Search

2 CR1's for 4K spend (targeted offer)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2010, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
2 CR1's for 4K spend (targeted offer)

Just got this offer:
As one of our most loyal Mileage Plus® members, we’re pleased to offer you this exclusive opportunity to earn two (2) Regional Upgrades to use on any United® or United Express® flight in the United States, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean.

Register and book and fly at least $4,000 USD in United or United Express® flights in a paid fare class by December 28, 2010, and we will deposit two (2) Regional Upgrades, valid for 12 months, into your account.
Link to terms and conditions:
http://http://www.united.com/page/ar...,53615,00.html

For me personally, this is not a useful offer. For that much in spend I can make 1K from where I'm at. With UDU, it's not really terribly all that motivating.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA PP, Hilton/MR Gold
I also just recieved this offer and also find it rather useless.

This is the first time I've ever recieved a CR1 promo, but 4k spend is just crazy imho.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
I just booked like 15K in tickets and didn't know about this. DOH!

BTW above link has two "http's" and is broken even when that is fixed. Can someone re-post the correct link please?
Old Oct 13, 2010, 5:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by ainternational
Can someone re-post the correct link please?
http://www.united.com/page/article/1,,53615,00.html
Old Oct 13, 2010, 5:58 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by smashr

This is the first time I've ever recieved a CR1 promo, but 4k spend is just crazy imho.
...really? how so?
Old Oct 13, 2010, 6:12 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by smashr

Crazy how? That they finally found a way to target the non-MR crowd? Would just require me to cancel and rebook one of my tickets. Unfortunately I was not targeted.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA PP, Hilton/MR Gold
Originally Posted by Erasmus
Crazy how? That they finally found a way to target the non-MR crowd? Would just require me to cancel and rebook one of my tickets. Unfortunately I was not targeted.
This appears to be targetted at 1Ps (at least from myself and the one other person confirming they have recieved it thus far). There are 10 full weeks left in the year, and this promotion excludes previously booked flights. Assuming you take all 10 weeks, we are talking about a significant travel rate here ( 7-10 transcons, 3-5 tatls, or 2-4 tpacs, etc). Most people travelling at that rate have already made 1k, and this promo does not seem to be targetted at them.

Sure, if you are booking international premium cabins regularly then this is a drop in the bucket, and such a promo could easily push such a 1p to book an extra trip on UA instead of another carrier. But for the average mid spending (ie not mileage running) Y-only 1P to consider taking a couple extra trips and/or consolidating on UA where they may not have otherwise, $4k over 10 weeks is just too high a bar.

YMMV
Old Oct 14, 2010, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What I like about this offer is the fact that UA uses CR-1s in a promotion at all. An encouraging sign that they are here to stay.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 10:41 am

Programs: UA 2.6 MM, 1K, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by cesco.g
What I like about this offer is the fact that UA uses CR-1s in a promotion at all. An encouraging sign that they are here to stay.
Very good point.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 10:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by cesco.g
An encouraging sign that they are here to stay.
At least for the next year.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 12:27 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I try to register (as I did), and it doesn't squawk that my registration was rejected (which it didn't for me), does that mean I was targeted even if I didn't get a solicitation? Kind of irrelevant for me on this offer, but curious aboput this for future targetted solicitations.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 12:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
If I try to register (as I did), and it doesn't squawk that my registration was rejected (which it didn't for me), does that mean I was targeted even if I didn't get a solicitation? ....
Nope --UA promo registration never squawks for anyone. If you were not targeted, you will not be eligible.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
If I try to register (as I did), and it doesn't squawk that my registration was rejected (which it didn't for me), does that mean I was targeted even if I didn't get a solicitation? Kind of irrelevant for me on this offer, but curious aboput this for future targetted solicitations.
There were many targeted promotions in the past, all those they accepted, never rejected, it is just at the end after the flight, I had no bonus whatsoever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.