Search

UA credit cards - advice needed

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2010, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, HH Diamond, peasant elsewhere
UA credit cards - advice needed

Hi,

I'm looking to get a Miles Plus Visa, since I'm going to be booking a couple of flights on United in the near future, and I figured I might as well earn 3 miles per dollar rather than 1 SkyPeso/$1 on my DL Amex. There's also the perk of building my credit (I'm a college senior). I'd appreciate some advice on which card is best and how to maximize my signup bonus miles. I've searched this forum, but a lot of the deals mentioned aren't going on any more.

Thanks
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Try going to thatsaplus.com, and logging in with your MP Number/Last Name to see what kind of deal you'll get. I know I got a 50,000 mile bonus, with the first year fee waived for the select card, which rumor has it is what all elites get. Certainly better than the standard 30,000 mile offer wihtout a first year fee waived. Not sure what level you are, or what kind of offer you might get, but its certainly worth a shot.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:59 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Be aware of what you get 3 miles/$ on and what is still 1 mile/$. Not everything is 3 miles/$.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, HH Diamond, peasant elsewhere
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Try going to thatsaplus.com, and logging in with your MP Number/Last Name to see what kind of deal you'll get. I know I got a 50,000 mile bonus, with the first year fee waived for the select card, which rumor has it is what all elites get. Certainly better than the standard 30,000 mile offer wihtout a first year fee waived. Not sure what level you are, or what kind of offer you might get, but its certainly worth a shot.
Thanks for the tip. I used that site, and they offered me 25K bonus miles, with another 5000 for adding a second user (which I'm not going to do) and 10K bonus if I spend $10K in the first three months (also not going to happen). There's no annual fee for the first year, and it just says earn 1 mile for every dollar spent, not even mentioning the 3 RDM/$1 for United flights. This seems like a worse deal than even the one being advertised here on FT - 30K bonus after spending $250! That one has a slightly higher ($95 vs $60) annual fee, but still....

ps I don't have any status on United, I just see this as a way to earn some extra RDM on purchases I have to make anyway
Old Oct 13, 2010, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA ExP
Originally Posted by ssb2045
with another 5000 for adding a second user (which I'm not going to do)
Why in the world wouldn't you? It's 5K free miles for doing nothing. Put it in your dad or sibling's name and never give it to them.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 4:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA 1P, UA RCC, Hertz Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver, SPG Gold
Offers

Any idea as to how often the 'offers' section updates it's offers? It still shows me as a low milage nothing, versus a 1P. Therefore, its offer is for a super-lame signature card at 1 mile/$1.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 4:50 pm

Programs: United 1K, HH Diamond, CBP Global Entry
is it still possible to find the links to apply to some of the older Chase Mileage Plus credit cards? like the platinum MP card, and the gold MP card. any secret link still exist to apply and get them?
Old Oct 13, 2010, 6:17 pm

Programs: HH D i a m o n d !!!
Before proceeding, be very honest with yourself about whether you are truly trying to build your credit, or if the CC companies are doing a good job of luring you into CC's that you don't really need. Your credit is supremely important if you need to buy a home or car.

If you are booking UA tix, the foremost priority is to get the BIS miles. Make sure you have a MileagePlus #, and make sure the miles credit to your account. Yes, it would be nice to get 3miles/$ with a UA/Chase CC, but in the long run that might be an inconsequential advantage when you start facing a $95/year CC bill. If you are trying to build your credit, this takes years and years -- so look for a CC that you will be happy with for years and years. Consider a card with no annual fees, or very low (< $50/yr).

As a FT'er who is also in the < 30 age demographic, I cannot say how often I want to sign up for all the CC's with bonuses that older folks are getting. However the idea of having credit pulls every year (and the negative effect they have on my credit score) is not worth it to me.

Yes, I could get a LOT of miles from sign up bonuses. Hundreds of thousands of miles.

Yes, I could fly for free, or cheap, for the next several years.

But if my credit score drops 20 points and my (future) mortgage costs me an extra $25,000 over the next 30 years, did I really win?

I'm sure other FT'ers have insight into the best no-fee cards if that is a route you decide on. One other option is to look at cards for other airlines and their signup offers. I think AA has a 75k signup bonus on one of their cards. If you are going to have a credit pull, you might as well get a big bonus

//perkunas
Old Oct 13, 2010, 6:40 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by perkunas
Before proceeding, be very honest with yourself about whether you are truly trying to build your credit, or if the CC companies are doing a good job of luring you into CC's that you don't really need. Your credit is supremely important if you need to buy a home or car.
I have seen no evidence that adding a credit card or two will damage credit in any meaningful way.

I churned 8 AA Citi cards and 3 Chase cards in the last 2 years. My credit rating went from 704 to 720. Primarily because it increased my debt-to-credit ratio because I had more available credit and the same amount of debt.

I am also in the < 30 demographic. As far as annual fees go, these can bite you but if you stay on top of them, you can convert the card to a no annual fee version, or get the fee waived, if you call. And your credit history with the card does not change.

I've stopped churning now primarily because I have a ton of miles and the hassle of keeping up with the annual fees wasn't worth the bonus miles anymore.

I know my situation isn't everyone's but I see no evidence that CC opening can damage a credit score meaningfully. Definitely not > 10 points.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 2:17 pm

Programs: "all" airlines and hotels
Originally Posted by ssb2045
Hi,

I'm looking to get a Miles Plus Visa, since I'm going to be booking a couple of flights on United in the near future, and I figured I might as well earn 3 miles per dollar rather than 1 SkyPeso/$1 on my DL Amex. There's also the perk of building my credit (I'm a college senior). I'd appreciate some advice on which card is best and how to maximize my signup bonus miles. I've searched this forum, but a lot of the deals mentioned aren't going on any more.

Thanks
And consider - there is one Chase card that gives you 5K EQM as a one time bonus, plus 1m/$ EQM up got 5k per year - in case it might enable you to make status.

Ron

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.