Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA agrees to honor original terms of Early Bird Bonus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA agrees to honor original terms of Early Bird Bonus

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2004, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat
Punki

yes I am only a low 1P but I registered for the promo the day it came up and kept a copy of the January 21st, 2004 Chicago Tribune that states the original T&C.

I fully expect to get the triple bonus miles, whether or not I am a 1K, general member, 2P, 1P etc. By you saying that UA should only give the original stated bonus miles to people who ask for it or "their best flyers" a.k.a 1K members, you are telling UA to lie.

The people who never ask for it may not notice, but things will always come around in the end to haunt UA. Those who are not 1K should not get it, then just make the mileage bonus 200% for 1K members instead of creating a promotion for all members and retreating on their words.

I just received my 1P card yesterday, and that was my first FF status card ever, on ANY airline and it was on United. I want to fly United, and I will bend backwards to fly United, heck, I even convinced my fiance to start flying UA even though she is in DTW.

She will become 1P this year and I will be 1K, and you are telling me that UA should piss me off over one measly promotion?
Old Feb 22, 2004, 6:24 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro 2MM, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Bonvoy Gold
Well said, indo79. It would be horribly inconsistent for UA to give the bonus to 1K's who ask for it on the basis of "we printed the wrong T&C's on the 1K website" and then not give it to everyone else, even though the original T&C's at ual.com, USA Today, and numerous other publications said the same thing.

I have no problem with UA giving a greater bonus to 1K's. However, that was never part of the deal. Also, I appreciate the efforts of those who have persisted to get what they thought we deserved. Whether I got 4X or 5X, I liked the promo. But if we are truly entitled to 5X--and the evidence strongly suggests we are--I want what's coming to me!
Old Feb 22, 2004, 6:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
I wouldn't recommend that anyone, of any status, eat cake--empty calories=excessively fat, unhealthy bodies.

I would recommend that everyone of every status, who actually registered for this promotion and flew 10,000 miles in the month of January, pay very close attention to the fine work that gfowler-ord-1k is doing on their behalf, and then do exactly what UA asks--call, fax, write e-mails.....whatever is required, if they want to get the Triple Mile Bonus.

I think UA really wants to maintain good will for anyone who is qualified and aware of the snafu, and that is probably why they immediately agreed, right from the beginning, just based upon our polite request, to give us Triple Bonus Miles, if we faxed in a copy of the original offer.

Anyone who asks politely, and provides acceptable documentation of the original offer, will in all likelihood get the Triple Miles Bonus. Anyone who doesn't ask, or doesn't provide the requested documentation, probably won't get the Triple Mile Bonus.

Makes a lot of sense to me.

[This message has been edited by Punki (edited Feb 22, 2004).]
Old Feb 22, 2004, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Punki:
I wouldn't recommend that anyone, of any status, eat cake--empty calories=excess fat, unhealthy bodies.

I would recommend that everyone of every status, who actually registered for this promotion and flew 10,000 miles in the month of January, pay very close attention to the fine work that gfowler-ord-1k is doing on their behalf, and then do exactly what UA asks--call, fax, write e-mails.....whatever is required, if they want to get the Triple Mile Bonus.

I think UA really wants to maintain good will for anyone who is qualified and aware of the snafu, and that is probably why they immediately agreed, right from the beginning, just based upon our polite request, to give us Triple Bonus Miles, if we faxed in a copy of the original offer.

Anyone who asks politely, and provides acceptable documentation of the original offer, will in all likelihood get the Triple Miles Bonus. Anyone who doesn't ask, or doesn't provide the requested documentation, probably won't get the Triple Mile Bonus.

Makes a lot of sense to me.

</font>
Thank you

Old Feb 22, 2004, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; IC RA
The Japanese web site T&C's also are very clear that the triple/double/5,000 bonus will be "in addition to standard flight miles, applicable elite miles, and qualified class bonus."

http://www.unitedairlines.co.jp/jsp/...bird_terms.jsp

(it's the 10th bullet point down tne page, and trust me, I do Japanese-to-English translation for a living)

------------------
The black art of how to gift UA Confirmed Region 1 Upgrades is revealed here.
Old Feb 22, 2004, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP; UAMM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SanDiego1K:
nor4, United allows you to buy up to a more expensive fare without any change fee. It is sure worth checking out how much more that LHR fare would be (as kluau88 has already recommended).</font>
Thanks for the heads up. Paid another $150 to bump up to V, yielding and extra 22K miles.

