Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First CO experience- is this our future?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2011, 10:48 pm

Programs: DL DM
Thought i would contrast my prior fairly negative CO report with a more positive one. Recently flew CO89 EWR-PEK again due to the convenience of the routing over UA. Needless to say, had pretty low expectations.

Experience on the ground was consistently inferior to UA. Given that EWR is supposedly their intl hub, or one of, it's pretty unimpressive compared to ORD where I typically fly out of. Check-in in a dark, dingy area with poor signage. As an elite, I really value 1. not having to wait and 2. never having to deal with the check-in computers. I was "helped" by an exasperated CO employee who was trying to check in 3 pax at the same time (literally) and whose idea of doing her job was steering everyone to the computers. This was in the CO elite area. Frankly I was surprised to even see the computers in this area. After finally checking me in no one seemed to be able to clearly explain the upgrade process. (Ultimately I was unable to upgrade, other than by forking over $6000 to rebook. Seatmap showed 9 empty seats up front but it seems CO does not do upgrades for cash at check-in. Better to fly empty seats, lose the extra revenue, and piss off elites, evidently...)

Elite security line was 15-20 mins, longer than I've ever spent at ORD even though it's much busier.

Lounge was ok, maybe a bit newer than the average UA lounge but also kind of hokey looking--it said "airport in New Jersey" more than "major international hub". Needless to say full of CO regs convinced of its superiority over UA.

Flight was the big surprise. Cabin was in better condition than any UA 777 I have seen (a/c prob somewhat newer for one thing). Seats were better padded, seemed to have more recline, and generally more comfortable. IFE screen was 2x the size of UA's and with AVOD to boot. Best of all, full AC power throughout the E cabin. As an elite, had no trouble getting a spacious exit row seat.

Flight left 70 minutes late (no explanation given) and, oddly, arrived in PEK 95 minutes late. Not an impressive first experience.

In fact, coming back from Asia in UA old C, CO Y still had a lot going for it--better IFE and still a lack of AC power in C on UA. Based on photos it seems a new UA 777 > CO 777 but I've yet to see one in Asia. My sense of C was new UA > CO >>>> old UA.

Last edited by nycr; Feb 24, 2011 at 10:55 pm
Old Feb 25, 2011, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
CO at EWR is a very different (e.g., much worse) airline than at IAH. Check-in area is dark, security line typically long, PClubs consistently packed. But the CO 777 does seem to be a nice experience in both C and Y (the latter if you can get an ELR seat).
Old Feb 25, 2011, 8:13 am

Programs: UA 1K
I've been on CO 777 in both Y (EWR-BOM) and J (IAH-LHR). I like the BF product a lot, and it's definitely comparable to new UA C, but my Y experience wasn't great. AVOD was nice, but I'm more of a reader than a watcher. The mid-flight meal was a bag with a wrap and a bottle of water handed out with dinner, and the FAs were unavailable for something like 6-7 hours in midflight. Add the under-padded CO seats and it made for a fairly uncomfortable flight.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
- not much in the way of drink refills/offers the final hour of the flight. 3 FAs just sitting down in the front cabin, continuing on with disinterested service.
That pretty much sums up 95% of the CO crew.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 9:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nycr
..and whose idea of doing her job was steering everyone to the computers. This was in the CO elite area. Frankly I was surprised to even see the computers in this area.
This is the same as UA.

After finally checking me in no one seemed to be able to clearly explain the upgrade process. (Ultimately I was unable to upgrade, other than by forking over $6000 to rebook. Seatmap showed 9 empty seats up front but it seems CO does not do upgrades for cash at check-in. Better to fly empty seats, lose the extra revenue, and piss off elites, evidently...)
This, too, is the same as UA.

Lounge was ok, maybe a bit newer than the average UA lounge but also kind of hokey looking--it said "airport in New Jersey" more than "major international hub". Needless to say full of CO regs convinced of its superiority over UA.
What was "hokey" about it and which of the two lounges did you use? IME the interior of the CO C2/3 lounge in EWR is markedly similar to that of the new ORD lounges.

