FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   Frozen/Broken FIDS (Flight Information Display System) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/1153160-frozen-broken-fids-flight-information-display-system.html)

username Nov 26, 2010 11:29 am

Frozen/Broken FIDS (Flight Information Display System)

I wonder if UA has a process to fix broken FIDS quickly. Does it help if we report problems to the gate agents?

Last Sunday in SFO, I passed by a set of them after 8 PM, yet the time on the FIDS are about 2 PM (frozen). It makes me wonder how in a busy hub, this kind of thing can be left unreported/unfixed for extended period of time.

I was looking at another set down the concourse and the arrivals screen was not refreshing properly.

I have also observed FIDS a few months ago at IAD that are displayed all different directions (side ways, etc.).

How they can be left broken and unfixed in hub airports really makes me wonder. Do they test them thoroughly? Do they monitor them to make sure they work? Do they have a process of fixing them quickly?

Thanks.

SFOFastAir Nov 26, 2010 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by username (Post 15294564)
I wonder if UA has a process to fix broken FIDS quickly. Does it help if we report problems to the gate agents?

Yes and Yes

Originally Posted by username (Post 15294564)
Do they monitor them to make sure they work? Do they have a process of fixing them quickly? ?

No they are not monitored as the reliability is very high. About the only problem I've ever seen is a flight missing maybe every 6-12 months. The flat panels are thin clients and I've seen a system freeze twice in the 2 or so years since they were installed in the SFO lobby. We have a central help desk to report equipment failures. Repair of the old TV monitors often took quite a while because when they went out needed parts weren't readily available.

fastair Nov 26, 2010 8:02 pm

Same thing happened on same day at ORD. It was reported and fixed via the system support desk.

FriendlySkies Nov 26, 2010 9:10 pm

Except for an issue where a few mainline flights show as departing from the F2B gate area, I've not see any problems with the FIDS this year. There are certain times when the transitions between screens are very rough, but other than that, ^

username Nov 26, 2010 10:44 pm

So, from the UA airport employees' comments here, there is a process to fix this and all I need is to report to any employee?

The SFO employee seemed to know what to do. When this happned at IAD, I did not report it - it was so obvious that it was broken.