Wiki Posts
Search

One good move--Rhapsody in Blue

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2004, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

One good move--Rhapsody in Blue

It's been UA's signature song for years, but it's legendary and really classy.

That was a great move, way back when they decided to link the song to the airline.

AFAIK, there's no other airline with a "theme song." Always makes me think of UA when I hear it--and even as a result of UA adapting the song, I have added it to my music library.

Old Mar 4, 2004, 8:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond

Agreed. Opinion hasn't changed in quite a while...who else fires it up for their drive to the airport?

http://www.flyertalk.com/pasttalk/ft...ML/010320.html
Old Mar 4, 2004, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
And here I thought I was going to be the only one glad they kept it...and are utilizing it with the new ad campaigns! (Seen the one yet with the guy going for the interview with mismatched shoes??? Have had a few days like that in the office myself... )

(edited because I forgot how to spell)

[This message has been edited by cawhite60156 (edited Mar 05, 2004).]
Old Mar 4, 2004, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
I hum it every time I walk down Concourse C or B at ORD.
Old Mar 4, 2004, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
When did UA start using Rhapsody in Blue in their TV and radio commericals?
Old Mar 4, 2004, 8:52 pm

I could have sworn that AA had their own 'theme' song...but I can't think of it right now. (I'm brain dead after having been on too many CRJ's today.)
Old Mar 4, 2004, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most of the other airlines had or have "jingles"...short little ditties usually written by some ad agency. United had several jingles ("Take Me Along" "Fly The Friendly Skies, of United") before they adopted and adapted the American classic by Gershwin for their identifying tune.

I can't think of another U.S. airline that has done this.

Madison Avenue and Hollywood have a long history of "taking over" classics in U.S. popular culture. Many old cartoon shorts used classical numbers in corny barnyard settings. And in the 50's and 60's, the William Tell Overture became so synonymous with "The Lone Ranger" television series, that to this day many folks don't even know of it's classical origin and only identify it with that Masked Man.

The choice of Gershwin's Rhapsody was brilliant. There are so many passages available that convey a wide range of musical emotions, that United can usually find passages that fit nicely into whatever feel they want to convey. Witness the latest TV commercial that transitions from dawn, to sadness to jubilation. Very nice, IMHO.

There is an energy to the song that at times seems uniquely American. Many have used it to "cover" footage of big cities, particularly New York City. I particularly liked it's use in Disney's "Fantasia 2000," and Woody Allen's "Manhattan."

But it is very difficult for many here in the U.S. now to hear this song without immediately thinking of United Airlines.
Old Mar 4, 2004, 9:59 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
And I thought that 1K survey was put out because they were thinking of switching to Dave Matthews' "Where are you going?".
Old Mar 4, 2004, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Many a time, but usually before a long int'l flight, and especially if its been awhile since my last UA flight, I play all or most of the full version on the way to the airport.
Old Mar 4, 2004, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
I, too, like Rhapsody in Blue.
Old Mar 4, 2004, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Isn't there anyone else who feels they ruined the song? I hate it when they hijack something perfectly decent for a commercial....
Old Mar 4, 2004, 10:36 pm
Commander Catcop

I hope United keeps the Rhapsody and flavors it someone with the logo "Fly the Friendly Skies of United."

Probalby people remember jingles more than the products they promote.

Except purhaps the greatest jingle of all.. "The Meow Mix Song"
Old Mar 5, 2004, 4:09 am

Programs: BD / BA / AF
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by UNITED959:
AFAIK, there's no other airline with a "theme song." Always makes me think of UA when I hear it--and even as a result of UA adapting the song, I have added it to my music library.</font>
BA have used various versions of the'Flower Duet' from the Opera 'Lakmé' by the Composer 'Delibes' during a long running ad campaign, including the 'Aria On Air' reworking by 'Malcolm McLaren'.

I prefer it to United's choice, and it makes me instantly think of BA the second I hear it.
Old Mar 5, 2004, 4:37 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
Yes, Matthew, but I've got friends who work for BA who would like to tell Malika to P*** Off.

Oh, and let's not forget Delta's Adieumus.
Old Mar 5, 2004, 5:13 am

Programs: WWMFD
Originally posted by PremEx:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Madison Avenue and Hollywood have a long history of "taking over" classics in U.S. popular culture. Many old cartoon shorts used classical numbers in corny barnyard settings. And in the 50's and 60's, the William Tell Overture became so synonymous with "The Lone Ranger" television series, that to this day many folks don't even know of it's classical origin and only identify it with that Masked Man.</font>
"Hmmm, who William Tell, Kemo-sabe?"
Tonto - 1957

As for RIB, it's my theme song for travel. The melody makes me check the seat belt, adjust the seat and turn off all electronic devices when it comes on in the car.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.