Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAD-DXB: The next SFO/LAX-SYD?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2010, 7:41 am
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Booked IAD DXB for last day in Jan and SWU was confirmed almost immediately on a W fare. I will have to wait until I get my 2010 SWU's first of Jan to try and confirm my upgrade return in Feb.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sfo
I will have to wait until I get my 2010 SWU's first of Jan to try and confirm my upgrade return in Feb.
This would only work if you have a DeLorean with flux capacitor.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 8:51 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Madisonman39
I flew to New Delhi last year throgh DXB with the additional leg on another carrier. The strange thing is that it was $2000 in business class cheaper and $600 in upgradable coach to go to Delhi than to just go to DXB. Strange but true. If you want to save some money and can spend even a little time in Delhi, you might want to look at this. (I did not check to see if stopovers were permitted. If they are, you could go all the way to Delhi for a few hours, come back to DXB and use your stopover there.)
I had heard this before so actually tried to create that intinerary (using BOM), but it kept forcing me to connect in Europe. Did you book it on dotbomb, or....?
Old Oct 19, 2010, 9:22 am

Programs: UA Gold 1mm, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by sfo
Booked IAD DXB for last day in Jan and SWU was confirmed almost immediately on a W fare. I will have to wait until I get my 2010 SWU's first of Jan to try and confirm my upgrade return in Feb.
I would try to upgrade the return now. The return seems to be the biggest problem. You might borrow or trade for SWU on CC. If that doesn't work, you may be able to get an early deposit of SWUs. Last year, I believe the early deposit became available in Nov if you are already requalified for 1K.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 9:30 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Upgraded my friend on this route last week. Didn't clear until the gate but C was wide open. Still flew with 8 empty seats in C.

I agree the new config will reduce upgrade availability, but it doesn't seem like C is unavailable, just that UA is holding out on NC space more. Probably because the governement purchases can be last minute.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 9:49 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by rmmcdaniel
I flew both of these routes (DXB and KWI) a few times this year. When upgrade space wasn't available at time of booking I just called the 1K desk and asked to have inventory mgmt review my upgrade request. I went 3 for 3 getting it confirmed within 36 hours of booking using that approach.

Agree that KWI isn't the easiest airport to deal with, but much better than RUH, JED, etc.
If you aren't a GS I doubt this call did anything......but if you think so keep on believing it.

BTW to OP I have flown all the routes KWI,BAH,DXB and I have only missed one upgrade with SWU's in the last 2 years and it was IAD-DXB. This doesn't mean anything I don't think other than a one off. I love originating in the Middle East on UA for the lowest fare bucket available is usually W from DXB thus upgradeable. KWI used to be M/H but now that Bah started we are seeing some prices of non upgradeable buckets which sucks.

I always price out all three and figure out the hassle and extra cost of a LCC commuting through the middle east. I will pay $100 extra to not have to go through immigration and claim bags in the ME personally.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by Madisonman39
I flew to New Delhi last year throgh DXB with the additional leg on another carrier. The strange thing is that it was $2000 in business class cheaper and $600 in upgradable coach to go to Delhi than to just go to DXB. Strange but true. If you want to save some money and can spend even a little time in Delhi, you might want to look at this. (I did not check to see if stopovers were permitted. If they are, you could go all the way to Delhi for a few hours, come back to DXB and use your stopover there.)
I was looking at the same option for an upcoming trip to DEL as well. What connecting carrier did you end up using?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.