I just don't understand this.......

Old Mar 12, 2004, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K/3MM, AA & DL 1MM, *wood Plat, Hertz Pres.
I just don't understand this.......

I have to go to Rome on business. My office will pay business class for me and then I normally upgrade (normally with SW). I got a z fare for $4,900 or so from the West Coast with UA to LHR and then on BA to FCO. I just called United to see about an upgrade and was told that they won't upgrade the Z fare. So, they won't upgrade me, yet I am sure in empty seats in FC cabin I'll find UA staff flying to LHR on a pass. Yet I can't get upgraded. Keep in mind last year I spent nearly $30K with UA.

I'm sorry I don't understand this logic. I couldn't run my business this way.

------------------
UA-GS/1K (M-M)-AA/DL/UA
Hilton Diamond, Starwood Plt.
Old Mar 12, 2004, 6:05 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

Huh? Z fares do not allow upgrades. You should know that. Buy up to a D or C.

Old Mar 12, 2004, 6:06 pm

I'm a little confused. Did your travel agent not tell you these weren't upgradeable? (If not, you should consider finding another agent.) UA Z fares have this in them (this has been discussed on this board before):

TICKET RESTRICTIONS

NOTE: Z CLASS FARES ARE NOT UPGRADABLE TO FIRST CLASS. NEITHER MILEAGE NOR CERTIFICATES MAY BE USED TO UPGRADE THIS FARE. PASSENGERS WISHING TO HAVE THE OPTION TO UPGRADE SHOULD PURCHASE C OR D CLASS PER THE RULES OF THOSE SPECIFIC FARES. CORPORATE VOLUME DISCOUNTS ARE ALSO NOT PERMITTED. Z CLASS FARES ACCRUE BASE MILES AND ELITE STATUS BONUS MILES BUT ARE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR CABIN/CLASS OF SERVICE BONUS MILES.

Whether or not they should permit upgrades or not I don't know but its not like UA wasn't upfront about it. Scold your travel agent!
Old Mar 12, 2004, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by UA1kMFR:
Keep in mind last year I spent nearly $30K with UA.</font>
Keep in mind I spent less than $2K with UA and they wont let me do it either.

Old Mar 12, 2004, 6:41 pm

My company pays for coach only. I'd be happy to trade places with you.
Old Mar 12, 2004, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Part of the restrictions of a cheap Z fare ($4900 in business class to Rome is a pretty good deal) is that upgrades are not allowed except for now-expired Sweet Spot certificates.

I'm sure most of the posters here would love UA to open up upgrades to all types of fares, etc... but that also isn't much of a way to upgrade to business. However, if you buy up to a C/D fare you can upgrade...

------------------
Thank you for flying and staying UNITED. Your business and support is highly appreciated. Enjoy your flight and spread the word!
Old Mar 12, 2004, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by anc-ord772:
Keep in mind I spent less than $2K with UA and they wont let me do it either.

</font>
This qualifies as the best response to a post so far this year.

Don't rag on UA1k, he's a nice guy.

Dan

Old Mar 12, 2004, 8:32 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
They need to have some incentive in the higher priced fares or else nobody would buy them. Allowing upgrades is one of those incentives. If every fare was upgradeable, well then they would only need the least expensive one.

It's no skin off their back, either way they get your money. This way, next time if you want to move up, you will probably pay more.

Old Mar 12, 2004, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cordelli:
They need to have some incentive in the higher priced fares or else nobody would buy them. Allowing upgrades is one of those incentives. If every fare was upgradeable, well then they would only need the least expensive one.

It's no skin off their back, either way they get your money. This way, next time if you want to move up, you will probably pay more.

</font>
He can still buy up to C/D before departure... without a change fee.

------------------
Thank you for flying and staying UNITED. Your business and support is highly appreciated. Enjoy your flight and spread the word!
Old Mar 12, 2004, 8:58 pm

After becoming addicted to this game, years ago I've weaned myself off the upgrade tit and learned to use consolidators who get me the upgradable fare (NOT Z) for 2800. in biz.

Albeit I don't always go UA but I ALWAYS GET WHAT I PAY FOR, FIRE YOUR AGENT!

DJ
Old Mar 12, 2004, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PP
Just for fun, have you priced a RTW tix on *A in C Class? Keep on going east from Rome to make your way back to the West Coast. You could upgrade to F to LHR, then from Asia to the U.S. Enjoy SQ from Europe to Asia.

I haven't priced this lately BUT think of all the status miles you'd get and C class on SQ ain't so bad!
Old Mar 13, 2004, 8:35 am
G2

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by duplojohn:
After becoming addicted to this game, years ago I've weaned myself off the upgrade tit and learned to use consolidators who get me the upgradable fare (NOT Z) for 2800. in biz.
!
DJ
</font>
DuploJohn-

Did you get miles on UA when you flew on the consolidator tix? Can you provide the name and contact info of your agent? Thanks

Old Mar 14, 2004, 6:35 pm

Programs: 1K, Life-Marriott Plat
They are also NON-REFUNDABLE.

Just last week I had a z to MEX, but ended up canceling it because I needed to go to a different city. When I called I was informed that it was non-refundable; the only non-refundable business class ticket.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.