First CO experience- is this our future?

Old Feb 25, 11, 9:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nycr View Post
..and whose idea of doing her job was steering everyone to the computers. This was in the CO elite area. Frankly I was surprised to even see the computers in this area.
This is the same as UA.

After finally checking me in no one seemed to be able to clearly explain the upgrade process. (Ultimately I was unable to upgrade, other than by forking over $6000 to rebook. Seatmap showed 9 empty seats up front but it seems CO does not do upgrades for cash at check-in. Better to fly empty seats, lose the extra revenue, and piss off elites, evidently...)
This, too, is the same as UA.

Lounge was ok, maybe a bit newer than the average UA lounge but also kind of hokey looking--it said "airport in New Jersey" more than "major international hub". Needless to say full of CO regs convinced of its superiority over UA.
What was "hokey" about it and which of the two lounges did you use? IME the interior of the CO C2/3 lounge in EWR is markedly similar to that of the new ORD lounges.

Flight was the big surprise. Cabin was in better condition than any UA 777 I have seen (a/c prob somewhat newer for one thing). Seats were better padded, seemed to have more recline, and generally more comfortable. IFE screen was 2x the size of UA's and with AVOD to boot. Best of all, full AC power throughout the E cabin. As an elite, had no trouble getting a spacious exit row seat.
Impossible...you'll have a hard time convincing many here (self excluded) that the CO seat is anything but a torture chamber.
Old Feb 25, 11, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
This is the same as UA.
I haven't seen Mr. Easy's at the airports I've checked in at in elite lines on UA's side.

This, too, is the same as UA.
UA would have at least try to sell the seats for an upgrade. They wouldn't upgrade to C for free, but UA still would have taken several hundred bucks for the seat. If they didn't sell them and the upgrade list was already processed, THEN they'd go out with empty seats.

Impossible...you'll have a hard time convincing many here (self excluded) that the CO seat is anything but a torture chamber.
I didn't find the Y seat that bad. Granted, I was in an exit row, but I didn't find it any more or less comfortable than UA's seat. I'd definitely prefer E+ over a non-exit seat on CO though.
Old Feb 25, 11, 9:27 am
In Memoriam

Programs: UA 1K, RCC; AA EXP; HH Diamond; CC Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Count me in the camp in which I prefer COs Y seat vs. UAs. I guess it is all a matter of perspective, though. I've had 10 trips on CO this year and they've been pretty darn good. More of my thoughts on CO vs. UA domestically are here.

Overall, I've been very pleased with the onboard service on CO.
Old Feb 25, 11, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Needless to say full of CO regs convinced of its superiority over UA.
Old Feb 25, 11, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Superguy View Post
I haven't seen Mr. Easy's at the airports I've checked in at in elite lines on UA's side.
JFK definitely does. I got to deal with them last week. LGA does, too.
Old Feb 25, 11, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UNITED863 View Post
Count me in the camp in which I prefer COs Y seat vs. UAs. I guess it is all a matter of perspective, though. I've had 10 trips on CO this year and they've been pretty darn good. More of my thoughts on CO vs. UA domestically are here.
Read your post - very well thought out. Will have to agree to disagree on the seat though - this is also a reflection of Airbus vs. Boeing on the narrowbodies. 1" seat width makes a difference (on Airbii), as does the wider aisle. I just can't get over how firm that CO seat is - I really noticed it on the seatback part, it was hard as a rock.
Old Feb 25, 11, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, Bonvoy LT Titanium, National EE
Originally Posted by Karter View Post
I then called CO to query and heard "we're experiencing an unusually high volume of calls and are unable to take your call." No queue. I'm just supposed to call back sometime in the future.
Just experienced this myself. How lame. Anyone know if 1Ks have access to a non-general member line over at CO?
Old Feb 26, 11, 10:05 am

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
Originally Posted by Viking547 View Post
Just experienced this myself. How lame. Anyone know if 1Ks have access to a non-general member line over at CO?
I called the 1K Desk a few weeks ago over a CO issue, and was given the general CO number.
Old Feb 26, 11, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Viking547 View Post
The 1K desk should be able to connect you to the elite line.
Old Feb 26, 11, 10:26 am

Programs: UA 1K SPG Plat HHonors Diamond
I've gotten around 80% upgrades on CO this past month and hopefully it'll stay there.

Mostly PHX-IAH-PIT/PHL/EWR

The times I haven't cleared were to EWR. My flight from IAH to PHX....is 820 the last one out and usually F actually has seats open..last two times they upgraded random pax during boarding.
Old Feb 28, 11, 12:48 pm

Programs: Fallen UA Premier Silver and one-time 1K, AA EXP, DL steerage
My first time (tee hee).

