Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

The 2011 “Who, When, Where, What and How” thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2011 “Who, When, Where, What and How” thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2010, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Post The 2011 “Who, When, Where, What and How” thread

Here is the fifth annual “Who, When, Where, What and How” thread. If you are new to FT, here is the drill:

We have been having this thread for the last four years for FTers on United Forum to share travel stories on how status were obtained during the year, what are the flying patterns, why we travel, where we flown to, etc. It is also a place for newcomer to introduce themselves in the Forum, and old timers to share their travel pattern in the past 12 months. Most important of all, tell us about your travel projection for the upcoming 2011 year.

Lot’s of interesting events happened in 2010 that may have impacted our flying with United:
  • Lack of systemwide Double EQM Promotions / Triple EQM Promotions (as compared to the past 4 years)
  • New 2010 EliteChoice Bonus - e.g. First 50 250K BIS flyers get 50K RDM and 1K nomination
  • Merger between United and Continental
  • Economy continues to be weak and showed some signs of rebound
  • United cutting capacity and raising fares
  • Recently announced combining M+ and Onepass benefits

The links to the 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 threads are listed below. It is interesting to go back and reflect on what had changed in our travel patterns over the past 4 years.

The 2010 “Who, When, Where, What and How” thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ferrerid=19989

Here we go:

Who: What do you do when you are not on FT? Anything you want to tell FTers about you.
When: When will (did) you make your desired 2011 status?
How: This is a broad category. Include any information on whether you travel for work, personal reasons, MRs, double/triple EQM, M+ Visa EQMs, UA flying, *A flying, $$$ spent to achieve status, how your travel pattern has changed in 2010 from previous years.
Where: Places you have been this year (on your way to your 2011 status).
Why:Why is achieving status/accumulating miles important (or not important) to you? Why do you do Mileage Runs, etc.?
What: What’s your plan to achieve 2012 status, and where will you go? What will be changed in 2011 versus 2010.

Happy Holidays and Safe Travel Everyone!!

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Nov 18, 2010 at 11:19 am
Old Nov 18, 2010, 5:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Who: Attorney for the US federal government. In my spare time, when I'm not on FT, I fantasize about retiring, and volunteering with the ACLU, focusing on dismantling the TSA.
When: Made my usual Premier Executive status in October. Sadly, no 1K next year.
How: Two thirds of my flying is work related. Last year, because of an odd confluence of events, I had more work-related travel than usual, so when I realized I was in striking distance of 1K, I did a December MR. It was a gas. Most of my flying is on UA metal out of IAD, some (15K) on AA out of DCA. Given the dire straits of the federal budget, I see less travel in 2011 than in 2010, but I will keep 1P, no matter what.
Where: FRA, AMS, BRU, CPH, CDG, SJM, STT, PDX, SFO, LAX, SAN, DEN, ELP, MEX, YOW.
Why: E+, upgrades and the 1K baggage desk. As a PE, I've been pretty successful at getting upgrades, and as a 1K, I'm batting .995. Life is too short to sit in Y.
What: Given the state of the federal budget, 1K is a fantasy for 2012, but I will achieve 1P - I've averaged 75,000 miles a year on UA for the past 9 years, and I don't see this changing.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 8:55 am

Who: Undergraduate Student graduating in May 2011 studying International Studies & Business Administration, in my free time I do Non-Profit Management Consulting and when I'm not on FT I am either flying, wine-tasting, visiting Chateaus, or doing homework.

When: I re-qualified for CO Silver in January after a trip to India in Full Fare Y, CO Gold in April, and CO Platinum in June after my 2 week Europe Trip. My Target for 2011 was to be a CO 1K and I hit that in October after going to FRA on the excellent SN Fare.

How: Approximately 35% of my flying is consulting-related or within the realms of Non-Profit world including travel for conference presentations. Other than that I love to travel and see the world. I'm also a DL Plat and flew a helluva lot this year.

Where:
Domestic:

International:

Why: Lounge Access, Complimentary Upgrades, E+ on UA, Life is too Grand to be sitting in Tourist Class all the time, and coveted DYKWIA hokes.

What: Already have 138k planned/booked for 2012, Status won't be a problem.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 8:57 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Who: I work for Ford here in Durham, NC running the rental department at one of their dealerships. I'm also going through the process to become a Durham City Police Officer and helping out my family when I can as they're having a rough year (as many do)

When: Still not sure about that. I'm at 46 EQS and not sure if I'll make it to 1P. But as I haven't done well with east coast upgrades and I seem to end up on US or CO (mainly RJs/Q400s) out of RDU, it doesn't seem to matter as much.

