Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Mileage run Misery or how A 1k Ended up in 34E on a 757

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2010, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Silver

Hi all,

I want everyone to know,this reminds me of how thankful I am for E+ and when I can get them UDUs, regionals and SWUs... and Im not mad, and Im not looking for compensation, but this is a cautionary tale for my fellow flyertalkers.

doing a couple of holiday weekend mileage runs....

First one was wed night RIC - IAD - LAX
return on thurs moring LAX - ORD - RIC

Got to Dulles - #2 on the upgrade list - first checked in full - they were looking for volunteers - $400 in TCs - hotel room (lansdowne resort) - out on the first flight in morning -

Didnt realize it but they put me in 34E.... which is the middle in the last row so very limited to recline it any

Thursday Morning

Get to gate #2 on the upgrade list - FC checked in full - taking volunteers - spoke with agent - we talk about my volunteering last night, doesnt seem happy that I am volunteering again - then misunderstanding on both our parts - him not realizing that I needed to change my returns - hands me off to another agent... She wont do the changes (even thought I have the flight #s)- hands me back to him - of course he's not happy - they continue to process other volunteers... which of course means they have seats other than 34E - but there I am booked and there I will stay. Spend 2+ hours standing in the galley conversing with other passengers

Get to LAX - 11 AM - next flight leaves at noon - and we sit, and wait, and sit and wait - 15 minutes for a jet bridge operator. Now remember Im in the back of the plane - so I get to the gate two minutes before boarding... #1 on the upgrade list - FC checks in Full - so at least im in 10D - and my neighbors take out some kind of moisturizing cream and it stinks - so 10 minutes of nose scrunching later it finally dissipates... they start the video entertainment and they are showing the westbound package even though they are going eastbound ;(

Get to Chicago... go to gate... look at screen... not on upgrade list anywhere.... no agent at gate... call 1K line... they cant put me on? agent put me on hold, talks to supervisor, they review record... agent says supervisor says he cant believe they put a 1K in 34 E on outbound... but they cant force it, so I have to see gate agent. GA shows up... ask her to put me on list - go to #1 - 1 seat remains - get upgrade .

And now for round two... any ideas what to do in LAX between 1 AM and 6AM?

Doomed to Coach
Old Nov 12, 2010, 7:30 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by Doomed to Coach
Didnt realize it but they put me in 34E.... which is the middle in the last row so very limited to recline it any

Doomed to Coach
How could you not have realized they put you in 34E?! Didn't you have all night to look at your BP? I would have been online at my hotel frequently looking for a better seat!

And for round 2... get a hotel.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 7:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
IMhO, thats part of the trade off for the VDB (going from "choice" seats that were selected months ago, to the mercy of the agent).
Old Nov 12, 2010, 7:43 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
How could you not have realized they put you in 34E?! Didn't you have all night to look at your BP? I would have been online at my hotel frequently looking for a better seat!
+1

If my BP says "Y" and the seat row is a non-exit row with double digits, I call foul.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Silver
Seat

Originally Posted by as219
+1

If my BP says "Y" and the seat row is a non-exit row with double digits, I call foul.
You guys are right and I will be more careful in the future! just reminding everyone what can happen.

Doomed to Coach

PS -all 4 of my flights are upgraded on MR2
Old Nov 12, 2010, 9:10 am

Programs: MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Pinks Hot Dogs doesn't close until 3:00AM on Fri/Sat, but 2:00AM on weeknights.

Well worth it in my book!
Old Nov 12, 2010, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
ouch. Next time, I'd make sure you have a good seat before leaving the airport. I can't imagine what it would be like to sit in 34E for four hours
Old Nov 12, 2010, 10:09 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
You guys are right and I will be more careful in the future! just reminding everyone what can happen.

Doomed to Coach

PS -all 4 of my flights are upgraded on MR2
No need to lecture you anymore since you admitted your sin.

This is indeed why I always monitor my seating frequently.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 10:59 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
OP-
Unfortunate/unlucky choice of FT handle?
Old Nov 12, 2010, 11:18 am

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I can't imagine what it would be like to sit in 34E for four hours
I'd be thinking about all the things I could do with the $400 voucher received as compensation, and the time would surely fly by quickly.

Besides, it seems OP was going to spend a night in the terminal, but ended up in lansdowne resort instead. Sounds like a pretty good trade-off to me.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 11:50 am
Original Member

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Yeah, middle seat in E- sucks but the suckage is helped by the $400 cert. Overall I would be satisfied since once the middle seat flight is over, it is over.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Sometimes at IAD when agents process volunteers, they don't subsequently check you in for your flight.

It's very important to check in ASAP as soon as you're rebooked because as the night fills up with other rebooked VDBs, they will take all of the good seats, leaving you picking up a 34E boarding pass an hour or two later at the nearly abandoned Sunday-night IAD United counter, after you've taken a taxi to the Reston Target to pick up some clean clothes and are ready to wait for the Lansdowne shuttle.

(I was just in the OP's boat two weeks ago.)
Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA MM /Gold ; AS MVP Gold; SWA A LIst and CP; HH Gold; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Plat Elite
Another back up plan to keep in mind (when one gets VDB at IAD and has to stay overnight) is to ask the GA to rebook on the 2nd or 3rd flight of the next morning rather than the 1st flight. Sorry to hear your MR was a little rough. I'd keep thinking of the $400 gained for the pain you went thru!
Old Nov 12, 2010, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA .75K, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
also, the 50% bonus EQMs on the Y-class rebook is a nice balm for your inconvenience!
Old Nov 12, 2010, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, some other stuff
In-n-Out. Think it's open to 1:30am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.