Just returned from an r/t LAX-IAH-PTY trip on CO. I'm a UA 1P, and I think my CO experience for this trip was generally comparable to my experience as a 1P. After booking my trip I called CO and was able to get exit row/bulkhead seats, which have good legroom (B737's).

The LAX-IAH red-eye was completely full. Every seat was taken and I didn't get much sleep. Was upgraded to BusinessFirst on the IAH-PTY route; the service and seat was comparable to 2-class, domestic F on UA. On the PTY-IAH return, according to the gate agent I was next in line for a UDU. But exit row and a meal (a nice surprise, even if it IS airline food) made for an easy 4-hour flight. Clearing security at IAH took ages. My final flight, IAH-LAX, was 30 minutes late leaving and very bumpy, but I can't fault CO for the latter part of that complaint.

Other thoughts: like Ted, CO doesn't give you the full can of soda when you order a drink. That said, beverage service is frequent so it wasn't really an issue. IAH is one truly mammoth airport. The PC's there are among the best stateside *G lounges.

Oh, one more thing: go to Panama! ^
Old Feb 28, 11, 3:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA Gold/MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Superguy View Post
Maybe you're thinking of AA? Mr. Chicken is standard issue equipment at all domestic stations in all lines, maybe except the GS desk at ORD.
Old Mar 1, 11, 9:10 am

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, minuscule UA miles, former CO Plat
Originally Posted by I Prefer the Red Eye View Post
Just returned from an r/t LAX-IAH-PTY trip on CO. I'm a UA 1P, and I think my CO experience for this trip was generally comparable to my experience as a 1P. After booking my trip I called CO and was able to get exit row/bulkhead seats, which have good legroom (B737's).

The LAX-IAH red-eye was completely full. Every seat was taken and I didn't get much sleep. Was upgraded to BusinessFirst on the IAH-PTY route; the service and seat was comparable to 2-class, domestic F on UA. On the PTY-IAH return, according to the gate agent I was next in line for a UDU. But exit row and a meal (a nice surprise, even if it IS airline food) made for an easy 4-hour flight. Clearing security at IAH took ages. My final flight, IAH-LAX, was 30 minutes late leaving and very bumpy, but I can't fault CO for the latter part of that complaint.

Other thoughts: like Ted, CO doesn't give you the full can of soda when you order a drink. That said, beverage service is frequent so it wasn't really an issue. IAH is one truly mammoth airport. The PC's there are among the best stateside *G lounges.

Oh, one more thing: go to Panama! ^
Actually, the IAH-PTY route features International Business and not BusinessFirst as the aircraft has a domestic seating configuration (and not the intl. BF type seats).

Other than that, glad you had a good trip overall. IAH has become a massive airport over the years. I began flying out of there right after it opened with just two terminals and two runways.
Old Mar 6, 11, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA1KMM SPGPLAT
The upgrade system and odds of clearing seem dismal for 1ks. Have my first CO flight this week (as a UA codeshare) and it seems the 1k status means nothing.
Old Mar 7, 11, 10:05 am

Programs: UAL 1K (1.6 Million Miles), Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
Recent Continental experience....BF great, Economy horrible

Have flown Continental several times in the last 2 weeks, as the prices were significantly less than UAL. Was very wary of flying them as I'm a 1K with UAL....

Flew Economy IAH-LHR ...... luckily the plane was half full, so I got a row to myself in Economy, but the seats were horrible, and hardly any leg room. Even if you tried to stretch out and sleep, the arm rests don't recline all the way with the seat, so they are a nuisance! Food was pathetic, and flight crew just didn't seem to care. Seat back video was the best thing about that flight.

Flew Business/First MIA-IAH-SFO, seats were very nice, leather with a nice recline. Didn't like the headrest though. Direct TV was fantastic, and the food was very good! Much better than UAL's first class meals.

Breakfast was a full bowl of cereal (not the paper packaged cup that UAL throws onto the tray). There was a full bowl of yogurt (again not the small packaged cup from UAL). A full bowl of fruit, and a piping hot cinnamon roll.

Lunch was a big bowl of fresh fruit, a nice corn/potato chowder, a turkey pesto wrap. Hot cookies later on. My only complaint is the size of the wine glass -- about 3 sips full, so the F/A is constantly having to come and refill it.

So, bottom line -- if you are flying Economy, go with UAL for the Economy +, and if you're flying First, check CO.....

Search this Thread
Search Engine: