Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First CO experience- is this our future?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2011, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold (Million Miler), FI Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Call me paranoid but I just wanted to talk to CO to see if I'm on the pre-check-in upgrade list or whatever. I called the elite number and waited for 21 minutes. Then the agent says "how can I help you" or whatever and I said "can you have a look at this booking please...?". She responds, "I can't hear you very well" or something like that and then HANGS UP. No "can you speak up" or something similar but she hangs up. So this is officially my first CO experience and I'm absolutely dreading the future of this merger more than ever.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by Karter
I assumed I'd be automatically on the upgrade list since CO recognises my status by allowing me to book the exit row. However, when I just went online and checked the upgrade standby list, I'm not on it.
I can't tell you the horror stories I've had. I've missed flights while agents tried to upgrade me on p.s flights, using instruments gifted to me by another 1K.

Tickets were ticketed on CO ticket stock, CO Code share, UA metal . The agent finally gave up and spit out a C BP.

Everything that you are experiencing, we are going through too, but in the reverse. As a CO elite flying UA metal

I called the elite number and waited for 21 minutes.
Calling the CO Elite number, unless you are a CO Elite does you no good. You are authenticated and asked for your onepass number and zip code.

If the voice recognition system recognizes that you are a CO Plat, the phone gets picked up in less than 3 minutes. My friend who is a Pres Plat, after 3 rings.

If the system does not authenticate you as a Continental Platinum Elite, you are thrown back to the regular line, whether you called the elite line or not. Expect a bit of a wait. You might as well call the regular number, it makes no difference.

I hope the US based agents stay, I've had frustrating experiences dealing with Delhi and Manila.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 28, 2011 at 3:41 am Reason: merge
Old Jan 27, 2011, 7:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Call me paranoid but I just wanted to talk to CO to see if I'm on the pre-check-in upgrade list or whatever. I called the elite number and waited for 21 minutes. Then the agent says "how can I help you" or whatever and I said "can you have a look at this booking please...?". She responds, "I can't hear you very well" or something like that and then HANGS UP. No "can you speak up" or something similar but she hangs up. So this is officially my first CO experience and I'm absolutely dreading the future of this merger more than ever.
Why would you ask for advice, and then ignore it?
Old Jan 27, 2011, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold (Million Miler), FI Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
Why would you ask for advice, and then ignore it?
Because by the time I read the responses on flyertalk, I'd been on hold 12 minutes and decided to hang on.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 9:52 am

Programs: UA 1k
Nice CO experiences on long hauls.

Hey all, had a pretty nice experience on a long haul from NRT to IAH yesterday with CO and thought I would share. Would be nice to see other experiences as well.

Here is the deal, this year I started out low on the totem pole with UAL as a 1P (This year, I will absolutely be hitting 2P and may likely get to 1K due to Asia travel). Booked a Q fare codeshare flight via CO from COS-ICN in which all but 2 of my flights were UAL. Had a hell of a time picking seats through the itenirary sections on both CO and Mileage Plus websites.

Long story short, CO obviously doesn’t have E+ on their 3 cabin planes, but they do sell their bulkhead and exit rows for an additional charge. I was in 17C which is one isle behind a bulkhead. There were 3 seats left open in the bulkhead for which several people were eyeing to snag. I asked one FA if a move was possible and she stated that was a no, but I also didn’t reveal my status to her right away. About 5 minutes later, another CO FA in NRT proactively came up to me and said "Sir, we called up front and noticed you are an elite with UAL and wanted to offer you the seat over here (16F)". I gladly jumped at the offer, but was more amazed that they took the initiative to do this (not sure what the other FA actually did do). What was an even bigger bonus was that they also didn’t place anyone else in 16E.

The FA also asked me why I didn’t request the seat in the first place. Told him the issues I had in picking seats online and that I figured they just were not recognizing my status on the Itineraries page. FA stated that they have seen this a lot and to keep in mind that asking at the counter is probably the best option. Admitantly I didnt do this as the online showed the flight fully booked out and didn’t feel like trying to explain myself.

Long story short, was very pleased to see such a thing happen. On another note, I was also shocked to receive an operational bump to C class on UAL from SFO-ICN on the way out, considering it was a CO code share ticket, am 1P and was riding a Q fare.

Anyone else have similar positive experiences with CO code shares? All I keep seeing is negative and was loathing this trip because of it. However, I now feel pretty pleased so far....

I must admit, the CO staff overall seems to have it very much together on international flights. More so than what my UAL experiences have been.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 1:18 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Some quick thoughts on my CO flights yesterday:

LAX - IAH

Upgrade did not clear - I was #5 on the upgrade list as an 1K. New plane type for me - have never flown a 757-300 varient. The plane had the new United livery. Chose a seat in the front of the plane instead of exit row, since an aisle seat was not available in the exit rows. The seat itself was adequate. Sure, I would've prefer E+, but at least my knees were not touching the front seat like on VX (disclaimer: I'm 6 feet tall).

It was strange and surreal to watch the CO safety video with Rhapsody in Blue playing in the background, including the final piano bars at the end of the video that's normally found on UA's video.

The CO version of Hemispheres was in the seatback pocket.

Once we're in-flight, the FAs passed out preztels before selling the headset, snack boxes and meals. Appearantly the prices went up as of yesterday for all BoB on CO. Cheeseburger is now $5.99 I think.