Flight was the big surprise. Cabin was in better condition than any UA 777 I have seen (a/c prob somewhat newer for one thing). Seats were better padded, seemed to have more recline, and generally more comfortable. IFE screen was 2x the size of UA's and with AVOD to boot. Best of all, full AC power throughout the E cabin. As an elite, had no trouble getting a spacious exit row seat.
Impossible...you'll have a hard time convincing many here (self excluded) that the CO seat is anything but a torture chamber.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
This is the same as UA.
I haven't seen Mr. Easy's at the airports I've checked in at in elite lines on UA's side.

This, too, is the same as UA.
UA would have at least try to sell the seats for an upgrade. They wouldn't upgrade to C for free, but UA still would have taken several hundred bucks for the seat. If they didn't sell them and the upgrade list was already processed, THEN they'd go out with empty seats.

Impossible...you'll have a hard time convincing many here (self excluded) that the CO seat is anything but a torture chamber.
I didn't find the Y seat that bad. Granted, I was in an exit row, but I didn't find it any more or less comfortable than UA's seat. I'd definitely prefer E+ over a non-exit seat on CO though.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 9:27 am
In Memoriam

Programs: UA 1K, RCC; AA EXP; HH Diamond; CC Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
Count me in the camp in which I prefer COs Y seat vs. UAs. I guess it is all a matter of perspective, though. I've had 10 trips on CO this year and they've been pretty darn good. More of my thoughts on CO vs. UA domestically are here.

Overall, I've been very pleased with the onboard service on CO.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Needless to say full of CO regs convinced of its superiority over UA.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Superguy
I haven't seen Mr. Easy's at the airports I've checked in at in elite lines on UA's side.
JFK definitely does. I got to deal with them last week. LGA does, too.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UNITED863
Count me in the camp in which I prefer COs Y seat vs. UAs. I guess it is all a matter of perspective, though. I've had 10 trips on CO this year and they've been pretty darn good. More of my thoughts on CO vs. UA domestically are here.
Read your post - very well thought out. Will have to agree to disagree on the seat though - this is also a reflection of Airbus vs. Boeing on the narrowbodies. 1" seat width makes a difference (on Airbii), as does the wider aisle. I just can't get over how firm that CO seat is - I really noticed it on the seatback part, it was hard as a rock.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, Bonvoy LT Titanium, National EE
Originally Posted by Karter
I then called CO to query and heard "we're experiencing an unusually high volume of calls and are unable to take your call." No queue. I'm just supposed to call back sometime in the future.
Just experienced this myself. How lame. Anyone know if 1Ks have access to a non-general member line over at CO?
Old Feb 26, 2011, 10:05 am

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
Originally Posted by Viking547
Just experienced this myself. How lame. Anyone know if 1Ks have access to a non-general member line over at CO?
I called the 1K Desk a few weeks ago over a CO issue, and was given the general CO number.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Viking547
The 1K desk should be able to connect you to the elite line.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 10:26 am

Programs: UA 1K SPG Plat HHonors Diamond
I've gotten around 80% upgrades on CO this past month and hopefully it'll stay there.

Mostly PHX-IAH-PIT/PHL/EWR

The times I haven't cleared were to EWR. My flight from IAH to PHX....is 820 the last one out and usually F actually has seats open..last two times they upgraded random pax during boarding.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 12:48 pm

Programs: Fallen UA Premier Silver and one-time 1K, AA EXP, DL steerage
My first time (tee hee).

Just returned from an r/t LAX-IAH-PTY trip on CO. I'm a UA 1P, and I think my CO experience for this trip was generally comparable to my experience as a 1P. After booking my trip I called CO and was able to get exit row/bulkhead seats, which have good legroom (B737's).

The LAX-IAH red-eye was completely full. Every seat was taken and I didn't get much sleep. Was upgraded to BusinessFirst on the IAH-PTY route; the service and seat was comparable to 2-class, domestic F on UA. On the PTY-IAH return, according to the gate agent I was next in line for a UDU. But exit row and a meal (a nice surprise, even if it IS airline food) made for an easy 4-hour flight. Clearing security at IAH took ages. My final flight, IAH-LAX, was 30 minutes late leaving and very bumpy, but I can't fault CO for the latter part of that complaint.

Other thoughts: like Ted, CO doesn't give you the full can of soda when you order a drink. That said, beverage service is frequent so it wasn't really an issue. IAH is one truly mammoth airport. The PC's there are among the best stateside *G lounges.

Oh, one more thing: go to Panama! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.