Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Its official and ugly, new UA livery, first a/c painted

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Its official and ugly, new UA livery, first a/c painted

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2010, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
It's okay

I've seen far worse logos, like America West's Jurassic Park-esque font and Northwest's lower-case "nwa" (which made me think "Straight Outta Compton"). This one is just blah.

The globe is the weaker part of it; you couldn't use the tulip with another company unless its name began with "U," while the globe could represent just about any organization doing business on more than one continent. It also bugs me a little that on a 737, it doesn't fill out the tail.

But like everybody else has said, I'll gladly trade you the tulip on the outside of the plane for E+ and Channel 9 on the inside.

FWIW, the old gray United livery doesn't do much for me either. The small-caps lettering evokes mid-1990s resumes, and the gray looks dingy these days. My wife's comment on seeing a new-livery plane at SFO that had a panel on an engine cowling in the old livery: "It looks like the engine's been patched with duct tape."
Old Sep 30, 2010, 9:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DCA writer
and Northwest's lower-case "nwa" (which made me think "Straight Outta Compton").
I actually liked that association!

But like everybody else has said, I'll gladly trade you the tulip on the outside of the plane for E+ and Channel 9 on the inside.
You've already given up the tulip. No guarantees to see anything in return. Jeffrey never implemented E+ on his beach ball aircraft, why would he now?
Old Sep 30, 2010, 10:18 am

Programs: LOL, ROFL & ...
Fake?

http://errorlevelanalysis.com/permalink/2120b59/
Old Sep 30, 2010, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by ftizzy
How does one interpret that?
Old Sep 30, 2010, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Or it could simply be from it being passed around before being posted. Any file save will cause degradation.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 10:52 am

Programs: WN CP & A-list, Marriott Silver
If it was taken by a cell phone camera (as alleged), I'm not sure the error level analysis would be worth anything. I'd assume that's more useful with a higher quality image.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
There will be three 737 aircraft arriving in Houston tonight with the new paint scheme -- in preparation for whatever is going to happen tomorrow. A total of five lines are being set up in AMA for repainting of aircraft. They want to get this dne fast!

Oh -- and the picture from above is real was taken at AMA.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 11:35 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

First flight in new livery is tomorrow.

Ship #442 is leaving Houston tomorrow at 835AM as CO346 arriving in Chicago at 1115AM!!
Old Sep 30, 2010, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tommy777
First flight in new livery is tomorrow.

Ship #442 is leaving Houston tomorrow at 835AM as CO346 arriving in Chicago at 1115AM!!
I wonder how much it'd take to bribe ATC to divert it somewhere like Victorville or Goodyear?
Old Sep 30, 2010, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Steph3n
for a UA 777, overnight paint is really not even possible if all are working non stop. I don't see it happening.
Jeff has made it very clear: Planes will be painted very quickly Gordon style. It will be done in CO fashion, no bureaucracy, they will start immediately and get it done. 5 lines are already up and it will take the planes out of traffic for 3-4 days
Old Sep 30, 2010, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Jeff has made it very clear: Planes will be painted very quickly Gordon style. It will be done in CO fashion, no bureaucracy, they will start immediately and get it done. 5 lines are already up and it will take the planes out of traffic for 3-4 days
http://leadingedgecorp.com/maintenan...arillo-tx.html

So maybe one 744 or 777 at a time.

Last edited by Hartmann; Sep 30, 2010 at 12:34 pm
Old Sep 30, 2010, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
3-4 days is fine. I was making a point to say that no, it could not be in service today and on the line painted by announcement TOMORROW. By Monday? Oh yea.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
CO's current mainline fleet is about 340 aircraft. With the numbers above it looks like they'll be able to average a little more than one aircraft per day thorugh the repaint process once its up and running. I don't know if the shop will be working on weekends, but in any case It will likely be more than a year to repaint the mainline CO fleet and then another large chink of time to paint the RJs and props.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
CO's current mainline fleet is about 340 aircraft. With the numbers above it looks like they'll be able to average a little more than one aircraft per day thorugh the repaint process once its up and running. I don't know if the shop will be working on weekends, but in any case It will likely be more than a year to repaint the mainline CO fleet and then another large chink of time to paint the RJs and props.
The CO planes will not take even close to that long as most CO planes only has to change the logo and it's a small job.

The UA planes will take 3-4 days and trust me, the repaint will happen very quickly
Old Sep 30, 2010, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
The CO planes will not take even close to that long as most CO planes only has to change the logo and it's a small job.

The UA planes will take 3-4 days and trust me, the repaint will happen very quickly
It may happen quickly but it ain't startin' tomorrow. The merged carrier hasn't chosed a paint supplier yet as presentations of the requested samples are being made next week to Smisek.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.