Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United Airlines' Boeing 777s Painted with New Livery (Sightings, Experiences, etc.)

United Airlines' Boeing 777s Painted with New Livery (Sightings, Experiences, etc.)

Old Feb 16, 11, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by atanac View Post
Some say simplicity is the key to beauty...but in regards to UA's new livery I think it's the case of a lazy mind.
No doubt this is an easy and inexpensive paint job, which I believe was the instructions from the bean counters.
The CO livery is well established and the brand is respected as well as reasonably well known. I am not sure what else you want from a brand/livery.
Old Feb 16, 11, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by colpuck View Post
So you don't object to the name or the paint, but you want a new livery. What livery do you want on the plane?

You say dated, but it is the 2nd most well established livery among US carriers (AA being the most well established). Even if you think the look is dated, at least it wasn't the inconsitent livery that UA adopted. Most of the F100 CEO's will tell you as well, you don't mess with what works, and the globe has worked.
I most definitely object to the paint, think I made that clear.

Let's look at DL as a case study - 1) merge two airlines, 2) keep the name with more global brand equity, 3) come up with a new visual identity to announce you're now the leading global carrier looking towards the future. While US isn't a leading carrier, they followed the same process with HP.

UA completed the first two steps, but punted on the third. Not surprising, as the more we seem to learn about $misek, the more we learn he seems executional in nature as opposed to visionary (the latter which great CEOs are).

"Established" isn't necessarily a good thing. Southwest has a pretty "established" livery...no thanks. AA is AA - they haven't merged with anyone. If/when they tie up with US, who knows. Some may think AA looks classic - it looks long in the tooth to me.

And enough with "UA adopting inconsistent livery" - while we all know it's taken forever to re-paint, it's not like they were actively painting planes two distinct colors chemes.
Old Feb 16, 11, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post

Let's look at DL as a case study - 1) merge two airlines, 2) keep the name with more global brand equity, 3) come up with a new visual identity to announce you're now the leading global carrier looking towards the future. While US isn't a leading carrier, they followed the same process with HP.

UA completed the first two steps, but punted on the third. Not surprising, as the more we seem to learn about $misek, the more we learn he seems executional in nature as opposed to visionary (the latter which great CEOs are).

"Established" isn't necessarily a good thing. Southwest has a pretty "established" livery...no thanks. AA is AA - they haven't merged with anyone. If/when they tie up with US, who knows. Some may think AA looks classic - it looks long in the tooth to me.

And enough with "UA adopting inconsistent livery" - while we all know it's taken forever to re-paint, it's not like they were actively painting planes two distinct colors chemes.
The problem with that argument is with "2) Keep the name with more brand equity." You can't argue with the fact that UA is more well known than CO. However, when you ask why is the brand more well know you come up with the real answer. UA has been in a lot of trouble recently, BK, Labor issues, service issues. All of that led UA being named the 2nd worst major airline in the US. While the name says UA, the livery invokes all of the positive brand image of CO while keeping the more well known name.
Old Feb 16, 11, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
The problem with that argument is with "2) Keep the name with more brand equity." You can't argue with the fact that UA is more well known than CO. However, when you ask why is the brand more well know you come up with the real answer. UA has been in a lot of trouble recently, BK, Labor issues, service issues. All of that led UA being named the 2nd worst major airline in the US. While the name says UA, the livery invokes all of the positive brand image of CO while keeping the more well known name.
...and despite all that, they kept the United name. With 50% more loyalty program members, a greater global reach (flying to 6 continents), and a richer history, it's not hard to understand why. CO has had its own BK(s) and labor issues too. Ask anyone who flies COEX frequently how positive their brand image is of CO.

$misek had an unprecedented chance, with the creation of the biggest airline in the world, to come up with a fresh approach. But he went with the quiĘk and dirty anĘwer that was roundly mocked by anyone who truly understands the impact of brand identity.
Old Feb 16, 11, 3:05 pm

Programs: Mileage Plan

Actually, I think the current DL branding was dreamed up in 2007...and the merger was not until 2008. I am not saying that the new branding wasn't created in anticipation of the merger, but it was certainly released subsequent to bankruptcy and prior to the announcement of the merger.

Also, anecdotally, I'd say that the rate at which DL was repainting planes pre-merger and post-new brand was much faster than UA.

I personally would have loved to see something entirely new.
Old Feb 17, 11, 9:08 am

Location: KFST (Nrst=KMAF) or wherever the airplane just took me from there.; PWP Botmaster
Programs: Pre Merger - CO Plat/1MM/STAR. Post Merger - UA 1K/2MM.
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies View Post
From our CO "brethren"...
My apologies for not being more clear. The quality of the picture from my droid through the window was lacking. The aircraft itself looked spectacular.
Old Feb 17, 11, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It crystalized for me as I was driving the Cross Bronx this AM - passed one of these and couldn't help but think of the new livery. Put a beach ball on it and it would be tough to tell apart.

This mode of transporation is also "safe, clean, and reliable".

Wait a minute...based in Houston too...maybe SMI/J passed their office and got some crazy ideas and started doodling...
Old Feb 17, 11, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It crystallized for me as I was driving the Cross Bronx this AM - passed one of these and couldn't help but think of the new livery. Put a beach ball on it and it would be tough to tell apart.

This mode of transportation is also "safe, clean, and reliable".

Wait a minute...based in Houston too...maybe SMI/J passed their office and got some crazy ideas and started doodling...
The alternating blue stripes look EXACTLY like the UA battleship gray tail.
Old Feb 17, 11, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The alternating blue stripes look EXACTLY like the UA battleship gray tail.
And the yellow stripe / white above looks like the current CO livery, and the truck logo looks like $MISEK'S "custom" logo font - so what?

You're referring to a dated livery from the 90s that isn't proceeding forward BTW

But come to think of it - I guess a dated one from the early 90s IS proceeding forward...
Old Feb 18, 11, 2:08 pm
jss

Programs: UA 1P (1MM), AA PLT (2MM)
FYI--slow painting has always been the case at UA prior to now. 3 different schemes at ORD in late 70's.

Old Feb 22, 11, 9:40 am
Original Poster

The first 747 (N127UA) is due out today. It will ferry to SFO then fly the line tomorrow (2/23).
Old Feb 22, 11, 10:15 am

Programs: UA 1mm Gold. Former 1K and GS.
Flew 975 last night IAD-SFO on a 2-class 777 with the new livery.

Last minute flight change so no upgrade, row 23 middle middle. The usual service which actually isn't bad.

70 names on the upgrade list with 3 seats for grabs. GS'es in the back amongst countless 1K's.

Couldn't see the paint job from the outside.

So for me the experience didn't change one bit.
Old Feb 22, 11, 3:17 pm

Here it is...

Last edited by ualisthebst; Feb 22, 11 at 3:20 pm Reason: Picture posted below...
Old Feb 22, 11, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ualisthebst View Post
Here it is...
That's not a 777. May want to take that post over to the fleet or livery threads.
Old Feb 22, 11, 3:30 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I think the ongoing integration of the new livery in the UA fleet has reached a point where this thread is no longer needed.

If anyone feels there's merit to a new thread to discuss new livery sightings and experiences, please contact a volunteer moderator and we'll give the request proper consideration.

Thanks,

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
United Mileage Plus Forum

Search this Thread
Search Engine: