Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

October 29, 2010 - One-Way Star Alliance Awards Are Now Available

October 29, 2010 - One-Way Star Alliance Awards Are Now Available

Old Oct 28, 2010, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by mymiles2go
Out of curiosity, has anyone who called asked about stopover rules with the one-ways? Surely they're in the profile/agent information update.
I was just told that if you're crossing regions, you can do a short break (less than 24 hours) at your transfer city on the 1-way *A awards, which are, btw, world-wide and not just domestic US.

If you're traveling within one region, no stopover at all on the 1-way *A awards.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Angeleno228
[...] but that it wasn't supposed to be released to the public... so she was hesitant to give any further information[...]
I suppose we'll find out soon enough, but I wonder if that means that advance notice of the 29th being the start date wasn't supposed to be released to the public or that UA won't be making an official announcement at all tomorrow. If the latter, it'll be great for savvy FTers but bad for the kettles.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 2:38 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by dsquared37
If UA does begin allowing o/w *A awards there is no way a stopover will be allowed. The big question is whether stopovers will continue to be allowed on a r/t.
If the program does begin tomorrow, I think stopovers will continue to be allowed on round trips, if only because I would guess that MP would give advance notice if stopovers were being taken away.

Originally Posted by sfvoyage
I was just told that if you're crossing regions, you can do a short break (less than 24 hours) at your transfer city on the 1-way *A awards, which are, btw, world-wide and not just domestic US.

If you're traveling within one region, no stopover at all on the 1-way *A awards.
The 24-hour "short break" is nothing new -- it's just an ordinary layover. International itineraries are allowed up to 24-hour layovers, while domestic is up to 4 hours. A true international stopover is > 24 hours, and would almost certainly not be allowed on a one-way award.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 3:05 pm

This is a really terrific expansion of benefits, even if its just for the domestic market. The only "problem" I forsee related to the international market is that paid international one way fares are often more expensive than paid round trips. It's not entirely clear to me why this is true, but it removes a lot of the potential value of one-way international award flights because it isn't as if you can simply purchase half of your trip through cash, half through miles whenever you like. Well you could, but it would be hard to save money by doing so.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by dickerso
This is a really terrific expansion of benefits, even if its just for the domestic market. The only "problem" I forsee related to the international market is that paid international one way fares are often more expensive than paid round trips. It's not entirely clear to me why this is true, but it removes a lot of the potential value of one-way international award flights because it isn't as if you can simply purchase half of your trip through cash, half through miles whenever you like. Well you could, but it would be hard to save money by doing so.
I think more of the value is in redeeming different award levels (out in Y, back in F), being able to make changes after flying the outbound (because the inbound is a different award), and of course, transatlantic relocation! There are also a few airlines with decent one-way international fares (Iceland Air springs to mind, I know it's not *).
Old Oct 28, 2010, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
and Transsiberian Railway positioning
Old Oct 28, 2010, 3:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by dickerso
it removes a lot of the potential value of one-way international award flights because it isn't as if you can simply purchase half of your trip through cash, half through miles whenever you like.
Some examples of big wins (for North American MP members) on the repositioning angle:
  1. W fares ex-Asia (for at least some cities) are much cheaper than W fares ex-US. If you fly to Asia a lot, book a one-way award, then book all your round-trips ex-Asia.
  2. RTW fares are much cheaper if you start from somewhere other than North America. Works like #1.
  3. Like TATL cruises? Nice way to get there or get back.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold, too many cruise programs to list
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
[*]Like TATL cruises? Nice way to get there or get back.[/list]
Exactly! My clients are going to *love* this one! TATL, TPAC, repositionings - all good!
Old Oct 28, 2010, 5:25 pm

Programs: XP AA, ◊ HGP, PL SPG, 1K UA
This is bookable already! 1K was able to get me a one way FC ticket from Europe to S. Asia. I don't have time nor desire to do a stop over on this trip.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Some examples of big wins (for North American MP members) on the repositioning angle:
  1. W fares ex-Asia (for at least some cities) are much cheaper than W fares ex-US. If you fly to Asia a lot, book a one-way award, then book all your round-trips ex-Asia.
  2. RTW fares are much cheaper if you start from somewhere other than North America. Works like #1.
  3. Like TATL cruises? Nice way to get there or get back.
Or, outbound on UA/Star, return on AA/OW. Huge benefit if you have miles in both programs. Increases award ticket options dramatically.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA-GS, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
Or, outbound on UA/Star, return on AA/OW. Huge benefit if you have miles in both programs. Increases award ticket options dramatically.
+1
Old Oct 28, 2010, 7:04 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
^ lots of good benefits but personally this is one I'm really liking
Old Oct 29, 2010, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
called this morning and was told the rollout would be Nov 1 - along with the ability to change flights on *A itins. CSA said they just had training on the new policies.

Got my ducks lined up awaiting the announcement.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by nnn
The 24-hour "short break" is nothing new -- it's just an ordinary layover. International itineraries are allowed up to 24-hour layovers, while domestic is up to 4 hours. A true international stopover is > 24 hours, and would almost certainly not be allowed on a one-way award.
Yes, I am well aware of the 24-hr layover rule. What I was pointing out was that, for the new *A one-way awards, while true stopovers will not be allowed, 24-hr layovers will still be allowed on multi-region awards but not on single-region awards. (At least that's what the 1K agent told me last night.)
Old Oct 29, 2010, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by sfvoyage
Yes, I am well aware of the 24-hr layover rule. What I was pointing out was that, for the new *A one-way awards, while true stopovers will not be allowed, 24-hr layovers will still be allowed on multi-region awards but not on single-region awards. (At least that's what the 1K agent told me last night.)
What will be the allowable layover on a one-region award then? I'm rather skeptical of this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.