How: I experienced a large shift in my flying this year when Delta kept being the cheapest and most convenient option for me. I started the year in Phoenix, spent four months in Las Vegas, then back to Phoenix and now to North Carolina and even on LAS-PHX trips, Delta would beat UA/US. I ended up requalifying for Silver on them by June. At my last position I was an Outside Salesman and did some traveling (got trips to Phoenix, Los Angeles, Boston before being laid off). Other than that I commuted between Las Vegas and Phoenix while in a long distance relationship, then took a trip to Europe. I don't do mileage runs and haven't for years and still won't, even if it means dropping to 2P.

Where: On Star Alliance I took regular trips between LAS and PHX, a couple over to Los Angeles, a few to San Francisco, a new Star carrier in TAP (BCN-LIS-BCN), thoguh I earned no miles on them due to UA's fare policy, two trips between North Carolina and California and one US five segment jaunt between RDU and New York.

Why: As I mentioned above, I don't do mileage runs. However, I love to travel and to fly and to be in airports. Therefore, I want the experience to be pleasant. Flying is infinitely better with status and I like to keep at least the minimum level on my preferred carriers so I can fully enjoy the experience.

What: My life has changed so much in the last year. I've moved three times, I've changed jobs, I moved in with a girlfriend for my first time ever and we broke up, I'm far closer with my family, friends I thought would be my closest aren't and ones I thought wouldn't be are so I have no idea where next year will take me. However, I'm positive it's going to be a really good year, wherever I go, whatever I do.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 11:50 am

Programs: UA GS
Who: Attorney for medical device company, based in DEN.
When: Made 1P for 2010 thanks to DEQM at the end of last year and a well-timed DEN-SYD-SIN-NRT-SEA-DEN circle trip for business in December, plus a few late fall trips to IAD and Saginaw for friends/family. I am at 44k miles so far this year and will be cashing in Elite Choice miles plus a short MR to SFO (which, in a spouse-pleasing maneuver, will be more or less free thanks to a $250 certificate leftover from a nightmare trip DEN-DCA in August) to get 1P for 2011.
How: I make most of my miles on TPAC or TATL flights, doing a few long trips a year, plus a smattering of trips to the east and west coasts. Business travel for the long trips, mix of business and family for the short ones.
Where: Travel this year was worldwide -- Shanghai, Belfast, Washington DC, Saginaw, Chicago (several times), Hartford, plus a trip to ABQ.
Why: Flying sucks but getting status is a big help in making it suck less (note, it still does suck). Free economy plus, and also the free domestic upgrades. International upgrades are much harder to come by even with copay plus miles. The Asia flights rarely net me an upgrade (although I did score one to SYD in late 2009 at the instant I was boarding and resigned to 14 hours in E+, as well as a last second upgrade NRT-SEA). I'm 6'6", so E- on anything longer than 3 hours is torture. Lounge access is nice but obviously only available for international travel as *G (I can't justify paying for RCC and my company won't reimburse me for it), and given the long layovers it's a nice perk. Domestically I usually time my trips with short layovers so by the time I'm deplaning the first flight I've only got 10-20 minutes before boarding the next flight -- and I love to board as early as possible, so the lunge winds up being useless. Plus after sitting in a seat for 2-4 hours, I really lke to walk around for an hour or so. Most airports have free WiFi (and if they don't I use a service called iPass that gets me in free (to me) anyway), so lounge access for WiFi isn't really relevant for me.
What: I will probably hit 1P for 2012, with a trip to Cambodia already in the works and 2-3 more trips to various APAC countries likely, plus some domestic travel and possibly an international vacation with the family. I am praying for some upgrades on those international flights but E+ will save me from the Geneva-Convention-violating cramped space of E- on TPAC flights. And worst comes to worst, I can fly Asiana to Cambodia through LAX and ICN, as they have E+ like seat pitch in international coach. Regrettably, my company requires us to book lowest available fares and not refundable, and as I am not a VP I don't get to fly business class internationally, so upgrades on these long trips are hard to come by especially on the high demand routes like SFO-HKK, and upgrades are impossible on foreign carriers because of the requirement that I buy cheapest available.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA-GS, AA-EXP
Who: Business owner and property developer.

When: GS maybe mid 2010, AA EXP about the same time.

Where: Oh dear...mostly..NRT, LHR, PVG, TPE, HGK, BKK, CDG, FCO, ORD, SFO, SIN.

How: Mostly business travel but occasionally drag the old ball and chain along.

Why: UA offers an extremely good route network and connections. The GS service is very good when I'm in a pinch.

