Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United's "Operation North Pole/Fantasy" Flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United's "Operation North Pole/Fantasy" Flights

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2009, 12:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

These are great events. My recollection from previous years is that CO does something similar including actually boarding the plane and performing a high-speed taxi around the field to give the kids a sense of actually moving. It really is a wonderful thing they do. ^^
Old Dec 6, 2009, 12:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Count Your Blessings
Originally Posted by aluminumdriver
We've done these for many years. Both enjoyable and heartbreaking as well when you realize a lot of those smiling kid's faces won't be around the next year. Happy that we still do these even with all the cutbacks at United. ^

AD
Thank you to all the UAL'ers for upholding a streak of humanity in light of the political turmoil of day to day work life.

Please pass on to any crew you know who are directly involved with these flights how much at least one of your customers appreciates that you do it.

It restores my faith in humanity.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by snowed
I did a quick trip from SF to LA to have lunch with a friend yesterday and saw something very touching I did not know about: the United Airlines Fantasy Flights. With the help of employee volunteers and sponsors, United organizes a holiday flight for needy/sick children every year and transforms parts of airports across the country into mock "North Poles." This event was held across the country yesterday on 12/5/09.

At SFO gate 82 was used: the destination sign was changed to read North Pole. Decorations and balloons were everywhere as well as UA volunteers. They even had balloon arches at the beginnings and ends of the movings walkways which really made Terminal 7 quite festive.

At LAX, the rotunda at the end of Terminal 7 was used. Same North Pole destination sign, with lots of decorations and balloons and UA volunteers. More info from the LA Times here. And yes, UA employees and TSA agents did sing-alongs with the kids!

Additionally, here are some Google News links from various cities across the country yesterday although I am surprised by the relative lack of coverage.

I would like to extend my deepest gratitude to everyone at United that made this possible. You have done many things that have moved me these past few months but this really touched my heart.
I was at LAX yesterday as well. I was quite touched by this!
Old Dec 6, 2009, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Nice Job United!^^
Old Dec 6, 2009, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Wirelessly posted (SonyEricssonZ750a/R1DB Browser/NetFront/3.4 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Link/6.3.1.20.06.3.1.20.0)

I was at SFO yesterday and saw this as well. It brought tears to my eyes. To see how excited the kids were, how enthusiastic all the UA folks were. . . really something. What impressed me was how low key the entire thing was - I saw the sign for "Fantasy Flight", but it was only after I asked a UA employee walking by with reindeer antlers (!) that I learned what it was about. Keeping it about the kids rather than about UA was, in my book, classy.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 1:50 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by zrs70
I was at LAX yesterday as well. I was quite touched by this!
And I as well. I also saw a large group going through T6; either a CO or DL flight, I suppose.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 2:27 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
I saw them setting up at SFO when I was headed to my gate. They had the North Pole destination sign up and a few decorations. When I came back later in the evening, the green, red, and white balloon arches over the walking rampways were still there and many confused passengers were wondering what it was when they got off my flight.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 3:01 pm

Programs: United 1K (3MM) and RCC, elite levels for most hotel and car programs
Bravo, United

Missed the event this year but have seen it at IAD in the past. Great tradition, United!
Old Dec 6, 2009, 3:26 pm

I saw the balloons and nutcracker army in SFO (briefly was considering a way to bring one of them with me ). Didn't understand what they all were for, very nice to hear United giving opportunities like this for kids. ^^^
Old Dec 6, 2009, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Its nice that the airlines do this for the kids, I'm sure it puts a smile on their faces.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 3:59 pm

This is so cool that UA does this for the kids. It looks like a lot of fun for everyone involved and no doubt means a lot for the families.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Thanks UA! This grandpa of six going on seven would write more but I'm having computer problems - my monitor keeps fogging up.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
So did they actually "fly" around for a few minutes or did they just drive around the airport? Sorry, couldn't resist that comment....my 18 month old has already logged over 50 flight segments so she would be a tough cookie to fool
Old Dec 6, 2009, 6:13 pm

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Bravo to UA for this .... wow is all i can say.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 6:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
So did they actually "fly" around for a few minutes or did they just drive around the airport? Sorry, couldn't resist that comment....my 18 month old has already logged over 50 flight segments so she would be a tough cookie to fool
If it's per the one example I've heard of, they leave from a gate, taxi to the runway, then run up a bit as if they were taking off, then announce they've arrived and exit the runway and then head back to a different gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.