Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelling non refundable ticket

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2010, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Cancelling non refundable ticket

I needed to cancel a non-refundable ticket booked on Expedia with 2 legs on CO metal 1 on UA metal one of the CO metal legs is a UA code share. All of this on a UA e-ticket.

After talking to CO and UA was told to call Expedia to cancel. I called Expedia and explained my reason for cancelling (immediate family illness that prevents me from taking my flight). Expedia cancelled my itinerary and explained that per my fare rules with United I am able to get credit for the cost of the flight to use within a year (~$390). When booking the new flight I would normally have to pay a change fee of I think $150. If I contact United and explain my situation and provide proper documentation I should be able to wave the change fee.

So I have a couple of questions. Expedia wasn't very clear on whether the credit for my original flight is with them or with United. I'll call them again and ask but wanted to see if anyone here knows? Second thing is that Expedia provided me with the info that I need to provide to United, one of the things is a letter from a doctor. Is there a template of what I should ask the doctor to write for me? Or rather for me to write and ask the doctor to sign? Also logging in to my Continental account I still see one of the legs of the itinerary, the UA metal leg, other two are now gone. Not even sure what to think about that.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Credit is for the carrier that issued the ticket. If that was United (016 ticket number), then you can rebook through UA directly. But Expedia will also rebook the ticket for you.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Credit is for the carrier that issued the ticket. If that was United (016 ticket number), then you can rebook through UA directly. But Expedia will also rebook the ticket for you.
Thanks for the reply. Expedia told me that they would be able to rebook for me and I have a reference number with them. If I was to rebook via UA where would the record of the credit be recorded? Would that be under my UA PNR?
Old Oct 19, 2010, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by greendx
Thanks for the reply. Expedia told me that they would be able to rebook for me and I have a reference number with them. If I was to rebook via UA where would the record of the credit be recorded? Would that be under my UA PNR?
look up by old ticket number, remember it will expire in one year from when you bought the ticket
Old Oct 19, 2010, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gomike
look up by old ticket number, remember it will expire in one year from when you bought the ticket
Okay great. That's what I'll do. Thanks.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 12:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Just to make sure it's clear, when gomike says Ticket Number, he means the long number starting with 016, which is different than the 6 letter/number PNR. Check your Expedia confirmations to see if any of your documentation has that ticket number. Hope it all works out!
Old Jan 13, 2011, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

I just used this credit for a new reservation with united. When I asked about waving the $150 cancellation fee, as I have documentation stating why I missed the flight (immediate family emergency), I was told that I would need to email a united refund department or something of that nature. I went ahead and booked the flight, used the credit, paid the difference. At that point I asked about the refund process, where to send my documentation and was told this information would be emailed to me. The only email I received was my confirmation number for the flight. Before I call united back does anyone have this information on how to get a refund for the $150 cancellation fee?
Old Jan 13, 2011, 6:18 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, UA Mileage Plus.
Medical, personal and travel emergencies

Here is a link for UA.com that discusses the process. You have to send the documentation to the Refunds department in the mail.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0...itle=Emergency
Old Feb 3, 2011, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

So this is just a flight that is not meant to be.

I re-booked using my credit via United and added the difference on my credit card. Flight was supposed to be tomorrow on CO metal. I noticed that CO extended their weather waiver from EWR flights to include tomorrow (been checking all week in hopes I can cancel the flight but it was through Feb 3rd until now). I called CO and canceled the flight but was told I need to speak to UA regarding credit. Got transferred to a UA agent and was expecting to get the difference that I paid in booking this flight refunded and then the original credit back to being a credit that I can use sometime between now and either October or next February. Instead the agent said that I would be getting the full amount refunded to my credit card.

Question to you folks is does this sound right and I got lucky? Did I not get lucky and this was correctly refunded to me? Did the agent totally get confused and I'm not going to get a refund?

I really don't care if I was going to have to deal with having a credit that I have to use with United but of course I prefer to get the money back. Just wondering if I have to wait now until I can verify that I got a proper refund or if I should call United again to confirm that the agent was right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.