What: Probably a little more travel next year than this as things in China are picking up a little right now.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Who: I am in management within the technology industry

When: I live in PHX, and came over from US when US changed their program in 2008. I made Premier Executive on a status match for the end of 2008, made 1K in 2009 for 2010, and recently re-qualified for 1K in 2010 for 2011.

Where: PHX to SFO mostly since my company is headquartered in SFO. I also make about six international trips a year to HKG / SIN / LHR / CDG.

How: In addition to the above, I make 1-2 personal international trips per year.

Why: I used to be AA EXP, but switched to US when I moved to PHX since AA doesn't have any westbound routes from PHX. The US program is horrible, international upgrades are tough to get, their planes are filthy and their staff is worse than going to the DMV. UA actually has some decent options out of PHX and with the CO merger I can now get to LAX / SFO / IAD / DEN / EWR / HOU / ORD directly (assuming they don't drop any routes). I am a paid RCC member as well.

What: I am not sure if I will hit 1K next year. I fly around 1-2 RTs per month to SFO, but that is only 1300 miles RT, so I really need to hit 6+ International trips per year in order to hit 1K.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
This thread has not received a lot of interest this year as past 4 years. Low participation has not been expected. I guess with the several recent threads such as "2010 Status Roll-call", "Will you make 1K in 2011?", etc, this thread loses its year-end summary status.

That is fine. Member population profile changes and real time threads seem to be the way to go. This year-end reflection thread probably won't return ( at least to be started by me) unless there are more participations.

Safe travel everyone during the holiday seasons, and stay warm!
Old Dec 15, 2010, 8:17 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Who: Rowing coach, and long distance boyfriend.

When: October 1st 2010 IAD-CLT

How: All EQS. I added segments to recruiting trips and paid a lot of visits to the girlfriend.

Where: CLT ever few weeks (through a myriad of places), and SEA twice.

Why: I have two TATLS planed for 2011 and wanted *G.

What: I have already done the math on 2011 and doubt I will clear 60 EQS with out a run or two so it looks like I am going back to the silver mines.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 9:48 am

Who: biologist for the USDA

When: 1P coming back from a cheap weekend trip to Las Vegas

How: segments--by EQM I don't even have 2P

Where: mostly back and forth between SMF and CLD/SAN for work. UA has the contract even though there's no SMF-SAN flight, so I spend too much time at LAX and SFO. Still better than the cattle car. Personal travel is always AS if they go where I'm going, which they generally don't from SMF. It was better when I worked at SEA

Why: E+ and upgrades when not on E120s and CRJs. Mileage bonus and minimum add up too, especially when you're on 90-mile flights often.

What: Project in SD is over, so probably not going to make 1P for 2012 unless something else happens down there. I'll probably hit AS MVP thanks to a couple cheap long-distance trips.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 9:56 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, United 1K, Emerald Club Elite Exec
Who: Healthcare IT consultant Living in Denver working in San Jose

When: 12/10 Made 1p finally

How: Just started flying May of this year for work and was trying to find airline I liked. Was with frontier for 20k miles then they pulled out of SJC (.......s) so been with united and trying to get status ever sence.

Where: Main route is DEN to SJC or SFO depending on what I feel like that week. Have done a few SFO to IAD trips just to get back east for a bit.
(I'm a regular on Sunday & Monday UA723 anyone else?)

Why:Love my exit rows and e+

What: Hopefully I still have my job and fly each week. Right now UA is only thing I'm not max status on over 120 car rental days and over 160 nights in a Hilton so far this year
Old Dec 15, 2010, 11:22 am

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Who: Marketing and loyalty guy--at the moment, anyway. Been through a few careers and probably best described as an expert generalist
When: Sometime around September.
How: I was pretty seriously frontloaded this year...a relocation (in paid J) combined with spouse living on a different continent for three months took care of the majority of the miles, and I limped home, albeit in September, with what I had planned to be "just enough" for 1K. I don't have any company paid travel, as a general rule, so this year was an exception to my normal travel patterns. But I've also moved closer to the family so I no longer have 4-6 transpacs a year as a default level of flying...
Where: HKG, IST, SIN...a few random US trips...nothing really unusual this year
Why:SWUs, E+, and the change fee waivers on award tickets. On any given day, I can't decide which is the most important, but they've all become indispensable over the last 5 years of 1K-ness. I do not look forward to resuming 1P-ness
What: I have named 2011 my 'year of free/cheap travel.' I'm going to try booking lowest available under all circumstances; last year for the first time I kept track of spend for requalification in my spreadsheet, and I'll see just how happy (or unhappy) I am with a strict lowest-cost approach. I think this is the right year to do it, with all the changes to UA coming down the pipe. If I'm miserable, I'm planning 100K of mileage runs in Jan/Feb 2012 to get back to the promised land, theory being that it will still cost me less and gain me more than scrapping and striving during 2011 when I'm likely to have a huge gap to make up. Of course, always subject to change: job change, life circumstance change, program change. Who knows really?
Old Dec 15, 2010, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA lowly 2P (after 29 Aug), PC Plat Amb, Hyatt Diamond
Who: "Independent academic consultant"; I help run different academic competitions at the high school and college level. Also, I'm going back to university to get my license to teach math and my gf is in ICT.

When: End of August, made 2P for first time.

How: Couldn't have done it without FlyerTalk. Learned about ITA and creative routings, then put the info to work. Did 17 segments in August to get me over the line before school started.

Where: Almost always ex-PIT. Been to CAK, EWR, CLE, LAS, ORD, DEN, SFO, SMF, IAH, MSY, IAD, CLT, CVG, BWI, LGA, HSV and, of course, ICT.

Why: E-effing-PLUS. UDU ex-PIT 100%, to PIT almost as good, even as 2P. Free bags.

What: Will be flying more in 2011, starting with ICT-IAH-ORD-CAK on 4 Jan. May do a few MR PIT-MKE as I see them on MR Discussion or through my own tinkering with ITA. Three national tournaments in ORD area, one in ATL and one in IAD that I'll be staffing should get me to 2P or thereabouts, so the goal is to drive for 1P in the summer while job hunting and/or preparing for relocation to ICT.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 12:28 pm

Programs: 1P, Avis Presidents Club, Marriott Gold Elite, RCC
Who: Executive with large insurance broker out of ORD. When not on FT, and the weather cooperates, play a lot of golf to a 7 hcp...

When: December 5th 1P again, still and most likely always. No long flights and all travel is booked lowest non ref fare.

How: Miles, all biz travel to PHL, MIA, DCA and LAX. Did a MR for 7,200 to re qual on Dec 4 and 5 then lost $ in Reno No real changes in travel, got to go see clients and staff.

Where: Like above, my travel is pretty boring. PHL, MIA, DCA and LAX and then my annual SXM for R&R is always nice Buy my SXM on MP Visa and pay off with miles.

Why: I enjoy the priority boarding and the very rare UDU bump. Since I never check bags, it is important to me to get my roller onboard. I also like the E+ seating, except when I jump to an earlier, 25B Den to ORD two weeks ago was brutal. MR's help me attain that. This year had to do an MR due to no travel for two months while wife and I healed from a MC wreck

What: Business is picking up so I plan on working towards the new 1P + at 75,000. Not that it will get me more UG's (See where I fly above) but just to do it.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Who: Head of IT department for Denver company

When: Made 1P in May, but earned enough e-certs to hit 1K on 9/26

How: About 90% of my travel is for leisure, with an occasional business trip thrown in. Since I can remote into our network, I don't need to be in an office. Started as 3P last October, 2P last November, and then was worrying about the ways to hit 1P by December. UA had a $72 mistake fare for DEN-SFO-ORD-TVC-ORD-SFO-DEN in May, a TWARE for SYD in May, and another 10K mile run from DEN via BOS/IAD/ORD/SFO.. Over the summer, I was still trying to think of ways to come up with another 50K. p.s. flights seemed reasonable with an e-cert, so I did MCI-ORD-SFO-JFK-SFO-ORD-DEN-MCI in September, as well as two SFO-TPA runs, and a trip to ANC. After the final trip to TPA, I made 1K. I also went back to SYD in October, and then did a weekend trip to LHR in November. I was close enough to 150K, so I went to HNL for the weekend with two other FTers, and hosted my first Do! I thought about redeeming some choices miles, as I was 1600 miles short of 150K. I'll be doing a quick turn to LAX in two weeks. Without FT, I would probably still be a 2P!

Where: I've been to DEN, MCI, ORD, IAD, BOS, MCO, TPA, SFO, SYD, LHR, PWM, RDU, TVC, JFK, ANC, MSY & LAX. - Ending year with 150,012 EQMs!

Why: The status is most helpful during irrops. I've also gotten to know the station manager @ MCI really well. I like that I can get free upgrades to F or C on domestic flights, and the STAR Gold status is going to be handy for more international trips next year..

What: Unless something drastic happens with UA next year, I'll work again for 1K. If $mi$ek does screw up UA even more, then I'll move over to AA, and work for EXP..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.