Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Its official and ugly, new UA livery, first a/c painted

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Its official and ugly, new UA livery, first a/c painted

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2010, 8:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jss
I do not think anything can be worse than the old blue and gray but the new UACO comes close--it is bland. The white color helps by avoiding the old dismal look of the blue and gray but not by much.
The grey livery at least had some character in it and it had the Blue belly, red, orange, and blue stripes between the blue and grey, and the tail design and signage associated with the livery were brilliant. I hated the grey back in the '90s due to the fact it replaced the livery before which was amazing, but I do appreciate it now for not being drab Euro-white like so many liveries today *coughCO*.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jss
More info from flightblogger site... Word on the street is the first two merged livery a/c are being painted right now: 737-900ER (N53442) and 757-200 (N29124)”
It appears that a 752 just recently left AMA, where Continental does some of its paint work. I wonder if one is already in the wild.

Might call for a drive up to IAH.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by UAL awesome
Well, I don't agree with the first part, but I so agree for the 2nd part. The old old livery of UA will ALWAYS be the ultimate United in my mind...

Could not agree more. So beautifully classic. I can't wait until a "retro," white UA plane comes out. The "battleship" gray and the current paint scheme never grew on me.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by ExCrew
I can't wait until a "retro," white UA plane comes out. The "battleship" gray and the current paint scheme never grew on me.
Maybe a Varney speed lines...
Old Sep 28, 2010, 8:11 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Priority Club
Originally Posted by rkaradi
So not a fan. I think the tulip is more recognizable worldwide then the globe. But frankly I could care less as long as the new UNITED, improves service, keeps E+, keeps 3 class INTL travel, maked drinkd free in the RCC and so on and so on. What really matters, is the new company improve the product we all must/want to fly.
^ Agreed. While I really don't care for the livery, at the end of the day it's the quality of service that ultimately matters. Once I'm inside the plane, I can't see the paint job anyway.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Hartmann
It appears that a 752 just recently left AMA, where Continental does some of its paint work. I wonder if one is already in the wild.

Might call for a drive up to IAH.
Just curious where you're seeing this - I checked on Flightaware and I don't see any 752's leaving AMA....
Old Sep 28, 2010, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by tmm1012
Just curious where you're seeing this - I checked on Flightaware and I don't see any 752's leaving AMA....
Check yesterday. I believe it was CO9971
Old Sep 28, 2010, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Yeah it's a little bland, and looks slapped together in MS Paint, but I'm not so sure the tulip will be missed....

*big yawn* at you all

You could let five year olds design the livery for all I care... As long as it gets there in one piece
Old Sep 28, 2010, 8:18 pm

That livery is 100% the CO brand with the word "United" sprayed on. A real merger of equals would have a much more neutral livery. There is nothing left of UA but the name.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 8:21 pm

Programs: Amtrak S+, HH GLD, AA 1MM, SPG, UA, TSA Disparager Gold
Thumbs down The font...

...what is that new font? I wasn't fond of seeing "United Airlines" in CO's longtime typeface when the merger was first announced. Now all the press materials are using a new font for "UNITED". Bland, boring, and the same color as the logo. This will take some time to get used to.

http://www.unitedcontinentalmerger.com/snapshots#/0
Old Sep 28, 2010, 8:22 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Silver
It's bland, nothing special, but if it gets there in one piece its fine. I suppose. It would be better with the tulip, but it is what it is.

What is going to happen to N75436, Continentals Retro Jet? Will that just stay the same? Wouldnt make sense to right "UNITED" on it.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Hartmann
Check yesterday. I believe it was CO9971
Hmm I see that on the 22nd. But I also see COA9971 leaving here in GSO yesterday morning (27th) at 9:37 am: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/C...315Z/KGSO/KEWR

It apparently arrived as COA9970 barely an hour earlier:
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/C...030Z/KEWR/KGSO

Unless these are 2 different 738's? I live about 30 minutes from GSO and might have to find time to swing over there to do some investigative work. I know we did work installing winglets on DL's 763s (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Delta...-ER/1501764/M/) but I'm curious what could be done in 80 minutes (unless, like I said, it was actually 2 different aircraft)

Looks like the same thing happened on 9/18 - a 42 minute stop in GSO. On the 18th, it went EWR-GSO-EWR, on the 27th it went IAH-GSO-EWR.....

Last edited by tmm1012; Sep 28, 2010 at 8:40 pm
Old Sep 28, 2010, 8:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gatelouse
...what is that new font? I wasn't fond of seeing "United Airlines" in CO's longtime typeface when the merger was first announced. Now all the press materials are using a new font for "UNITED". Bland, boring, and the same color as the logo. This will take some time to get used to.

http://www.unitedcontinentalmerger.com/snapshots#/0
A new, cheap band-aid they did. They say it's "custom". They probably went on Microsoft Word and printed it out in 3 minutes.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 8:39 pm

Programs: Amtrak S+, HH GLD, AA 1MM, SPG, UA, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by UAL awesome
A new, cheap band-aid they did. They say it's "custom". They probably went on Microsoft Word and printed it out in 3 minutes.
Looks like we may also see the demise of two very effective print advertising campaigns. CO, with its "work hard, fly right" motto and confidence embossed in a fitting and recognizable typeface. UA with its artistic fantasy and flair, just as recognizable. Both brands have strong recognition in the aviation community; that's worth something. I'm surprised that CO's marketing department couldn't do better.

Perhaps this was designed by committee.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 8:40 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Not very exciting. A CO plane with UNITED stamped on it..... A sign of things to come...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.