Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

2011 Mileage Plus and OnePass elite program developments

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2011 Mileage Plus and OnePass elite program developments

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2010, 8:49 am

Programs: UA 1k
bye bye UA

Lurker, but I had to open an account to post my disappointment.
I make 1k each year by 100eqs, but I'm always between 100 and 120. Without assurance of DEQS 2011 I'm going elsewhere. I feel like I fly a lot... 100 segments is a lot of time in and out of airports, and a big cost, and I deserve 1k status. I've been very loyal to UA until now, 90%+ of my flights are UA
What airlines / programs should I look into for 2011?
Old Nov 16, 2010, 8:49 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
There is at least ONE positive aspect, in my view.

Qualification for 1K is remaining at 100,000 EQM's, rather than being dropped to CO's 75,000 for highest tier.

Aloha
Old Nov 16, 2010, 8:52 am

Programs: UA 1K
Like every other 1K flyer I do not like the changes. But rather than moan here we need a concerted effort to let our displeasure be known via United's "official" channels:

http://www.facebook.com/unitedairlines

http://twitter.com/unitedairlines

And of course 1KVoice...

I was afraid prior to the announement that CR1s were on the chopping block, at least they still kept it. Judging by the amount of SWUs being traded or "sold" this past year, United probably took note of the abundance of upgrade instruments not being used for the intended purpose. So 1Ks, it looks like you are now being kinda forced to use SWUs as CR1s.
DJZ

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, former UA 1K, SPG AMEX addict
Originally Posted by as219
AA is starting to look a lot better for NYC-based folks:

* now the upgrades are the same at the 100K EQM level: 8 eVIPs = 2 CR-1s + 6 SWUs
* but EXP gets UDU on ex-JFK transcons...so you don't have to burn eVIPs
* 100 EQS to qualify vs. now 120 EQS on UACO

I'm starting to think I can live with the wedgie seats...
This is definitely what I'm looking at. And here I was annoyed that a job change might force me to go dAArk--now I'm looking forward to the opportunity. Additionally, the eVIPs are a lot more flexible than SWUs for international flights as they work for all fare classes. Smooth one, UA/CO...
(also, I imagine some california flyers are going to be displeased that their confirmed Hawaii upgrades are going to be harder to come by without a co-pay or burning SWUs...)

Also, yeah, way to send out an email first United...

Last edited by DJZ; Nov 16, 2010 at 8:55 am Reason: add'l comment
Old Nov 16, 2010, 8:53 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Worst thing in all of this is the SWU being deposited when you hit 1K. So when you hit 100,000 EQM, you get 6 SWU and 2 CR-1s right then. I'd prefer the SWU to still post at the start of the year.

Programs: UA GS/1K, SPG Platinum
Even worse

As a 1K who flies pretty evenly throughout the year, I receive 2 CR1s per quarter now.

It looks like now we won't receive our next 'refresh' of regionals until we hit 75k next year -- so I will be 3 quarters without any addition CR1's. OUCH.

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jumpingenes
-no SWU use on fares below W
This would have been an easy bone to throw us. It would have shown good faith in combining the BEST of both programs. Instead, they gave 1K's the finger. Nice job.

Originally Posted by clublounger
There is at least ONE positive aspect, in my view.

Qualification for 1K is remaining at 100,000 EQM's, rather than being dropped to CO's 75,000 for highest tier.

Aloha
Or that it moved up to 125k a la Delta.

It's sad that we need to be excited about something just staying the same. I'm not saying I don't agree with you, but it's still pathetic.

Last edited by hobo13; Nov 16, 2010 at 9:08 am Reason: merge
Old Nov 16, 2010, 8:54 am

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Hmbrglar
I disagree with this...I might have 80EQS but only 45KEQM but you have 20EQS and 80K EQM why should you get the upgrade over me?
Wasn't commenting on the EQS vs EQM valuation. Just the fact that accruing 75K EQMs gives an additional benefit.

For those elites like you who are EQS heavy, perhaps the 1P+ enhanced UG priority should be awarded based on 90 EQS vs the 6 EQS needed for 1P.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 8:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by DJZ
(also, I imagine some california flyers are going to be displeased that their confirmed Hawaii upgrades are going to be harder to come by without a co-pay or burning SWUs...)
i don't follow? how so? udu still applies? cr1's can still be used? hawaii flights from cali are so easy to upgrade i don't know why anyone would burn a swu. my 2p friends always clear those routes on udu

surprised there is less than 20 comments on UA facebook page.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 16, 2010 at 9:10 am Reason: merge

Programs: UA:MM 1K HH:Diamond IHG:Plat Marriott:Plat
I am looking at ending the year with 90K EQMs. With these rules it is unclear whether having 1K status will mean anything going forward

Programs: United GS MM, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by hoohoo
Lurker, but I had to open an account to post my disappointment.
I make 1k each year by 100eqs, but I'm always between 100 and 120. Without assurance of DEQS 2011 I'm going elsewhere. I feel like I fly a lot... 100 segments is a lot of time in and out of airports, and a big cost, and I deserve 1k status. I've been very loyal to UA until now, 90%+ of my flights are UA
What airlines / programs should I look into for 2011?
If you're in a market where AA has a decent presence, I'd suggest taking a hard look at them. This recent change just made AA look more appealing to me as a 1K, and given that ORD is my home base, it would be awfully easy to switch all of my business and personal spend over to AA. Right now the only thing keeping me with UA is E+. If that goes away, all of my years of loyalty to UA is gone.

Since UDU, the value of CR-1s have gone down for me somewhat. But if I lived in NYC, they would be still very valuable. So perhaps the new UA is not that interested in NYC folks with the new change just announced.

I will see what other changes they introduce before making my mind to just drop my allegiance, but I recently flew WN and honestly I prefer to have internet even on a short flight rather than ability to sit in a wider seat and get cheap alcohol.

And no Mr Smisek, we don't like what we see so far
Old Nov 16, 2010, 8:57 am

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
As someone who qualifies via EQS, this is extremely disappointing. I can do 100 EQS/yr, but 120/yr is just too much.

I need to figure out if I want to bother re-qualifying for 1K this year or if I should just forget the whole thing now. I think it is highly unlikely that I would bother to do 120 EQS next year.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by iwc
What about the CR-1's for being a million-miler?
There is no mention of them, but if I were a betting man, I'd say they're toast.

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.