USAir A320 vs. United Express crj200

Old Oct 5, 2010, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
USAir A320 vs. United Express crj200

Not sure if this is the correct place for this, however, the board's advice has been priceless and if there is one place where I can get an honest well thought out answer, it is here.

Need to get to LAX from PHX in time for a 7PM international departure on American. So I MUST get there in time with luggage....

There are two flights available
USAir departing 2:50PM arriving 3:16PM on a A320
United Express departing 3:30PM arriving 3:50PM on a CRJ-200

Flights both cost the same..

I'm PE so bags and security shouldn't be an issue....

Which would you take?
Old Oct 5, 2010, 7:55 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
The CRJ200 is an abominable excuse for an aircraft. I would take an EMB120 or Dash-8 or even Beech 1900 before I would voluntarily fly a CRJ200.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's a tie for me. The CRJ200 is by far the most passenger unfriendly plane ever built. That said, US is one of the most passenger unfriendly airlines.

I suppose there are some extra frequencies on US for that route, so in case your flight gets delayed, you might have some additional options to ensure you get to LAX. IIRC, UA only has 3-4 daily flights on PHX-LAX.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 7:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
This is a very emotional issue. Some people will do anything to avoid the CRJ. Some people will do anything to avoid US.

I'd take a bus. With all the waiting at the airport, this may even be the fastest option.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 7:59 am
In Memoriam

Programs: UA 1K, RCC; AA EXP; HH Diamond; CC Gold
Take US Airways. Better airplane, more time for your connection in case of irrops (can always book the UA at the last second if US cancels on you), and perhaps for the novelty of flying US for comparison purposes if you've never flown them.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 8:00 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
For a <1 hour flight, this aircraft comparison is a non-issue for me. Flip a coin, heads or tails. I've flown on US on numerous occasions this year. They are fine.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 8:00 am

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Take the A320.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 8:04 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Also, since you're Premier Executive, you should be able to get exit row seating if you want. You may have to do the call-back-and-try-again routine, but I'm 100% on 8 US flights in the last two years calling and getting exit rows based on UA status.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I'd take a bus. With all the waiting at the airport, this may even be the fastest option.
That's a little silly since Mr. Google says that it's between 6 and 9 hours to drive it, depending on traffic.

That time of day, and with *G status, there will likely be little waiting at security in PHX.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 8:14 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by cblaisd
That's a little silly since Mr. Google says that it's between 6 and 9 hours to drive it, depending on traffic.
That's still better than 1 hour on US.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 8:18 am

Programs: DL Plat,AA Plat,UA 1Peon,SW(WN) Passing Grade
If you're open to a different experience, do check the schedule on Southwest for high-frequency service PHX-LAX.

With a "got-to-catch" connection, I'd feel most comfortable with their high-frequency, low-hassle/delay service.....over an United RJ flown by a minor league sub-carrier that's more likely to be cancelled.

Last edited by peersteve; Oct 5, 2010 at 8:19 am Reason: typos
Old Oct 5, 2010, 8:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
Why is CRJ 200 is the worst? I think turboprop aircrafts are extremely uncomfortable, such as Saab 340, Dash Q400.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by UNITED863
Take US Airways. Better airplane, more time for your connection in case of irrops (can always book the UA at the last second if US cancels on you), and perhaps for the novelty of flying US for comparison purposes if you've never flown them.
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
For a <1 hour flight, this aircraft comparison is a non-issue for me. Flip a coin, heads or tails. I've flown on US on numerous occasions this year. They are fine.
Originally Posted by planeluvr
Take the A320.
Agreed with all of the above.

The WN option is OK but no interline bags so there would be the extra effort involved there once you get to LAX. US or UA should be able to interline the bags over to AA if you ask nicely.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
That's still better than 1 hour on US.
LOL!

Originally Posted by peersteve
If you're open to a different experience, do check the schedule on Southwest for high-frequency service PHX-LAX.

With a "got-to-catch" connection, I'd feel most comfortable with their high-frequency, low-hassle/delay service.....over an United RJ flown by a minor league sub-carrier that's more likely to be cancelled.
This strikes me as a good idea, with a great likelihood that Southwest does have a flight to suit your schedule and back-up flights just in case something goes IRROPS on the one you're booked on. I believe that for a small extra charge you can get near the front of the line for boarding as well, so check out seat maps at seatguru.com to know in advance which seat you'd go for. (I've flown Southwest a few times, and there are a few good exit area seats IIRC.)

If for some reason it's US versus UA, then I'd reluctantly suggest US simply because it's earlier.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 8:34 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold, SPG Plat, HH Gold
Fly Southwest. I'd take the Southwest credit over the 500 United miles any day. Full size 737 and free bags.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by skylane
Fly Southwest. I'd take the Southwest credit over the 500 United miles any day. Full size 737 and free bags.
Bolding Mine...what is WN good for if the bags are ALREADY free for UA Elites? Besides Frequency that US already has...and the OP is on an INTL ITIN so he will be allowed to hit up the US Clubs in PHX on his way out to wherever they are flying...if they fly WN...No Lounge in PHX!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.