Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

October 29, 2010 - One-Way Star Alliance Awards Are Now Available

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

October 29, 2010 - One-Way Star Alliance Awards Are Now Available

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2010, 11:13 pm

Thumbs down

just called the 1K desk in USA to request a one way syd tlv award

the woman knew NOTHING about this and argued with me that they existed when I told her I had booked 2 already today she wanted to know the booking refs

why would I give someone with no competence a booking for them to screw around with

why are they not training their 1k res agents to know more than me

also im seeing heaps of seats on ANA that are unavailable to UA but available to USAIR and BMI
so starnet blocking is alive and well.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 11:13 am
In memoriam

Just a quick note to add to this thread-- found a one-way award fare on CO that I wanted to book using my UA miles... 30k mi for first class STT-EWR-IAD-LAX... not crazy about the routing but considering it's first all the way AND it's 5k less than the (UA) STT-ORD-LAX that I was holding, it was definitely worth it to drop the UA award and get the CO award instead.

But here's where it gets really good: so I call to redeem this, and not only is it no problem, but the agent found the same 30k first class award, but routed STT-EWR-LAX (cutting the IAD hop out entirely)! That didn't even come up on my searches of the CO web site... but wow, am I glad she could do that for me that.

I think the moral of the story is, even if you don't find anything when searching online, try calling since you never know what might come up. :-)

Big cheers to United (and Continental) for allowing these awards. In the last two days, I've set up two *A one-way awards and I'm very pleased with the results for both.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
I'm thinking about this one way route ANA: FUK-HND(Tokyo)-TSA(Taipei).
Is it doable?
I checked ANA award tool, but it doesn't show up the combination. There is a flight FUK-HND to be able to connect to the flight HND-TSA on the same day. The ANA tool shows flights ITM(OSAKA)-HND-TSA, though...

Also, can I still have max 24 hours International connection (layover) between two different regions? In other words, this is between Japan and North Asia, so I'm wondering if I'm allowed to do that...
Old Nov 3, 2010, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MrJBoy
I'm thinking about this one way route ANA: FUK-HND(Tokyo)-TSA(Taipei).
Is it doable?
I checked ANA award tool, but it doesn't show up the combination. There is a flight FUK-HND to be able to connect to the flight HND-TSA on the same day. The ANA tool shows flights ITM(OSAKA)-HND-TSA, though...

Also, can I still have max 24 hours International connection (layover) between two different regions? In other words, this is between Japan and North Asia, so I'm wondering if I'm allowed to do that...
I think FUK-HND-TSA may not be allowed because it is over Maximum Permitted Miles. FUK-HND is a big backtrack.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=FUK-HND-TSA
Old Nov 4, 2010, 12:07 am

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
I think FUK-HND-TSA may not be allowed because it is over Maximum Permitted Miles. FUK-HND is a big backtrack.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=FUK-HND-TSA
Thank you.
I got ITM-HND-TSA on ANA, instead.
By the way I might want to delete the ITM-HND segment later.
Is it possible to do that without losing the HND-TSA segment???
I'm worried about losing the HND-TSA segment if UA has to cancel the whole thing first, try to find the HND-TSA flight availability again, then it might not be available anymore???
I hope UA will just modify the reservation and reissue the tickets...
Old Nov 10, 2010, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
The good and the bad

Great - love only committing to one way, no need to push the return date way out into the future

Bad - lose the ability to do a stopover if booking two 1-ways. Ah well.

FYI - the day after this launched I booked a 1 way, then called later to add on a return flight. The outbound had already been ticketed, yet the MP agent was able to add the return flight onto the same PNR. Talked to an MP supe today who said that was a big no-no.

So lesson learned - don't expect to book a one way, add a return flight, and then mess with a segment to be able to add in a stopover too.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 11:33 am

Programs: UA-1K , AA PLAT, Marriott Platinum
This is definately a great enhancement, had been waiting for the O/W *A tickets for a longgg time .... thanks UA
Old Nov 10, 2010, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
I have a ticket booked SFO-FCO on LX and R/T FCO-SFO via FRA on LH.
Now that there are 1 way awards can I call up to just cancel the return and keep the outboud on LX and use just 1/2 the miles? I am going to use BA for the return.The LX Biz seat was really hard to get so I hate to loose and try and rebook the 1 way SFO-FCO since I am afraid it will be gone after they cancel then try to rebook.
Anybody have luck with this?
Old Nov 11, 2010, 12:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by ash_79
This is definately a great enhancement, had been waiting for the O/W *A tickets for a longgg time .... thanks UA
Agree. This is one of the best things UA have done in a long time.

Pity they have also made the SWU redundant, but that is another story.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 9:32 pm

Found availability in C for DEN-FRA-TLV, but only F for the return. In the past, this would have required an F award - 145K miles. Now, booked as two one-ways, this was only 130K. ^

Oh, and it's all on LH, shockingly. No more *net blocking?!
Old Nov 16, 2010, 1:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA E- inhabitant

Last edited by jetta2.0t; Mar 20, 2013 at 7:49 pm
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:11 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by cbrown5294
I have a ticket booked SFO-FCO on LX and R/T FCO-SFO via FRA on LH.
Now that there are 1 way awards can I call up to just cancel the return and keep the outboud on LX and use just 1/2 the miles? I am going to use BA for the return.The LX Biz seat was really hard to get so I hate to loose and try and rebook the 1 way SFO-FCO since I am afraid it will be gone after they cancel then try to rebook.
Anybody have luck with this?
I want to do the same thing. Is it possible to split a RT into two one ways?
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by aau
I want to do the same thing. Is it possible to split a RT into two one ways?
Having talked to multiple agents about this issue (tried to do it myself), the answer is most definitely not unfortunately.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Having talked to multiple agents about this issue (tried to do it myself), the answer is most definitely not unfortunately.
Is it possible to change the retunr on a journey that has already started?
Old Nov 17, 2010, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jan_az
Is it possible to change the retunr on a journey that has already started?
That I don't know for sure, but I thought I heard it might be the case now - a true enhancement!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.