Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Lufthansa Upgrade With UA SWU Questions/Experiences" Thread [2010/11]

Consolidated "Lufthansa Upgrade With UA SWU Questions/Experiences" Thread [2010/11]

Old May 2, 2011, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Ticket counter is enough, no need to go airside.
To all: the LAX upgrade experience was successful. A couple of points to note:

1. The street-side check-in counter opened about 3 hrs 55 min prior to the 1st flight of the day, and there was a line by that time, although there were only 3-4 pax in the C and F lines.

2. None of the agents looked like they hailed from Germany but each was quite competent, and would not be considered hired guns that don't know the workings of LH upgrades, as is found in other airports/countries.

3. Despite there only being 8 of 16 seats usable in the upper deck of a non-reconfigured LH 747, I was able to get an upgrade to F with a paper cert, on a D fare. Given the line that eventually formed behind me by the time I left the check-in counter, I am not sure if I had waited to arrive my usual 1 hour before departure, that I would have been upgraded. (Having nobody next to you in F by the way is quite cool; you essentially can have a seat and a separate bed if you like)

Thank you all for your advice!
Old May 4, 2011, 1:03 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
I was reading through this thread earlier and noticed that one of the posters experienced some problems while trying to upgrade from LHR (for his/her FRA-LAX - itinerary was LHR-FRA-LAX) due to contract agents.

My sister (2P) will be flying LHR-FRA-YVR in a couple of weeks and she has 1.5 hours layover in FRA - should she request for the upgrade at LHR or FRA? Thanks!
Old May 4, 2011, 4:36 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by nov11
My sister (2P) will be flying LHR-FRA-YVR in a couple of weeks and she has 1.5 hours layover in FRA - should she request for the upgrade at LHR or FRA? Thanks!
FRA is fine... an attempt in LHR won't hurt, but you shouldn't have high hopes.
Old May 4, 2011, 10:11 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Any experience on the HKG-FRA-JNB route? I'm holding a C fare, and hoping to get into F...esp on the second segment since it's overnight and on the A380!
Old May 12, 2011, 7:16 am

Apparently, L has been added to the not eligible fares. Just got a LH paper voucher which already indicates the change. Also saw updates on the website:
The following Lufthansa tickets are not eligible for a Systemwide Upgrade:

Tickets in booking codes X, I, R, N, W, S, L, and E

Tickets in booking code L and T for intra-Europe flights
http://www.united.com/page/article/1,,53477,00.html

Although it seemed the MP agents were not informed of the change yet, they told me I could still use it on my upcoming L fare LH flights next week. However it says clearly on the voucher that L is not valid, we will see how it goes.

Last edited by zapyiu; May 12, 2011 at 7:39 am
Old May 12, 2011, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K: since 2010
A UA ticket with a LH flight # that is really UA metal. Can I upgrade using a SWU?

I am trying to book a rather complicated multi-city trip that includes 8 segments and three continents. I've given up trying to find that itinerary using .bomb. Web Support was useless, quoting me a fare of more than $6,000. Kayak.com couldn't put together all of the segments that I needed. However, I finally found what I was looking for at Vayama.com.

The entire ticket is labeled as being purchased from UA with all segments of the proposed ticket are in "V" Fare Code. "V" is OK for upgrading from economy to business, correct?

The flight from IAD-BRU is on UA 950 (UA metal) and is listed as such in the ticket. So that should not be a problem to upgrade using a SWU (space-permitting, of course).

However, the return home (FRA-IAD) is listed as being flight LH*9050 (* Operated by United Airlines). That means that it is the UA 917 metal flight.

So, since it is a UA metal flight and the ticket is being purchased from UA will I be able to upgrade using my UA SWU (space permitting) even though the ticket lists a LH flight number? If not, might I be able to use a paper SWU? Or, must I keep digging to find a ticket that lists this as a UA flight 917 on the ticket?

Thanks!
Old May 12, 2011, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by zapyiu
...we will see how it goes.
I realize this is a long thread, but if you read it (and other threads), you will see that this issue has been discussed at length. You will not be upgraded from L class.

It's good to know that this is now printed on the SWU.
Old May 12, 2011, 2:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Baertracks
since it is a UA metal flight and the ticket is being purchased from UA will I be able to upgrade using my UA SWU (space permitting) even though the ticket lists a LH flight number?
Yes, but as a codeshare, it can only be upgraded on day of departure.
Old May 12, 2011, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Yes, but as a codeshare, it can only be upgraded on day of departure.
Thanks for the quick response. That's encouraging. I know that it may be difficult to get an upgrade for that particular price, but at least I know that they may be a chance.

May I also ask if the entire itinerary will automatically show up in my .bomb account since it is being listed as being a "UA ticket" purchase?
Old May 12, 2011, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Originally Posted by Baertracks
May I also ask if the entire itinerary will automatically show up in my .bomb account since it is being listed as being a "UA ticket" purchase?
My experience is that it will. In fact, I am looking at one of my rez, similar to yours, that is showing up on .bomb.
Old May 12, 2011, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by kevinsac
My experience is that it will. In fact, I am looking at one of my rez, similar to yours, that is showing up on .bomb.
Thanks!
Old Jun 9, 2011, 11:25 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Called up UA to get a SWU for LH. They will fedex me the paper cert and I should have it by monday.
hopefully Ill be able to use it for my DUS-ORD Z fare flight
Old Jun 9, 2011, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Confused about something. Looking to book a LH operated leg but it is a UA codeshare booking into code Q. Would this be an issue for using the upgrade? UA.com doesn't list UA booking codes, just LH ones.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 12:39 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
UA and LH codeshares are 1:1, so Q on UA will be Q in LH.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by oliver2002
UA and LH codeshares are 1:1, so Q on UA will be Q in LH.
Oh. I feel stupid since I'm pretty sure I knew that.

And the codeshare doesn't mess up the upgrade does it?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.