Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United's "Operation North Pole/Fantasy" Flights

United's "Operation North Pole/Fantasy" Flights

Old Dec 6, 2009, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
So did they actually "fly" around for a few minutes or did they just drive around the airport? Sorry, couldn't resist that comment....my 18 month old has already logged over 50 flight segments so she would be a tough cookie to fool
I believe they only taxi around now. When I did one several years ago, we actually took off did a short tour flight, and then back to the airport.

AD
Old Dec 6, 2009, 10:05 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by aluminumdriver
I believe they only taxi around now. When I did one several years ago, we actually took off did a short tour flight, and then back to the airport.

AD
At LAX yesterday (December 5th) they flew out over Bakersfield and back in a 747. Here's the story from today's LA Times. The passengers were foster kids and disabled adults.

Hats off to UAL and the LAX employees who made this special event happen.

Last edited by danville 1K; Dec 6, 2009 at 10:16 pm
Old Dec 6, 2009, 10:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
I saw this at SFO yesterday and was wondering what it was about. I guessed that it was something for needy or sick children, and I'm glad to have my guess confirmed.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by danville 1K
At LAX yesterday (December 5th) they flew out over Bakersfield and back in a 747. Here's the story from today's LA Times. The passengers were foster kids and disabled adults.

Now THATS a Fantasy Flight...major thumbs up to the UAL folks at LAX! ^
Old Dec 7, 2009, 12:46 am

Programs: UA 1P, Marriott Platium, SPG
Originally Posted by danville 1K

Don't forget, with DEQMs that's 15,520 miles!

This is pretty awesome, and on a 747 no less.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 12:31 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Gold Points
We did fly!

Out of SFO, we had a 747 and did actually take off. Our route took us down to Big Sur and back and forth up the coast for about a 1:30 flight time. Cruising altitude was between 5000 to 8000. Santa and Ms. Claus even made an appearance on the flight.
It was a great experience and emotionally uplifting. Thanks to all the volunteers as well as great sponsors like Chevron for making the flying possible.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS/1K MM, Delta Plat, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold
Very classy. ^^^

Thanks to all the UAL folks who make these happen.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Wow! Totally great. Good job UA!!
Old Dec 7, 2009, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by snowed
I did a quick trip from SF to LA to have lunch with a friend yesterday and saw something very touching I did not know about: the United Airlines Fantasy Flights. With the help of employee volunteers and sponsors, United organizes a holiday flight for needy/sick children every year and transforms parts of airports across the country into mock "North Poles." This event was held across the country yesterday on 12/5/09.

At SFO gate 82 was used: the destination sign was changed to read North Pole. Decorations and balloons were everywhere as well as UA volunteers. They even had balloon arches at the beginnings and ends of the movings walkways which really made Terminal 7 quite festive.

At LAX, the rotunda at the end of Terminal 7 was used. Same North Pole destination sign, with lots of decorations and balloons and UA volunteers. More info from the LA Times here. And yes, UA employees and TSA agents did sing-alongs with the kids!

Additionally, here are some Google News links from various cities across the country yesterday although I am surprised by the relative lack of coverage.

I would like to extend my deepest gratitude to everyone at United that made this possible. You have done many things that have moved me these past few months but this really touched my heart.
I saw that in SFO on my MR yesterday. I thought it was a nice touch and saw a lot of happy kids in the area. Added a nice holiday spirit to an otherwise drab terminal.

Class act, UA. ^^

Also noticed in the link that CO was doing something similar. Good on CO too! ^

Last edited by Superguy; Dec 7, 2009 at 11:34 pm
Old Dec 7, 2009, 5:52 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA silver, LH, UA
Originally Posted by BOSdave
Nice article in the Washington Post today about United's fantasy flight from IAD to the "north pole" for kids with serious illnesses to meet Santa:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...121301940.html

They got to ride in a 777.
I guess this is part of the reciprocate bilateral agreements between the US government and the north pole inc. santa division, which gives Santa the right to fly over US and US carriers fly over the north pole inc. headquarters?

If so, when is the open skies agreement going to be signed?

Will Santa be allowed to be a holder of a US-based airline?
Old Dec 7, 2009, 6:47 pm

Glad to hear they still have the Santa Flights! I saw one last year at ORD and thought it was great! Thanks for the info!
Old Dec 7, 2009, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, NH, AA, HA
Wow!

Reading this, I could feel my eyes welling. Mahalo nui loa to UA and especially to the staff who participated.

Mele Kalikimaka!
Old Dec 7, 2009, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA, AA, CO
Originally Posted by pr0digy25
A flight to the north pole without leaving the ground?

What ever happened to realism? Any kid above the age of 3 will know they didn't go anywhere.

Why not have the undercover Santa hide in F, then don his gear while in flight and come back and see the kids.

Yeah, the whole thing is a nice gesture, but a bit more realism would go a long way!
Old Dec 8, 2009, 10:34 am

It was!

Originally Posted by MileHighGuy
Yeah, the whole thing is a nice gesture, but a bit more realism would go a long way!

I was a volunteer face painter through the Make a Wish Foundation and went on the flight from SFO. The kids and their families were seated in economy and business. After we began our return to SFO, the flight attendants announced that due to the fog, the Pilot was having a hard time finding the North Pole and so Santa had landed his sleigh on the top of the plane and come on board so he could still see the kids. Santa and Ms. Claus then came down stairs from first class and walked all around the plane. When we arrived back at gate 86, the whole gate area was decorated like the North Pole. It was truly a heart warming event! United couldn't have organized it better. Thank you fellow volunteers!
Old Dec 9, 2009, 10:43 am
Ted

Programs: UA 1P MM, HH G, Marriott G
Smile Snowball Express

Noticed an AA flight from SMF-LAX this morning from the area of the UA flights at SMF... turns out to be a charter for kids who had lost a loved one in the military. Flight was going SMF-LAX-SAN-PHX-DFW to being the kids to Dallas for a few days of fun, sounds like a couple of amusement parks and a visit to Cowboys stadium. All the trimmings were out at SMF including Santa, refreshments for the kids (at 5am no less), letter from Gov Arnold, etc.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.