I bought the Chinese noodle salad. It wasn't bad, but it's more of an appetizer sized snack than full meal.

I was surprised at the fact that the FAs don't give you a whole can of soda in Y, even when you order a rum and Coke Zero, especially they filled up the cup full of Coke Zero.. where am I going to pour the rum? I guess I could have asked for the whole can, and endure the the FA gave to the passenger in front of me who asked for the can.

Juice and water run half way through the 3 hour flight, but that's it. No second drink cart run.

IFE was overhead video.. not too excited about "Life as We Know It".

IAH-PBI

Upgraded to first class during the 100 hour window. The flight was on a 737-900 with DirecTV. Headsets were free, and you can take one as you board the flight, but the DirecTV itself costs $6/$4 if you're seated in coach.

The first class seat, as many others had described, was the boxy square leather seat with slight recline. I prefer UA's Barca-lounger seats through.

PDB was served - I had a glass of white wine to start.

Once inflight, the first class stew (i don't think CO has a purser system) took drink order, and announced that a "cold plate" will be served. I assumed that there were edible items on the cold plate to be served, and I was right. It's the 2 slices of salami and turkey, few anorexic baby carrots and celery with ranch dip, crackers in a soup bowl (but no soup - remember it's a cold plate, not cold plate with hot soup. Perhaps they could have served a cold soup to keep up with the cold plate theme, but I digress), bowl of fruit pieces (orange, grapefruit, honeydew, and pineapple), 4 cheese cubes that escaped from the RCC, a package of Milano cookies.

Oh, they did serve a bag of premium nuts before serving drinks. Not warmed though. (Nuts nor drinks) Wine was refilled throughout the flight.

The EWR based crew were quite eager to clear the trays. I did get a chance to talk to them for a bit, and they just hated everything "United". From the loss of Continental name, the union, "senior mamas", and .....y UA customers. Of course, they also blamed the BoB price increase to "United".
Old Feb 2, 2011, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PTahCha
bowl of fruit pieces (orange, grapefruit, honeydew, and pineapple)
At least they don't bulk up the fruit with grapes like UA does.

4 cheese cubes that escaped from the RCC
Ok, this made me laugh.

The EWR based crew were quite eager to clear the trays. I did get a chance to talk to them for a bit, and they just hated everything "United".
And those of us on the UA side hate everything CO, from the blankets to the F seats to the lack of upgrades.

Everybody is going to lose on this merger, except perhaps SMI/J. He'll probably get an 8 figure bonus for completing the merger.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 1:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
The EWR based crew were quite eager to clear the trays. I did get a chance to talk to them for a bit, and they just hated everything "United". From the loss of Continental name, the union, "senior mamas", and .....y UA customers. Of course, they also blamed the BoB price increase to "United".
Stunningly well informed crew. Pretty much dead on. It's very difficult for them-- they've been the most professional men and women in the industry for years, and they are getting forced together with another carrier.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by SFOSpiff
And those of us on the UA side hate everything CO, from the blankets to the F seats to the lack of upgrades.

Everybody is going to lose on this merger, except perhaps SMI/J. He'll probably get an 8 figure bonus for completing the merger.
I said this many times long before:

We 1Ks have essentially nothing to gain from this merger.

But everything to lose.

I worry about E+, int'l 3 class, upgrades, SWUs, CR1s (starting 2012, every 100K-120K flyer will lose half of CR1s).

The worst has yet to come, be prepared, folks.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kb1992
I said this many times long before:

We 1Ks have essentially nothing to gain from this merger.

But everything to lose.

I worry about E+, int'l 3 class, upgrades, SWUs, CR1s (starting 2012, every 100K-120K flyer will lose half of CR1s).

The worst has yet to come, be prepared, folks.
And for all CO flyers --Pres Plat, Plat, Gold, Silver and General, we have already lost everything and will gain nothing.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gawhite411
And for all CO flyers --Pres Plat, Plat, Gold, Silver and General, we have already lost everything and will gain nothing.
E+ (if $misek feels generous), better food on board in coach now (though it costs $), confirmed regionals, SWUs (less than a year old), whole new set of Asian routes, lots of domestic widebodies, PS routes/planes, C9, better food in lounges, (for many) elimination of cheap M/B = more EUA, etc. - think CO flyers are actually doing pretty well here all things considered
Old Feb 2, 2011, 3:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gawhite411
Stunningly well informed crew. Pretty much dead on. It's very difficult for them-- they've been the most professional men and women in the industry for years, and they are getting forced together with another carrier.
Interesting example of a crew's "most professional" quality.
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
E+ (if $misek feels generous), better food on board in coach now (though it costs $), confirmed regionals, SWUs (less than a year old), whole new set of Asian routes, lots of domestic widebodies, PS routes/planes, C9, better food in lounges, (for many) elimination of cheap M/B = more EUA, etc. - think CO flyers are actually doing pretty well here all things considered
No doubt. CO brings nothing to the table that a UA flyer couldn't have gotten through the previous partnership arrangement.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
CO elites, especially high level elites, are doing very well indeed.

They should be grateful to this merger.

OTOH, what do we UA 1Ks gain from this merger?

Practically nothing.

I said this one year ago.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 8:31 pm

CO Plat here. Except for the elimination of cheap M/B, I'm not complaining.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by kb1992
OTOH, what do we UA 1Ks gain from this merger?
Drink charges in First?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.