Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UDU Sweeps not Happening

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2010, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA-PLT UA-SIL | PC-Plat MR-Plat | Nat'l-EmEx Hertz-5*
Originally Posted by emcampbe
F being wide open is irrelevant, it's what NF is that really matters, as this is the bucket that upgrades go into. If NF=0, then that is what is supposed to happen. Perhaps UA thinks they can sell those seats?
Pardon my ignorance, I'm new to frequent flying. Is there a way to see 'NF' availability on the United website? I tried to do a dummy booking for ORD-MSP on 11/29 (last outbound flight), and it shows F9 A9 on the A320. No one in E+ seems to have been upgraded so far. Does this mean United is holding the F seats for last minute bookings and upgrades will only be processed at the gate?

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 27, 2010, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by HornOKPlease
Pardon my ignorance, I'm new to frequent flying. Is there a way to see 'NF' availability on the United website? I tried to do a dummy booking for ORD-MSP on 11/29 (last outbound flight), and it shows F9 A9 on the A320. No one in E+ seems to have been upgraded so far. Does this mean United is holding the F seats for last minute bookings and upgrades will only be processed at the gate?

Thanks in advance!
Yes, set your profile to expert mode, log out, log in, do a search for a standard award ticket with your routing, hover over the flight details and it will show NF
Old Nov 27, 2010, 8:27 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Originally Posted by gomike
Yes, set your profile to expert mode, log out, log in, do a search for a standard award ticket with your routing, hover over the flight details and it will show NF
Or purchase the KVS Availability Tool browser, platinum or diamond editions. Much more convenient.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

F being wide open is irrelevant, it's what NF is that really matters, as this is the bucket that upgrades go into. If NF=0, then that is what is supposed to happen. Perhaps UA thinks they can sell those seats?
We'll see - less than 48 hours before departure, early Monday moring flight....
Old Nov 27, 2010, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HornOKPlease

Thanks in advance!
It means they're not ready to give out any of the available F seats for upgrades just yet, yes, part of it is probably holding out for last minute bookings. I'm not familiar with that route, though seems there are plenty of F availability on most flights, yet all are at NF=0. Upgrades will certainly be given out at the gate if the seats are not sold by then.

However, they can still release upgrade availability prior to the gate, as well. I've been upgraded at various times between my 48 hour upgrade clearance window and the gate. I know once it happened at 24 hours prior, another time 12 hours prior, and once, even 4 hours prior.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by gfowler-ord-1k
Or purchase the KVS Availability Tool browser, platinum or diamond editions. Much more convenient.
To search for upgrade space on KVS it says you need a X1 MP membership, what FF program is this?
Old Nov 28, 2010, 11:25 am
In memoriam

To search for upgrade space on KVS it says you need a X1 MP membership, what FF program is this?
PM sent
Old Nov 28, 2010, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA-PLT UA-SIL | PC-Plat MR-Plat | Nat'l-EmEx Hertz-5*
^ Thanks, guys! emcampbe, you are right the upgrades were processed ~ 4 hours before departure.

It means they're not ready to give out any of the available F seats for upgrades just yet, yes, part of it is probably holding out for last minute bookings. I'm not familiar with that route, though seems there are plenty of F availability on most flights, yet all are at NF=0. Upgrades will certainly be given out at the gate if the seats are not sold by then.

However, they can still release upgrade availability prior to the gate, as well. I've been upgraded at various times between my 48 hour upgrade clearance window and the gate. I know once it happened at 24 hours prior, another time 12 hours prior, and once, even 4 hours prior.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA `1K, Marriott Rewards Platinum
HNL to ORD always seems to clear 6-8 hours before departure for me. Annoying, but I am 14/14 on it this year. Id go with the "trying to sell the seats" guess.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
it may be "pending purgatory" -- this started occurring last month and had seemed to died down
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ed-2010-a.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-ownwards.html
if it happens you need to call -- seems to be easily corrected. No clear theory on why it occurs but some have speculated it was unintended consequences due to changes to enable CO elites UDU
This is exactly what's happening and it seems to have been happening (at least for me) since Labor Day weekend...a couple emails to CS don't seem to help as UA refuses to acknowledge that UDU is not working correctly at the upgrade windows....I'm suprised it hasn't been fixed yet especially given the fact that many 1Ks and 1Ps are missing out on upgrades because they don't discover their reservation is "stuck" in pending status until after the 2P window opens and by that time they could be out of luck...all I want for Christmas from UA is for them to fix this problem!
Old Nov 28, 2010, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
On main transcon and similar routes it appears UA is holding off confirmations until a day or two prior to the flight, even for 1Ks. The old windows don't seem to apply on routes where history suggests last minute bookings will fill the front cabin, or GS and 1Ks will flood demand. PremExs are unlikely to be confirmed even on day of flight until at the gate. Only NC/NF upgrades get confirmed in advance, and when that space is gone, look for clearing only at time of OLCI or even after.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Shareholder
On main transcon and similar routes it appears UA is holding off confirmations until a day or two prior to the flight, even for 1Ks. The old windows don't seem to apply on routes where history suggests last minute bookings will fill the front cabin, or GS and 1Ks will flood demand. PremExs are unlikely to be confirmed even on day of flight until at the gate. Only NC/NF upgrades get confirmed in advance, and when that space is gone, look for clearing only at time of OLCI or even after.
That may be the case, but I think what the OP is referring to is the issue of "pending" status not switching to "waitlisted" status at the upgrade windows which is what should happen when there is no NF space available at the time...others have reported being stuck in "pending" status even when there was clearly NF space available.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Does anybody know what happens to your existing itineraries when your status changes? I recently graduated from 1P and I am now inside the 100 hr mark for an upcoming flight on a 757 that is showing NF4, yet I am still "pending."

I just called the help line and they claimed that I was not yet inside the UDU window (according to the agent, my window opens up at 11pm tonight, despite my flight being at 6pm on 12/2.... crazy math if you ask me). I'll call back shortly, as I'm not worried about the upgrade not clearing.

But I'm wondering if all my existing reservations still think I'm 1P and if I'm going to have to tell the next poor agent I talk to, to re-apply my MP number to everything.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 5:18 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by Slurve30
... I just called the help line and they claimed that I was not yet inside the UDU window (according to the agent, my window opens up at 11pm tonight, despite my flight being at 6pm on 12/2.... crazy math if you ask me). I'll call back shortly, as I'm not worried about the upgrade not clearing...
Call back and be politely insistent that the upgrade be cleared now manually, it can be done. At 11PM those NF4 seats might be taken up by 1Ps.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Slurve30
Does anybody know what happens to your existing itineraries when your status changes? I recently graduated from 1P and I am now inside the 100 hr mark for an upcoming flight on a 757 that is showing NF4, yet I am still "pending."

I just called the help line and they claimed that I was not yet inside the UDU window (according to the agent, my window opens up at 11pm tonight, despite my flight being at 6pm on 12/2.... crazy math if you ask me). I'll call back shortly, as I'm not worried about the upgrade not clearing.

But I'm wondering if all my existing reservations still think I'm 1P and if I'm going to have to tell the next poor agent I talk to, to re-apply my MP number to everything.
Yes, you probably need to call and have your MP number re-entered on all existing reservations. I had to do this when I went from 1P to 1K. FWIW, the 1K desk has tended to understand this issue much more than the 1P line did (when I went from 2P to 1P) and they should be able to help you out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.