livery do you want on the plane?

You say dated, but it is the 2nd most well established livery among US carriers (AA being the most well established). Even if you think the look is dated, at least it wasn't the inconsitent livery that UA adopted. Most of the F100 CEO's will tell you as well, you don't mess with what works, and the globe has worked.
I most definitely object to the paint, think I made that clear.

Let's look at DL as a case study - 1) merge two airlines, 2) keep the name with more global brand equity, 3) come up with a new visual identity to announce you're now the leading global carrier looking towards the future. While US isn't a leading carrier, they followed the same process with HP.

UA completed the first two steps, but punted on the third. Not surprising, as the more we seem to learn about $misek, the more we learn he seems executional in nature as opposed to visionary (the latter which great CEOs are).

"Established" isn't necessarily a good thing. Southwest has a pretty "established" livery...no thanks. AA is AA - they haven't merged with anyone. If/when they tie up with US, who knows. Some may think AA looks classic - it looks long in the tooth to me.

And enough with "UA adopting inconsistent livery" - while we all know it's taken forever to re-paint, it's not like they were actively painting planes two distinct colors chemes.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let's look at DL as a case study - 1) merge two airlines, 2) keep the name with more global brand equity, 3) come up with a new visual identity to announce you're now the leading global carrier looking towards the future. While US isn't a leading carrier, they followed the same process with HP.

UA completed the first two steps, but punted on the third. Not surprising, as the more we seem to learn about $misek, the more we learn he seems executional in nature as opposed to visionary (the latter which great CEOs are).

"Established" isn't necessarily a good thing. Southwest has a pretty "established" livery...no thanks. AA is AA - they haven't merged with anyone. If/when they tie up with US, who knows. Some may think AA looks classic - it looks long in the tooth to me.

And enough with "UA adopting inconsistent livery" - while we all know it's taken forever to re-paint, it's not like they were actively painting planes two distinct colors chemes.
The problem with that argument is with "2) Keep the name with more brand equity." You can't argue with the fact that UA is more well known than CO. However, when you ask why is the brand more well know you come up with the real answer. UA has been in a lot of trouble recently, BK, Labor issues, service issues. All of that led UA being named the 2nd worst major airline in the US. While the name says UA, the livery invokes all of the positive brand image of CO while keeping the more well known name.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The problem with that argument is with "2) Keep the name with more brand equity." You can't argue with the fact that UA is more well known than CO. However, when you ask why is the brand more well know you come up with the real answer. UA has been in a lot of trouble recently, BK, Labor issues, service issues. All of that led UA being named the 2nd worst major airline in the US. While the name says UA, the livery invokes all of the positive brand image of CO while keeping the more well known name.
...and despite all that, they kept the United name. With 50% more loyalty program members, a greater global reach (flying to 6 continents), and a richer history, it's not hard to understand why. CO has had its own BK(s) and labor issues too. Ask anyone who flies COEX frequently how positive their brand image is of CO.

$misek had an unprecedented chance, with the creation of the biggest airline in the world, to come up with a fresh approach. But he went with the qui¢k and dirty an¢wer that was roundly mocked by anyone who truly understands the impact of brand identity.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 2:05 pm

Programs: Mileage Plan

Actually, I think the current DL branding was dreamed up in 2007...and the merger was not until 2008. I am not saying that the new branding wasn't created in anticipation of the merger, but it was certainly released subsequent to bankruptcy and prior to the announcement of the merger.

Also, anecdotally, I'd say that the rate at which DL was repainting planes pre-merger and post-new brand was much faster than UA.

I personally would have loved to see something entirely new.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.