Old Feb 22, 2004, 8:38 pm

I don't know why everyone is thinking that United has seen the light, here is the response I just received:

Hello Mr. Digbyamb,

Thank you for contacting us.

We appreciate your loyalty as a Premier Executive member with the
Mileage Plus. The Early Bird promotion is calculated as the
following, your actual miles times three, with any additional Elite
bonus miles attached.

For an example if you flew 2,000 miles, you would receive 2,000 times
three for the promotion equaling 6,000. Then in addition to your
promotional miles accrued you are going to receive 100% Premier
Executive bonus this giving you a grand total of 8,000 miles.

I hope I cleared up any confusions or questions that you may have had
for this promotion.

Thank you for choosing United Airlines.

Old Feb 22, 2004, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by digbyamb:
I don't know why everyone is thinking that United has seen the light, here is the response I just received:

Hello Mr. Digbyamb,

We appreciate your loyalty as a Premier Executive member with the
Mileage Plus. The Early Bird promotion is calculated as the
following, your actual miles times three, with any additional Elite
bonus miles attached.

For an example if you flew 2,000 miles, you would receive 2,000 times
three for the promotion equaling 6,000. Then in addition to your
promotional miles accrued you are going to receive 100% Premier
Executive bonus this giving you a grand total of 8,000 miles.

I hope I cleared up any confusions or questions that you may have had
for this promotion.

Thank you for choosing United Airlines.

</font>
I believe if you read this entire thread you would see that gfowler is going to revisit this matter tommorrow ( Mon)- and asked everyone to hold off on contacting MP till the 27th so the information could be diseminated.

Though I personally dont seem to practice the old adage that patience is a virtue , I do believe that truth in advertising is, so hang in there with the rest of us 1P's for another week or so while this sorts itself out

Jan
Old Feb 23, 2004, 6:28 am
In Memoriam

Thank you Gene. You did an outstanding job of getting this done...I for one am most grateful.
Thanks also to United for doing the right thing without a fight.
Old Feb 23, 2004, 10:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
digbyamb
Thanks I guess PremX will get the 5X miles, time to book more trips!
Old Feb 23, 2004, 8:44 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
A quick status update - nada. Sent email to my contact (did not get reply or return receipt). Called 5 times, left voice mail once. I guess not in the office today.

In the email was the scan of the Jan 22 USA Today article, and links to the 4 non-English UA web sites that still contain the original terms. With this evidence. I don't see how the original bonus terms can be denied to anyone who qualified.

And to all of those who have sent me email, there are so many that I can't reply to each of you indivually. In some special cases I have and will continue to do so. I am working on a FAQ web page and I will send to everyone of you that emailed me. Hopefully on Tues, Feb 23.

There have been about 1200 unique IP accesses to the web page. The traffic was getting so much that I had to move the high resolution scan to JBLUA320's web site.

------------------
gfowler-ord-1k
Visit my web page on how UA is honoring their terms of the Early Bird promo.

[This message has been edited by gfowler-ord-1k (edited Feb 23, 2004).]
Old Feb 23, 2004, 9:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
: I solved the problem for me and got 1K today!
Old Feb 23, 2004, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, SPG Plat
Received this email today from MP.

Hello Mr.

We are aware of the discrepancy for this promotion, we have made a note
of your account number and at the end of the promotion your account will
be adjusted.

Thanks for choosing United and Mileage Plus!

[This message has been edited by uncle1k (edited Feb 24, 2004).]
Old Feb 23, 2004, 11:56 pm

Here is the reply that I received last week:

Hi Mr. ****,

The triple miles promotion gives you the base miles times three plus your elite qualifying bonus. For example, on January 13, 2004, you earned 2,887 for your flight from Bangkok to Tokyo. If you triple the
miles (2,887 times 3) you earn a total of 8,661 miles plus your Premier 1K bonus of 2,887 miles for a total of 11,547 miles. I hope this clears up the confusion.

Thank you for being a loyal 1K Million Miler.

Tracy

I called MP today and the agent whom I talked to, said that my email reply from 1K Customer Relations was INCORRECT and that I would get the rest of the bonus at the end of the promotion period.
Old Feb 24, 2004, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Well, I sent an e-mail and have gotten no response to date. I called 1K Customer Relations a few minutes ago and was told (by Kevin) that no decision has yet been made. He would not even take my name to document that I want the original terms and conditions to be honored.

Can anyone tell me a better way to approach this? So far, I've gotten nowhere at all!

Bruce

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.