Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

NYTimes: LCCs to fight UA's ATSB application

Old Mar 2, 04, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ TPP, UA 1K MM

From today's New York Times:

"Alarmed at United Airlines' attempt to enter the low-fare market, an organization representing low-fare airlines said yesterday that it planned to fight United's effort to win $1.6 billion in federal loan guarantees, which would be the centerpiece of its restructuring plan.

Their vow is the first sign of public opposition within the industry to the revised bid by United, which filed for bankruptcy protection in December 2002, only days after its first application for a loan guarantee worth $1.8 billion was turned down."

Full text available at:
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/02/business/02fly.html
Old Mar 2, 04, 4:37 pm
Fly

The nerve to going crying to Big Brother. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Frontier and America West both recieve ATSB loans? Amazing....they lobby against the airline that was DIRECTLY affected by 9/11 (which, by the way, is who the loan guarantee was established for in the first place)

Old Mar 2, 04, 5:45 pm

What a joke...

I think Ms. Jean Medina summed it up best:

A spokeswoman for United, Jean Medina, said the airline was "flattered that these competitors consider us a competitive threat."

Search this Thread
Search Engine: