Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Join Us: 1K/GS Seeking to Move to AA and Have Executive Platinum Status Matched

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Join Us: 1K/GS Seeking to Move to AA and Have Executive Platinum Status Matched

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2010, 7:52 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Silver, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by WIRunner
Yes, no AA in ATW, but a mere 20 minutes north lies GRB, which has AA.

I was on schedule to hit 1k in 2011 based also solely on segments. Oddly also from the Fox Valley.
I live in OSH south approximately 30 minutes to ATW. GRB would take me 1 hour so I don't consider it an option.

Glad to see someone else from my neck of the woods on here.

Still I hope to see success from those looking to go to AA as it might have some impact in Chicago HQ.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 7:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5*, IHG RA, Hyatt Diamond, Amex Plat, SPG Gold
Another 1K would be in! Although that just means crediting CX flights to AA instead of SQ to UA for 2011
Old Nov 18, 2010, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Hey guys. As of now, we have 32 1K/GSs who are in plus however many StarAllianceFanatic is bringing.

Originally Posted by JSlo
And follow up question, how are you going to approach this? Will you call in or write? Or? try to find an angle with a high connection somewhere? I gotta believe somewhere/someone on this board knows a "AA somebody" no?
I will call, write, and try to find a higher up. If any of you might know someone at AA, please PM me.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 9:03 am

Programs: Newly minted AA EXP Plat., disatisfied UA 1K, Marriott Silver & Hilton Gold
Excellent! I'm extremely interested in giving AA a go. The 8 EXPs, and I didn't realize the MD-80's had so many first class seats and free wi-fi. Heck, E+ is great, but if I can be in first, who cares about the back of the bus. Make it standing room only for all I care.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by reddirt14
Excellent! I'm extremely interested in giving AA a go. The 8 EXPs, and I didn't realize the MD-80's had so many first class seats and free wi-fi.
To clarify, Wi-Fi is not free even in First. You purchase by the flight ($4.95 to $12.95) or monthly subscription. I pay $34.95 per month, good on AA, DL and any other Gogo equipped airline.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 9:14 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Good luck to those trying. ^

Although it's easy to think of yourselves as a small business by post-counting.. in AA's eyes, this is merely a random scattering of people with no connection to each other.

If you can organize successfully with proof of intent (how about each person booking $X in future AA travel?), I think the chance of succeeding will improve.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 18, 2010 at 12:23 pm Reason: response to deleted post
Old Nov 18, 2010, 9:17 am
Suspended

I remember when UL filed for bankruptcy I called AA and DL to see about moving over to them. IIRC both offered to match my status.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 9:32 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by david-alexis
No! Please AA don't bend the rule, no matching to EXP!
Even if 500 people make the switch to AA from this campaign, the impact on existing AA EXP ranks will be inconsequential. The acquisition of these potential high value customers will be far more beneficial to the financial stability of your preferred carrier.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 9:49 am

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by SFO777
You mean the same MD-80s with the quietest First Class cabin in the domestic skies? The ones that have not just 8 First seats (A319), not just 12 seats (A320) but 16 First seats? And Wi-Fi? Those MD-80s?
I think it's the same MD-80s for which AA received a $24 million fine from the FAA for failing to meet an airworthiness directive:

http://www.airlinesanddestinations.c...est-ever-fine/

Biggest FAA fine ever!
Old Nov 18, 2010, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by vandalby
I think it's the same MD-80s for which AA received a $24 million fine from the FAA for failing to meet an airworthiness directive:
Yep, the same one. I guess that's why they keep falling out of the sky.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 9:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
The AA route map is practically non-existant out of SFO, so we're captive to UA. We may well severely reduce our travel, but switching is just not an option.
As a 1K who flies the SFO-JFK route incessantly, AA is just as good as UA as far as that goes.

Also, the value of a soft landing cannot be overstated. My S.O. went from UA 1K (due to businsess travel) down to scrambling to keep 2P (due to a small child). With AA, that's just not a worry.

Giving up Australia and Asia in exchange for Central and South America is a wash.
Exchanging LH et al. for BA et al. is a wash

I'm in if this goes.
I can make the switch pretty easily.

+1

Last edited by bobbysfca; Nov 18, 2010 at 8:54 pm
Old Nov 18, 2010, 10:06 am

Programs: UA 1K/ DL Plat HH Diamond, Hertz PC
1K here as well who would be happy with a change. The only thing that would keep me from going to the dAArk side would be here in PIT most of the UA employees know me and help me out when I need it. You cannot put a price on that.....
Old Nov 18, 2010, 10:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Exec, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat Elite
Would be willing to join

+1 for the list. Will be interesting to see if the grass really is greener on the AA side of the fence.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cocaine
I live in OSH south approximately 30 minutes to ATW. GRB would take me 1 hour so I don't consider it an option.

Glad to see someone else from my neck of the woods on here.

Still I hope to see success from those looking to go to AA as it might have some impact in Chicago HQ.
I'm an hour from the 3 major airports in WI. Was flying out of MKE until the full body scanners went up. Switched to GRB simply because of better flight times from ORD. Otherwise my PWM flights would have to leave earlier.

Pretty much set on doing a status match to DL or a challenge on US.
I was definately a CO and UA loyalist, but there seems to be little reason to stay at this point.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 10:23 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Downunder girl
Does this mean we get lounge access in SYD when flying to the USA?
Yes, if you have elite status (AA Platinum or EXP, which are One World Emerald and Sapphire). As a One World Emerald, I get into the Qantas first class international lounge at SYD no matter what the fare class (photos linked below in the lounge gallery). You order your meal from a menu and there is a wine list. I think you'd enjoy it there. The problem, though, is that Qantas flights in discount economy accrue 50% AA miles. You can book the AA codeshare to get 100% miles, but traditionally that will cost more. Check this chart for accruing AA miles with Qantas flights:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/pa...tasAirways.jsp

I know there is some type of short term promo right now offering 100% miles on Qantas flight numbers, but don't think those are EQM.
http://www.aa.com/viewPromotionDetai...&_locale=en_US

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.