Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Any Recent Kuwait/Bahrain (KWI/BAH-IAD) Experiences?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any Recent Kuwait/Bahrain (KWI/BAH-IAD) Experiences?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2010, 11:02 am

Programs: Concorde Mach 2 -UAMM- First to Fly A380/B787/B747-8i/FlyingHonu
Question IAD-Bahrain - How are the flights?

I am curious to know if these flights get lots of passengers. I am thinking of E+

They are some of the longest flights about the same as TransPac LAX to Sydney maybe even longer.

How is the food, comfort, mid flight snacks, etc.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Old Dec 7, 2010, 12:03 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
They've been using an old 777 on IAD-KWI-BAH.. so E+ is fine, in seat video. If you manage to get a new 777 then of course there's on demand video for a fee.

I flew IAD-DXB in business class a few weeks ago and posted the menus in the Let's Eat! thread.. but that of course doesn't describe the economy menu. The business class menu said it was the same for IAD-KWI. You'll get dinner after take off, probably something light mid-flight (ie snacks in the galley), and another small meal service before landing. Ditto on the way back to IAD except it will be breakfast before landing.

Because of the late departures in both directions I found IAD-DXB-IAD to be some of my favorite long haul flights of all time.. I was able to sleep a lot both ways..didn't even take advantage of the mid flight snacks. And this was in the old recliner. The new seats on this route would be even more heavenly.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Does the crew overnight in KWI? or fly on to BAH before overnighting? Or do they do IAD-KWI, overnight, KWI-BAH-KWI, overnight, then KWI-IAD?
Old Dec 7, 2010, 1:26 pm

Smile

Thank you for your answers. I had no idea that the flights stopped in Kuwait.

E+ won't be so heavenly unless they allow me to upgrade with miles at the gate.

I suppose the back of the plane must get pretty full between IAD and Kuwait and on the way back so there is probably very little chance that I get a window seat with empty aisle seat.

i am going to the Formula 1 Grand Prix in March 2011 - already have a 3 days ticket - trying to maximize the number of EQM on the trip.

Old Dec 7, 2010, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LH M&M, AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Avis NotLast, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by CDG1

I suppose the back of the plane must get pretty full between IAD and Kuwait and on the way back so there is probably very little chance that I get a window seat with empty aisle seat.
)
In 3 of the past 4 times I've taken KWI - IAD, whole rows were open in Y. On the 4th trip it was completely full. C & F have been full every time. Your luck may vary.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 1:57 pm

Smile

I always thought that a whole row in Y was better than a Business seat only that they are becoming more and more rare and they quickly get taken over - most times by non-elite flyers.

Old Dec 7, 2010, 2:39 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
You can upgrade any paid fare with miles now..don't have to wait til the gate. There is a copay as well however (whether at the gate or in advance).
Old Dec 7, 2010, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
If you search for 'KWI' there are several recent threads describing the current situation on this route. The jump from KWI to BAH is around an hour (plus the layover in KWI that is a few hours) if I remember right so all the KWI flight info will be relevant for you.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 3:23 am

Smile

Originally Posted by rmmcdaniel
If you search for 'KWI' there are several recent threads describing the current situation on this route. The jump from KWI to BAH is around an hour (plus the layover in KWI that is a few hours) if I remember right so all the KWI flight info will be relevant for you.
Does KWI have a decent Star Alliance lounge? Is it worthwile to leave airside and get my passport stamped or would it require a visa just to go in and out (with my boarding pass as a proof)?

Anything interesting to see in Kuwait airport?

Old Dec 8, 2010, 4:07 am

For those of us in Eastern part of Saudi Arabia or Bahrain, the BAH-KWI-IAD flight has been great. It leaves BAH much earlier then the competition (9:50 PM) and arrives in IAD by 6:30 AM. A great way to get home quickly. In flight service, food and entertainment is not up to the other carriers that service BAH, but the ability to get home by morning (and skip Europe) and E+ and Mileage Plus make up for it. KWI has a decent lounge, but no adult beverages. The layover isn't long enough to leave the airport. The flight is running more full with the holidays, and the price has been creeping up. We are very grateful that UA now services BAH and look forward to the upgraded 777.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 4:57 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Does KWI have a decent Star Alliance lounge? Is it worthwile to leave airside and get my passport stamped or would it require a visa just to go in and out (with my boarding pass as a proof)?

Anything interesting to see in Kuwait airport?

Like I said, search is your friend. I posted a long entry on KWI in this thread...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...periences.html

And here is another with more info on *A lounge...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...d-kwi-bah.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.